1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Returning but still new player here....(Help)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ScentofaSith, May 18, 2020.

1. ScentofaSith

ScentofaSith New Member

Hey dudes,
    Well I'm in a predicament. I created an account I'd say about 1-2 years or so ago, don't remember exactly when but about the time of the Mother Talzin Marquee event when she was first released, and so I began my journey into a fun and cool game of GoH. Not knowing anything about the grind or anything, i spread myself thin quick, and tried grinding too many things at once. I then focused a bit and began grinding Phoenix squad (As at the time I heard that was best to do), and then I had left the game for a while because of some health issues. Now I've returned again, and with all the new changes (Addition of mods, ships, etc.) It was alot for me to understand, as well as I was unsure where to go. So, I picked back up where i left off and farmed Phoenix again, and now have Hera, Chopper, Ezra, and Kanan 7*, with Zeb 5*, all of them about gear 5-6 or so. I jumped in to the Emperor event and was able to unlock him with my Phoenix squad (I was most impressed) and got enough shards to unlock Emperor. Now, I am however unsure of where to go from here.

I hear of a bunch of new things saying Seppies is the way to go, grinding Dooku, Nute, Geo Sold, Poggle, and Magnaguard. However I wonder if that is the next best thing to do, or restart as I've read some of the experienced players recommend to other Old and returning but new players (Truly wonderful the mind of a padawan is... hmmmm) I am at player lvl 74 and my highest toons being those of Phoenix squad. My Squad Arena rank is #1686 with prize tier 13, and I'm kinda at a standstill right now because I can't really get any higher, as all the other squads are purple gear jedi, sith, or better. My ships I really am still confused about and not sure where to go from there, if they are even worth it to do and try and unlock levels for, and only go through the motions to get the (All daily activities done with). I am unsure how and where to progress from here and would please ask for your guidance, oh magnificent and great ones. (I wish to get back into this game full force (Staying F2P without Hyperspace bundle) so I can say again once more "This is where the fun begins". I've tried spinning but it wasn't a good trick, as well as a jedi mind trick but my toydarian phone said they don't work on him. Any help would be greatly appreciated my masters, I thank you for your time.
    May the force be with you... always

2. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

I’m probably one of those who recommend starting over. There are a couple caveats to it, though. The only real reason to start over is to get a better arena shard. If you have a bloated roster with a bunch of weak characters, that’s another incentive to restart.

The reason is this: when you start playing, you’re put into an arena with other players who started about the same time. If you stopped playing for a year or two, the rest of the people in your arena kept growing. At a certain point, it’s almost impossible for you to catch up. It becomes a feedback loop for the people at the top. They get more crystals, which lets them gear and farm characters more quickly, which lets them adapt to meta changes and stay at the top, which gets them more crystals, and so on.

The same applies to the fleet arena, except you get put into one of those when you unlock ships. Since you already have ships, everything I said about your squad arena also applies to ships. Except with ships, you can also get zetas a lot faster, which makes things easier for both arenas.

That’s basically the goal for anyone who wants to spend as little money as possible in the game, but play as if you’re a whale. You get top spots in the squad and fleet arena every day and you don’t even have to spend money. You can get up to 500 and 400 crystals in the squad and fleet arenas, respectively, for a total of up to 900 a day. That’s about the equivalent of spending $20 every 3 days on crystals. Long term, there could be other people with the same payout as you, so you could end up rotating the top spots. Usually, you’d do something like rotator the top 3 payouts so everyone gets a chance at each rank.

That’s the first big caveat, you have to want to go for those top spots in the arenas. If you don’t, then restarting doesn’t benefit you much. In the same vein, that also means you’re going to have to be efficient on who you farm and gear. For a while, passion projects aren’t possible because you’re going to be working your way through different metas. So if you up and decide you want to gear up Jawas, that wouldn’t be a good idea.

That being said, eventually you will get to the point where you can pick and choose what you want to do, Let me give an example. A few years back, there was a player in my guild that really loved Clones. That was back before Clones got reworks and are good. Back then, they were basically trash, except for one or two. But they didn’t care about arena or anything like that, so they spent a long time eventually getting them all to G13 R7. Part of the reason it took so long was they weren’t getting hardly any crystals from the arena because they didn’t have any team to compete. Well, Clones got reworked and they finally started doing better in the arena. In contrast, I didn’t bother with Clone when they weren’t worth it. But when they were good, I decided to gear them. I did in about 2 months what it took that other person anywhere from 6 months to a year+ to do. That’s what going for both arenas eventually lets you do. You’re able to gear up teams in a fraction of the time than if you weren’t getting extra crystals.

So, let’s say you want to restart. That’s when we get to the next caveat. There’s a $100 Hyperdrive bundle that you probably see in-game right now. If you restart (and can afford it), it’s highly recommended. You get a massive advantage over other players who don’t get it. And that does mean that you’re likely to see a bunch of people who did buy it at the top of your new arena. It’s certainly possible to do it without buying the bundle, but it’s a lot harder.

Then we get to what you actually go after. I like the Separatists over Phoenix. If you get the Hyperdrive bundle, you get the full Phoenix team at G7, so you’d use them in arena at first, but with the idea of farming for the Separatists instead of investing in Phoenix more. You do get Dooku in the bundle, which helps jumpstart your Separatist team, but everyone else you have to farm first. You’ve probably seen it, but just in case, this is a decent guide to going the Separatist route:

The same YouTuber also has a good video to show you the difference between a new account with and without the Hyperdrive bundle:

Hopefully, that helps with what you’re looking for.

3. ScentofaSith

ScentofaSith New Member

Thanks alot for the speedy reply!
    For reference, I researched and was able to link my GoH account for you to look at for any further advice of where I am...

https://swgoh.gg/p/535739621/

A few things to note. I want to remain a F2P player, as I know it'll take alot of time to do, but I know it can be done with patience, however I want to do it right. I totally understand what you meant about the arenas being matched with players who's rated with you, as that is probably the reason why I am not able to go any further. I'm low on Crystal's now and am at the point where I just have to wait a full day or so just for my bonus energy to come back to continue grinding, as my crystal stache is running thin quick.
    (So in the end, I will most likely end up starting over, I guess I just wasn't sure as I was already Lvl 73 and close to max lvl)

I guess my only last question is, how important is it to upgrade ships. And when people mean zeta someone, I assume that's like a MAX upgrade, but they make it sound like only a few can be done at a time. Are they rare, or nhi perhaps only one zeta per team? Additionally, with the reworks (And some of my favorite characters), one of my favorites are Revan (Both Jedi and Sith). Once I do restart, being a F2P player, what would be the best way to unlock him?

I think the final question I had was when upgrading a team, to go for a legendary toon or so, and then move on to the next one, should you focus on maxing them all to 7* first, and then purple all? Or just 7* and then move on? Because that was my problem for a while with resources and why I spread too thin, is when making Phoenix, I was only focused on 7*, so once I got that I then was trying to focus all my resources and crystal refreshes on shard for the next series of toons, Seppies. Should I have instead focused on using crystal resets on gear farming to get them to purple?
    I look forward to hearing from the community...
    May the force be with you, and thank you for the help in advance

4. Electricboa

Well, your roster is not very far along, so you really aren’t losing a lot of progress by starting over. Yes, you lose the marquee characters, but none of them are of immediate use to you. So I would definitely lean towards starting over.

It’s not just a matter of it taking extra time. The Hyperdrive bundle is gives people access to nodes that you won’t be able to do for months. Really, it’s an unfair advantage. The issue you’re facing with running out of crystals now is one you will have without buying the bundle. I feel bad, since I don’t think CG derives any money after how they’ve been behaving, but it’s worth it. At the very least, watch the video where he explains the difference between starting a new account with and without it. The level of your account doesn’t matter that much. 85 has been the cap for years. It’s all about what characters you have farmed and geared. I would also point out that bundle also jumps you to 85 immediately. Just know what you're getting into if you don't do it.

You can get it at any time, but the value you get out of it goes down over time because outside of the raw gear, you don't get shards for characters. Let me give an example. Let's say you farm Hera to 6 stars and she's G7 then decide to buy the bundle. The bundle gives you a G7 5 star Hera. Yours is already equal to or better than that, so you don't get anything extra for her. That's with all the characters. If you play for a couple months and change your mind, a lot of the time and farming you did in those months will have been wasted because of how the bundle works. So the maximum value is when you first start because you haven't geared or farmed anyone. You immediately get to unlock Thrawn and Palpatine without doing anything. And all the time and gear you would have spent can be used elsewhere. It's something like a 6 month jumpstart. I'm not trying to push you to do it, I just want to make sure you understand what the consequences will be one way or the other.

Ships are useful. I can’t say they’re important. They let you get extra crystals, are used in territory battles, territory wars, and grand arena championships. Long term, you will definitely want them. At the very least, you need ships to compete the zeta challenge, and you need zetas everywhere.

All characters have up to 8 levels for their attacks, abilities, and leaderships (I’ll just use abilities as a generic term). The last level is either an Omega or a Zeta. They each have special ability mats that you need to upgrade the ability. Let’s take Dooku:

https://swgoh.gg/characters/count-dooku/

His unique is a Zeta, but everything else is an Omega upgrade. Generally speaking, Zetas give you much more for the upgrade than an Omega will. Some of them completely transform the character. Palpatine is a good example. His leadership zeta makes his whole team better. Without the zeta, it’s not a very good team. With the zeta, it’s much better. Some characters have multiple zetas.

You get zetas from a ship challenge or by buying them from the fleet shop. You need currency from the fleet arena to spend int eh fleet shop. That’s why it’s a good idea to go after ships. Not only are certain characters and ships exclusive to the fleet shop, you can buy zetas outright there.

For Legendary and other event characters, you will ultimately want your team to be 7 stars to get the character at 7 stars. Legendary characters unlock at 5 stars, but you are restricted on how far you can gear them and in what guild events you can use them in until they are 7. But you need to balancing gearing and star count when going for an event character. Usually there are certain minimum gear levels you need to be able to complete all tiers. For example, I think Phoenix is around G8 or so for Thrawn. They also can be used for Palpatine, but his event is easier.

There’s no real answer for how much you should favor one or the other. And it does kind of go back to what I was saying before. How well you do in the arena lets you use more crystals so you don’t have to decide how to use what little you have/get. Gear means more than star count. But for characters like Phoenix, you really only need them to get Thrawn and Palpatine. They don’t have much use after that. So there’s no reason to over gear them if you’re not going to use them long-term.

5. ScentofaSith

ScentofaSith New Member

Okay thank you, I decided I am going to restart, but not do the bundle. I know it'll take longer, but I am patient and want to stick with it. Thank you, all of it makes much more sense. Is there some where I can go to find the best teams to grind for for and the best Zetas? Also, when starting you think I should go for Seppies over Phoenix to try and get Padme before Thrawn and Emperor? Just trying to figure out where to go from here. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you!

6. Electricboa

As far as which teams to go for, I did post that first video. Didn’t you watch it? It covers the order to go after characters and legendary events. Or was there something about it that you had a question about?

There are YouTube videos on the ‘best’ zetas, but that’s not really going to be that helpful, since what you really want to know is which characters you have geared are the best. That’s going to change over time and you’re probably best off asking here down the road. You won’t really start getting zetas until you can complete the zeta challenge, which requires ships.

7. ScentofaSith

ScentofaSith New Member

Okay so I finally did get around to watching the video and it cleared some questions up (Sorry busy day lol) and I think the only other question I had was when to move on. Like, he talks about "some characters farmed faster than others, and so he says when you finish farming a character, then feel free to move on and start grinding early on the next chapter". The question I have is, what determines when you are finished? Is it 7* and then move on? Purple gear? Certain level trained? Etc.

8. Electricboa

By ‘finished’ he’s primarily talking about 7 stars. Once you get someone to 7 stars, you’re finished farming them. Nothing in the guide really talks about gear. That’s a hard one to answer. Characters required for events will need to be whatever the minimum is to beat all the tiers. Like I said about G8 for the Thrawn event. More recent events have a much higher gear threshold to win. That’s more a case by case basis. This site would be helpful for that:

https://swgohevents.com/

But beyond that? It’s more or less up to your judgement. Generally speaking, you want your arena team the most geared. There’s also going to be natural bottlenecks that will stop you. For example, you’re going to need gear from the Rancor raid for pretty much every character once you get into the purple realm. That’s going to stop you eventually. Anything past G12 is going to be a hard wall because you’ll need Sith raid gear.

Usually, I’d say the arena is a good measure, but the Hyperdrive bundle is going to skew everything. Normally, the people who make it to and stay at the top are where you want to shoot for in terms of gear, but that’s going to be impossible for you because of the edge they get. I guess you could use people around you in the arena, but that might not be a viable option.

I suppose I’d say gear them until you’re comfortable moving on.

9. ScentofaSith

ScentofaSith New Member

Okay so in general, 7*and then move on, gotcha that makes sense. And I assume save all your gear for your character that are used for either legendary toons (At least the bare minimum of gear needed to farm them) and then your higher gear on your arena squad as well as teams needed for higher legendary toons? That makes sense. When you first began, and were going through the first few chapters of your playthrough, what squad Arena did you use and focus on to keep you near top 3?

10. ScentofaSith

ScentofaSith New Member

Also, (so sorry to keep asking more questions, just alot about this game I'm still learning), but what about a squad I want to power up and run just for the fun of it? Say idk, like a Mandalorian or Sith Squad? Should those be farmed alongside my other main character farms for legendary toons?

11. Electricboa

Usually, you want your arena team to be the strongest. Usually, you want to gear requirements for the Legendary events to the minimum to win so you don’t waste anything on them. Usually, they’re not that useful after getting the Legendary character.

My experience really can’t be applied. I started playing around Nov 2015. There were a fraction of the characters and there were no Legendary events. I think the first ‘meta’ was Sidious because he had a universal leadership, but it was a completely different game. Phoenix didn’t exist and Separatists were trash. Dooku was great, though. Back then, his counters were overpowered. Barriss was meta at one point back then. She was so overpowered that she had to get nerfed. And nerfed again when zetas came out. But I that’s completely different from now.

Top 3? Ah, you probably won’t be able to touch the top 50. Even top 100 could be a stretch, depending on how unlucky you are. That’s why I mentioned that second caveat about starting a new account. It’s going to be basically impossible for you to beat players who bought the Hyperdrive bundle and they’ll all be concentrated at the top of the arena. Eventually, you can probably compete with them, but I’d guess it would take you maybe 6 months or more. Maybe a year? They get G7 characters that are simply better than what you start out with. You actually have to farm better characters, then gear them, just to catch up to those people.

Realistically, it’s hard to say. You might never be able to touch the top 50. Like I said, they get the advantage of pre-geared characters as well as a bunch of other gear. If they’re smart, they’re doing what you’re doing and getting advice on who to go after. The problem is going to be when they start getting Jedi Knight Revan. That’s going to be an issue for a lot of teams to be able to beat. Once they get Darth Revan, it’s going to be even harder to win. It’s really going to come down to how many in your arena buy the bundle and how smart they are about using their resources efficiently.

I think arena shards are about 1,500 players. Anyone looking for advice is going to be told to buy the bundle. The vast majority won’t. But with that many people, even a small percentage can be an issue. If only 1% do it, you’re dealing with 15 people. If 4% do it, you’re out of luck in the top 50 for the foreseeable future. And anyone can buy it at any time. So it’s just going to come down to how many people do it. Anything can happen, you could be able to get into the top 50, but I don’t want to give any false hope. CG really did gut FTP players with that bundle.

Those are what I call passion projects and they really aren’t a good idea. They’re kind of out of the question if you’re going FTP because you’re going to be playing catchup for a year or two. In my first response, when I talked about the Clones, that’s an example of a passion project. The other player wanted them just because they liked Clones. Doing it stunted the growth of their account and they can never really recover.

Above all else, this is a resource management game. The better you manage your resources, the more well off you are. But farming or gearing a character that you don’t need at the moment is taking away from someone else. There’s an economics term for that called an opportunity cost, which is the loss you experience when you do something that isn’t the most optimal alternative.

Eventually, you’ll get a Sith team by following the guide, but if you try to get it too early or skip steps, you can end up not being as efficient as you could be. The only Mandalorians in the game right now are Boba, Jango, and the Mandalorian They’ll more come into play when you’re working on Bounty Hunters, but if we’re talking efficiency, then Jango and the Mando probably aren’t on the menu.

It largely depends on how far off of the guide you go. The further off, the more it slows your progress, For example, The most efficient BH team is going to use ones that have ships so you can also get the Falcon. If you decide to gear Jango, who doesn't have a ship, you will still eventually need the other BHs that have ships. There's always the possibility that Jango and Mando can get ships, but it's not a good idea to gamble on what CG may or may not do.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  12. ScentofaSith

ScentofaSith New Member

Okay I understand. I officially started a new account last night and am trying to grind through the nodes ASAP. I'll try my best to stick with the guide and follow it the best I can. And that totally makes sense about passion projects. I'm sure not being a hyperdrive bundler makes it harder for me and makes me need to be more focused than the buyers to to keep up with my arena mates and stay above them. I'll continue to try my best and do all I can. Any last things I should know? Also, when I do get ships, should I level all those up evenly together and do the bare minimum of the fleet battles to be able to start grinding for better ships?

13. Electricboa

For ships, you’re going to want the minimum to finish the fleet challenges, especially the zeta one. But beyond that, you really won’t be working on high synergy fleets until later. The guide does cover ships and when you would start farming them. Ships aren’t going to be an immediate priority just because of how the game unfolds. You don’t even unlock ships until level 60, I think.

I can’t really think of anything right now.

Oh, a small correction. I said the bundle people got G7 characters. They actually get G8 characters. My mistake.

14. ScentofaSith

ScentofaSith New Member

Okay makes sense. Awesome thanks so much!! I'll start grinding and come back here for any further questions!! Thanks for all the help bro!