1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Reading

Discussion in 'Rants and Accomplishments' started by Kevthejedi, May 4, 2018.

1. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

I know it's not Galaxy of Heroes, but I miss you guys!

I finished reading Lost Stars yesterday, really enjoyable book. Was just wondering if anyone else had read it and wanted to compare thoughts?

Now moved on to the Old Republic novels, noticed a couple were written by Drew Karpishyn, which is pleasing as he was the author of the Bane books which were also very enjoyable.

2. SR-71 Blackbird

SR-71 Blackbird Active Member

We miss you too Kev. Unfortunately, I have not read that particular book, but I am sure others on this forum have.

Kevthejedi likes this.
  3. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

I haven’t read that one. I’m currently reading Last Shot right now.

4. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

I haven't really gotten the motivation to do the new canon stuff, outside of some from the OT era. And for the EU, the Old Republic was the era I read the least of. Outside of the Bane Trilogy, I don't think I've done any of it. One I'm definitely planning on reading is Thrawn Alliances, which is supposed to come out July, 24 this year.

5. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

The first Trawn book is really good.

6. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

I started listening to the audiobooks on my daily commute, makes the time feel more productive and I find myself much calmer.
    I'm more interested in the on going story than the ancient past, although the bane trilogy and kotor are exceptions to that. I never played kotor2 either, mildly interested in the Sith triumvirate.

7. Electricboa

I could be wrong, but I thought the books covered the Old Repblic MMO, not either of the KOTOR game

8. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

I believe they both take place around the same era. Also the 4th old republic book is titled Revan, who was the main protagonist in kotor

9. Electricboa

I was curious, so I looked it up. The original KOTOR was 3956 BBY, KOTOR II was 3951 BBY, and TOR was 3643 - 3630 BBY.

Fatal Alliance - 3643 BBY
    Deceived - 3653 BBY
    Revan - 3954 - 3950 BBY
    Annihilation - 3640 BBY​

But they're all supposed to revolved around TOR. If I recall, there was some storyline in TOR where Revan was still alive after hundreds of years and showed up in the MMO. His book is probably setting the backstory to that up somehow.

10. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

A bit off topic as I haven't read the books mentioned above, but it's nice of you to drop by @Kevthejedi

I finished Thrawn not too long ago and really enjoyed it. I especially liked how they made Thrawn such a likable character. The parts with Emperor Palpatine were great. And I love how they teased Thrawn meeting Anakin before he turned to the Dark Side and became Vader. I am very curious about that and I also liked how Palpatine never said a thing about Vader being Anakin.

Kevthejedi likes this.
  11. Electricboa

Yeah, that was the first time Thrawn was a POV character. I think in all the other novels and short stories he's seen through others' eyes. But if you liked the Thrawn/Palpatine interaction, there's a good one at the beginning of Choices of One where they're talking about the trap at Endor. Really, I think you'd like that one if you liked the Thrawn novel. Nightswan was partially copied from Nuso Esva. Choices of One is a sequel to Allegiance, both of which are Mara Jade stories while she was Emperor's Hand.

If you do decide to read those, and got the books from when I uploaded them a while back, there's a short story that features Nuso Esva and Thrawn at the end of Heir to the Empire. You should read it last, though.

12. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

I will be re-reading the original thrawn trilogy, I know it's not canon anymore but it was so good it's worth the time imo.

I didn't download heir to the empire as I have it already, don't recall the short story at the end though.

Thrawn: Alliances is the first book I've been really excited about in a long while

13. Electricboa

The copy I have in my collection is the 20th anniversary edition. The short story was added for that release. I chose to use a different cover, so it would look more consistent with the rest of the trilogy, though.

14. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

I had that with the e-books in the New Jedi Order, where I'd pre-order the books I'd miss out on the e-books that were added to previous releases at a later date. Did you take your Mega thread down?

15. Marc Tessier

Can you repost that link where you uploaded the books? Cheers.

16. Electricboa

I actually never got around to taking it down, so the old link still works, but I'll post it again:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/00p6gxlmcl0yhyv/AACCbA208y1LUmsgovn0JnOna?dl=0

More 'Canon' books came out since I originally uploaded it, so I re-uploaded that folder so everything is current. The EU shouldn't change.

As far as the short stories, I really only got into them when I went digital. The funny thing is when I first got an eReader, I didn't think I would completely give up paper books. I had, and still do, a fairly sizable physical Star Wars book collection. I started looking for digital copies of books I already had and eventually realized I could get books I didn't have before. One thing led to another and I was getting everything I could. Beforehand, the most I ever did with short stories were the collections, like Tales of the Bounty Hunters or Tales from the Empire, etc.

But around the time I was building my collection, the Star Wars Insider magazine started a tie-in promotion with upcoming books. They would have a short story in the magazine related to the next novel coming out. That's pretty much all the short stories in the 'Canon' section, but there were quite a few in the EU, too. And you can kind of figure out which ones match based on who is on the cover. Like Bottleneck matches with the Tarkin novel or Orientation matches with Lords of the Sith. The really sad thing is they stopped doing that, or we would have had a Thrawn novel tie-in. I guess not enough people got the magazine to make it worth doing.

It's easier to tell with the EU ones, though. Because the Canon isn't chronologically ordered, it's all a bit random. The EU/Legends is by in-uniervse time, so you'll usually find the short story right before the novel. Ones like the Darth Plagueis novel, Kenobi novel, and Scoundrels (I think there were 2 short stories for that one) all are like that. It can add a little something to the experience of the main novel. Take the Plagueis one, The Teneborous Way. In the main novel, we see Plagueis killing his master through his eyes, but the short story shows it from his master's point of view. I liked that one especially because you can interpret Teneborous' vision as being Palpatine, Darth Krayt, or a combination of the two. I always like little easter eggs like that.

17. Marc Tessier

Thanks Boa!

I am downloading them right now. :)

18. Electricboa

19. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

Thanks for those @Electricboa, I was always faithful to the old school paper books, but these days I'm enjoying audio books as they're so easy to 'read' while on the move. I find I don't pay attention to an audio book if I'm distracted by something else, but they're great while driving.

20. Electricboa

I thought I would be, but I think the one that got me the most was not having to hold open the book. I can just prop my tablet up or use a stand and not have to mess with it. Plus, I like to read before I go to sleep and being able to lie down and read is kind of nice.

I never got into audiobooks on the whole, since I tend to read faster than someone would read it to me, but I did check out a few and was very impressed with the production quality. I don't know if it's a standard nowadays, but some of the Star Wars audiobooks I found had sound effects and music to create an atmosphere more than simply reading the book to you. The Thrawn novel had a good one. The narrator tried to use the same inflections when reading Thrawn's thoughts and dialogue as the Rebels TV voice actor. It was actually quite good. I hope they get the same guy to do the Alliances audiobook.