1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Themistocles' General Squad Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Themistocles, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Well-Known Member

True. That's a really good point. I could only guess the reason why Ahnald isn't dropping is because people are too lazy to swap sh!t around on their squad arena teams.

2. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn’t want to disparage his arena shard mates, but if anyone tried that in my arena they would drop so fast he’s get whiplash. Han is almost always going to be a counter to Wat. Stun Wat and take him out. Without anyone to shield SEE, he gets hit right away before he can start stacking. Kylo will beat it without Han, but Rey and SEE mirrors would easily win with Han. I would honestly bet JML with Han could beat SEE if you only use Wat.

. . . that said, you could add Chewie and make that a really annoying team to beat. Chewie puts Guard on Han and the weakest ally. If your only other two characters are Wat and SEE, Wat will get Guard and Guarded allies cannot be stunned. That prevents the Han counter. It’s actually a strategy you can use on any team, so long as Wat is the lowest health ally—including the Bastila-led team. And if you had the Armorer at G13, you could put her in there as long as she has more health/protection than Wat. Wat always needs Guard.

Kylo would still win, but the others would have a tougher time. Though I would point out that there can be unintended consequences of using a team like SEE, Wat, and Chewie. It can prompt other people to start using the same team and you might not be able to beat it yourself. Once you start it, it can be a domino effect. It happens on my arena all the time. One person started using Bastila lead, and now there are dozens doing it. All it takes is one to start it.

You might . . . might be able to beat the Chewie variant by using your SEE with Wat and Armorer. Put the tank tech and beskar on your SEE and then stall the ultimate as long as possible to stack up your damage. But I do not know if that would actually work. Stalling works as a strategy against Bastila-leads, but SEE ignores the defense of Jedi. Against another SEE, you might not be able to do enough damage in time.

3. Themistocles

Hmmm I wonder if Chewie would get prioritized for the first tech though.

4. Electricboa

It's possible, I've never tried it myself so I'm not sure what the AI would prioritize. You can test it with GW pretty easily by just putting it on auto to see what it does.

Of course now that I think about it, does Wat give the tank tech to SEE under the AI? I assume yes, since it wouldn't do anything on defense otherwise. On teams with JML, Wat will always give him the tank tech first.

5. Themistocles

Wat (when used in the duet configuration with SEE) did put tank tech on SEE every time. It was quite nice to see.

6. Electricboa

I tried SEE with Chewie and Wat in GW and Wat gave Chewie the tank tech first, so that combination is pretty much useless.

7. Themistocles

I forgot to do it this morning, so I'm glad you looked at that for me! Ok so that defense is pretty much worthless, and Ahnald's shard chat appears to be too lazy to tweak comps to smash him.

8. Electricboa

To be fair, it’s something I think is very common and why certain teams on defense tend to hold better. Most people don’t want to change their team. That could be laziness or maybe they don’t have a lot of good mods to field more than one active arena team. No one enjoys moving mods around.

Whatever the reason, most of the time people are more likely to just go around than change to go through a team.

9. Themistocles

As I jealously gaze upon other people in here being able to attack JMK day 1 (seriously though congrats @Electricboa and @Marc Tessier ), I'm going over in my head the list of unskippable, non-negotiable teams that I absolutely have to clear.

1) SLKR
    2) GAS
    3) JKL
    4) JML

If my objective post SLKR is to become more of an impact player in LS Geo TB, I figure I must pursue this list no? Could I get JMK faster than JML? Yes. But JML forces me to get a lights out Chewpio squad, and provides 3/5ths of the bones of a decent MM team which can clear a wave or two in LS Geo, right? Is this list a good long term roadmap?

10. Electricboa

Well, that might be up in the air I think SLKR and GAS will stay the same regardless of what happens. But, depending on how good JMK is and what areas he excels in, you might have a tough choice between him and JML.

JML has some great pluses. His requirements might be the toughest, but they also get you some really good side teams. Mothma might not be viable in LS TB without going after character like Pao and Hoth Scout, but she’s very effective even with just Wiggs, Lando, and one other Rebel Fighter. You end up with a top notch CLS team that can do a lot of work in LS TB and it gets you a team that can complete the highest tier of Assault battles like the one we have going right now. You also end up with JKL and Old Ben, who are pretty good. As a GL, JML can actually turn fairly weak Jedi into a decent team, so even if you wanted to use JKL in a different team, JML can still be reasonably effective without him.

JMK, on the other hand, doesn’t really have great requirements. The DS units are actually pretty good in their own right, but not really applicable to LS TB. Though, you do end up with a really good Grievous team between GAS and JMK. Plus, Wat is just amazing all-around. Jango and Cad Bane do kind of go with Bossk to make a decent BH team. The Jedi are mixed, with GK, GMY, and Shaak Ti being great, but Mace, Aayla, and Qui-Gon are lackluster. I like Aayla under JML (sometimes even Qui-Gon), but they’re not doing much outside of that.

Clone Sergeant, Cody, and GK are used for a mission in P2 of LS TB, but apparently requires specific modding. That may or may not be a factor Having Cody and Sergeant is kind of nice, assuming you gear up your 501st for feats that require all clones. And they can also be used under Shaak Ti in 3v3. It’s making the best out of bad characters. Sergeant does help his ship a lot, which helps if you have to platoon your Y-Wing.

But we don’t know how good JMK is actually going to be. Presumably, he’s going to be really good in LS TB because he’s a Republic Jedi. But then you’re going to get into whether you need KAM for him to be amazing or not. That’s an unknown.

For now, SLKR and GAS are going to take you a while to finish. I would say, for now, wait and see how JMK does to determine whether it’s worth going for him or JML after that. GAS will be useful for either one of them, so it’s not like you’re committing to one or the other. Plus, people will still have to get CAT, so there’s a lot of testing in the future. It might come down to your preference on offense or defense. JML is a tank, but JMK is an attacker.

Of course, you could end up deciding to do both. One of the things I kind of like about that option is you can give the weaker Jedi to JML, the Republic Jedi to JMK, and likely still be able to run a JKR team separately.

That being said, if the suspicion about Fallen Anakin is correct, he’ll probably be an Empire GL and you have most of your Empire characters at G13. I would assume, however, that the next GL would be announced or out before you finish with GAS. You’ve still got a lot of work on SLKR to go. But, just like JMK and JML, a Fallen Anakin will certainly require GAS, so no matter what happens, SLKR and GAS are the way to go.

Themistocles likes this.
  11. Themistocles

I know zilch about Finalizer fleets at full strength. There's like 4 ships there and no tanks. In GAC, I would imagine my HT stays with Neg when I want to hard block someone on defense (which is my preference when I have a decided ship advantage). Or does HT go with Finalizer when you want to for sure kill off a Malevolence fleet?

Also...since there's a scarcity of ships on the Finalizer, should I be grinding the Ebon Hawk eventually?

12. Themistocles

Got a +20 speed Speed Set arrow with offense primary. Unfortunately I couldn't get that last 6-dot slice to get another round of speed in there.

Is this a good enough arrow for my future R8 SLKR? I do not intend on using SLKR in arena at all unless it's to whack SEEs with a problematic defense setup (Han in there, Wat/Armorer both in there). My intent for SLKR is GAC and PVE stuff.

My guild leader suggested that it's generally preferable to go all in on offense or speed with your SLKR and that the arrow I have is representative of a blended approach which might not yield as good results as one or the other. Thoughts?

13. Electricboa

I could see that mod working for Kylo, if you want to use it. You figure you’re talking about sacrificing 12 speed for +8.5% offense. I would say if you can still get him sufficiently fast enough, then it doesn’t matter. I have an offense primary arrow with +21 speed on my SEE. I prefer a faster Kylo than pure offense, but it’s always going to be a bit of a balancing act with what mods you have. If he’s not going to be your arena team, he’s not going to have the best mods.

Either way, that’s a great arrow mod. There are a ton of characters who would work great for that. I would say use it now then wait and see where you are when you get Kylo. If that’s still your best choice try it and see how you like it. The nice thing is you can test both. I’m sure you have a bunch of speed set arrows with speed as the primary. I wouldn’t try to compromise on every mod, but that extra offense would be nice.

As far as the Ebon Hawk, I guess eventually. I’m generally of the opinion that it’s better to have farmed a character/ship and not need them to need them and they still be months away if you start farming them then. The Ebon Hawk is an okay ship. Keep in mind Carth and T3 are the pilots, so you will probably only have Carth geared. It’s a good buff dispel ship when used as a reinforcement. And can prevent target lock. Is it really needed? Meh. I guess it depends on what you plan on using your FO fleet to do.

14. Themistocles

So in terms of the arrow mod, any ideas as to what attackers might not need to be all out speed?

Re: Ebon Hawk, I was thinking of bumping T3 to G8 and probably stopping there. What do I want the FO fleet to do? Well in the ideal GAC situation, I'm hoping that my R8 Neg and R7 pilots will be too hot to handle for most of my opponents at this level. Then I'll probably put either my G12 Rebs or my relic Sith/Empire fleet down to back it up on defense, depending on what the opponent has geared. This will leave me 3 fleets on the attack: my relic Finalizer, my relic Malevolence, and whichever one of my Rebs or Sith/Empire I didn't use, as an emergency backup. If I want my Finalizer to be able to kill Malevolences or decent Rebel fleets, what else do I need to have to bring to bear? Do I need to loan my HT to my Finalizer fleet?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  15. Themistocles

OMG that road ahead has thrown me for a loop. I'm too late to back out of SLKR now, but man I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place after I get SLKR.

Post SLKR my push was going to be the JMK route of GAS/JMK/CAT progression to stay relevant in squad arena...but now if Executor is truly a hard blocking type of META fleet, maybe my top tier Negotiator fleet is worthless in fleet arena all of a sudden.

Seems like I might have to pick which arena I want to focus on in the 2nd half of 2021...

16. Electricboa

Everyone can use speed, but a character like FO Sith Trooper doesn’t really need it as much because he assists out of turn. Or if you want much bigger damage out of someone that sacrificing a little speed is worth the trade-off. With a +20 speed secondary, it’s not like you’re losing all the speed an arrow would normally have.

That you might need to look on YouTube. I usually only use my FO against Empire fleets, if I have to. Normally, I use Rebels and Separatists as my two offense fleets. The only time I use FO is like if I need my Separatists to counter a Negotiator of Separatist fleet and the other one is Empire. Rebels are risky against a good Empire team, so FO gets used.

Yeah, that Road Ahead is a lot. But I don’t think it really hurt you too much. You’re still a way off from having to make any real decisions there. Executor is going to be, by far, the hardest capital ship to get. I wouldn’t expect you to see one any time soon. The requirements to get it are insanely high. Piett at R8? Unless someone went for SEE, that’s going to be a tall order. Not to mention if that ship is best with BH ships, that means the Razor Crest. It’s something I’m going to be dealing with, but I wouldn’t expect you to.

As far as post-Kylo, I have no idea how the GL landscape is going to look. I expect Lord Vader to require the Executor, so if you wanted to stay down the DS path you could get both. Will LV be better than JMK? No idea.

17. Laze

Laze Active Member

My experience with Finalizer so far (still at 5*) is that it's a natural counter to Rebels and can easily blow up non-synergy fleets. I haven't tried it against Negotiator or Malevolence yet, but from what I've heard you can beat Negotiator, it's just a little finicky and you have to know the nuances. I haven't heard that it's any good against Malevolence because it lacks a cleanser.

I'm usually taking it on offense in GAC to beat my opponents 2nd fleet. In this latest round, as an example, I beat a Rebel fleet with HMF (R6/R6), Y-Wing (7*), and Wedge (G12). I was able to take out the Falcon before anyone on the enemy side even moved, and won the battle before they even got to their first reinforcement. The only ships I used were the 3 FO ships you have to use to unlock Finalizer and FOSFTie (5*) as my first reinforcement. The other reinforcements I've been using are a low gear Xanadu and Cassian. I think Cassian functions like a better version of Ebon Hawk for this fleet because it not only has the mass cleanse but the assist call as well.

Themistocles likes this.
  18. Themistocles

Well don't forget I joined Day 1, left, came back :D So my fleet shard is technically a "as soon as fleets were created" shard, and might have some nasty surprises for me soon when this ship gets unleashed.

I probably will stay on course with GAS/JMK. I am so DS heavy and there's a lot of scrutiny at the guild leadership level to get better in LS Geo CM Waves and increase our monthly KAM shards, so I have some commitments to honor there.

19. Electricboa

Were you high enough GP to be put into a fleet arena when you stopped playing? I thought if you were low enough, you weren’t automatically put in. If not, then I’m not really sure what to say. I assume there will be a way to counter Executor. There’s always some counter. They haven’t nerfed ships—yet.

20. Themistocles

Yeah I remember dabbling in fleets and enjoying hitting things with Jedi Consular and Ahsoka's starfighter before I left :D

Yeah I'm hoping there's some oddball counter to Executor. I'm totally willing to invest in 2-3 ships that will put me into counters territory. Investing in a whole brand new fleet of pilots of dubious relic worth has me balking a tad.