1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Rebel Y-Wing

Discussion in 'Characters, Skills and Equipments' started by Stormlink15, May 21, 2020.

1. Stormlink15

Stormlink15 New Member

I was looking at the Rebel Y-Wing today, and it's shield disruption ability seems solid. I don't focus as much on ships, but does anyone else think that this is meant to counter Hound's Tooth?

2. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

The clear intention is to counter HT. CG likes to push high synergy teams because it forces people to gear and farm multiple characters and ships. They don’t like it when you can invest in one character or ship and get a long meta life out of them. Hound’s Tooth is everything they don’t like. It’s a single ship that can be put in any team regardless of synergy and make it better. As far as I’m concerned, it’s the single best ship in the game because of that. Any team is instantly better with HT.

They really wanted HT to be the ship version of Nest, except because they never playtest anything they didn’t realize that there’s just not enough variety in ships to adequately counter HT. Nest is still tricky to counter, but there are teams that can do it. So they’ve been trying to come up with counter to HT, but they’ve never been able to crack it. Falcon was supposed to be the ultimate HT counter because it assists all the time and removes the protection up each time. People still used HT because it was just that good.

The Rebel Y-Wing is another attempt to dethrone HT. Here we get into a little ship theory crafting.

Generally speaking, it’s advantageous for you to have a self-contained faction team. HT is amazing and can work in any team, but at the same time you want to have options available if you want to use HT elsewhere. The Republic has Sergeant’s ARC-170 and the Republic Y-Wing. Separatists have the Hyena Bomber and Sun Fac. The Rebels had Biggs and now have the Rebel Y-Wing. FO, Resistance, and Empire are out of luck right now, but you see a theme here. Two tanks per faction. One that you would start with and one to reinforce.

Just as a general-purpose tank, the Rebel Y-wing looks solid. Biggs is probably the better started because of his Target Lock (assuming you’re using Bistan). The Y-wing might be better if you don’t have Bistan, and let’s face it the only people who have Bistan and SRP geared are masochists, people really into ships, or both.

Letting Rebels recover protection when they critically hit and enemy at the same time as they get a little bonus crit chance is very nice. Biggs also recovers protection when someone gets target locked, so that’s a good combo. Biggs takes the early hits, then Y-Wing comes out and helps Biggs get more recovery.

The Shield Disruption debuff also has a lot of use. We’ll get to HT shortly, but it would pretty effectively stop the Sergeant’s ARC-170. It only taunts when it has protection. No protection? No taunt. And generally speaking, being able to remove all the protection from any tank is helpful. Now on to the main subject.

As it is, the Falcon makes pretty short work of the HT. But it does still take time. The Y-wing should help greatly speed that up, but there is a small catch. From what it sounds like, Shield disruption is a regular debuff. That means it’s subject to cleansing. So if HT uses it’s basic, it will cleanse itself and that will waste the ShD. Same if we’re talking about a Republic fleet and Plo Koon comes in. Cleansing the team and there goes the ShD. If you can get retribution on HT, that would effectively be the same. More than that, the description of the debuff says it disables protection, not that it removes it. We will have to see it in action to be sure, but I wonder if the protection comes back if the debuff is dispelled? The few videos I saw had them take out HT before it could get rid of the debuff.

The other thing is ShD can be resisted. With an R5 Bossk, my HT has just over 60% tenacity and HT get an extra +50% when it isn’t taunting. So there’s a possibility that you do everything right and HT resists it and you have to power through it the old fashioned way. The Y-Wing does get bonus potency is the capital ship is Rebel. But the bonus is only 30% and at maxed the Y-Wing has just over 38% base potency. And you could also just miss the attack.

Either way, it’s a bump in the viability of Rebel fleets. My intention is to at least get the Rebel Y-Wing unlocked. Just like the last couple Galactic Chase events, this is a good opportunity to make a sizable dent in the farming process. Because you can get it to drop from any node, you aren’t limited to a certain number of daily attempts. When the Lambda Shuttle event was going on, I got it to 5 stars (it’s my favorite ship, so I didn’t care that it wasn’t that great).

That being said, you pretty much need the Falcon to make it work. And you need the HT to get the Falcon. And even with the Rebel Y-Wing out there, it’s not like the HT will suddenly become useless. And who knows, maybe one day we’ll get Tyber Zann in the game and he’ll be the scoundrel capital ship. It would be fitting if we had to use the Chimaera to get the Merciless.

3. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

The Rebel Y-Wing is likely going to be a good ship. I'm curious how the AI will use it when set on defense in GAC. Will the AI use the Shield Disruption debuff on HT, or will it waste it on another ship?

4. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

Based on how the AI handles other things, it will waste it on another ship.

5. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

Eh, it depends. Let’s say the Y-Wing is in the starting three. The Falcon will go first if you don’t have Bistan. The AI will do Outmaneuver and then the AOE. That will almost certainly get HT to taunt. If HT is still taunting when the Y-Wing goes, it should use it’s special. Same when it’s called in to reinforce. It largely depends on if HT is taunting or not.

They could also have designed it so the Y-Wing will target the enemy with the most protection, which would be good. We would need to see a lot more tests.

Though for me, I usually see HT on defense in GAC most of the time. I leave my HT on defense