1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Proper Modding

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Electricboa, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

This one isn’t a guide so much as a website that might be useful. Properly utilizing your mods is probably the single biggest issue most people face. You can have amazing characters, but if you’re not modding them correcting, your team will not be at it’s best. There is an auto-assign in-game feature, but it’s completely useless. The only time the recommended mods would be better is if you weren’t using mods at all before.

I’ve been doing my own modding manually pretty much since they came out. swgoh.gg make it easier to keep track and organize everything, but the onus was still on you to actually figure out the perfect combination to maximize your speed. That can be pretty tricky. I know people who created spreadsheets just to keep track of their mods. I just did it all in my head, but I have a pretty good short-term memory.

I’ve seen a few websites pop up that try to do the work for you and the results have always been less than ideal. Granted, I never sought out all of them, but the ones I did try would never actually be able to improve on my own manual modding. Today is the first time I found a site that not only beat me, but did so in a substantial way:

https://mods-optimizer.swgoh.grandivory.com/

Basically, you use your ally code (you need to have a swgoh.gg account) and the site imports your mods and characters. Keep in mind that swgoh.gg will only show a mod if you’ve put it on a character and it updates. So if you get an amazing mod, but haven’t given it to anyone, it won’t show up.

Drag the characters you want to optimize (your arena team) to the right. You want to order them from most important first. This will determine which character gets priority. For example, the character you want fastest will go first to ensure they will get the best combination. As you go down, subsequent characters will be given the best combination of the mods not already used by a higher priority character.

I decided to try it out with my arena team and was able to increase the speed of 3/5 of my team with minimal speed losses in the other two. My Sion was substantially faster than I had done manually (+17). It might not be practical for your whole account, but for optimizing your arena team, it did a pretty good job.

Skywlkr76 likes this.
  2. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

3. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I use Grand Ivory all the time, it works great. I tend to get tunnel vision on my top 3 or 4 teams, and then hadn't really focused on the rest of my lineup. I actually went through and did the majority of my TW team and Raid team roster recently. 2 hours and about 4m credits later, my mods were in a much better spot.

4. Electricboa

The only one I really care about is my arena team. Everything else I have pretty well modded, it just might not technically be the most efficient. I would dread redoing my entire roster. Especially since I don't really have much of a speed priority outside of a handful of characters. For example, I don't have a preference if my FO or NS team is faster, since they both get used about equally as often.

Interestingly enough, I found out that making my Sion too fast can backfire against Revan teams with slower mods. If Sion goes before their GM Yoda, I don’t get a good opportunity to remove all the buffs. That ends up snowballing and I lose. So I had to re-mod and make my Sion slower. This time, I decided to make Thrawn the fastest with 318 speed. That seems to work better.

5. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Its kind of odd, if you can't outspeed their yoda or revan, you almost want to make sion your fastest and thrawn right behind him. That way sion can clear buffs and you can fracture Revan without worrying about taunts and the like. I don't know how Emo Bastila fits in that team now though.

6. Electricboa

Exactly. As long as their Yoda goes first, you want Sion as fast as possible. But if he's faster, you get screwed. It's even worse if you're using the Mail/Nest team. Sion goes first with no real use then Revan Marks Sion becaus ehe's no longer stealthed. It completely backfires. Nest doesn't tank anything.

There's one guy in our shard that already has Emo Bastila to 7 Stars, G12, with Zeta. He tried it in his Revan team, but quickly took her out before anyone could attack him. He's not in our chat and we suspect him of cheating, so we can't ask how good she was. I'm not sure I would take his actions as her being good or bad. He's not the brightest player. It looks like he recently spent his way into being a Kracken (hence the cheating suspicion), but he doesn't know how to play. He can't beat any other Revan team, even though he uses Revan himself. And it's not a mods issue, he can't beat people with vastly slower mods than him.

But I have heard that Emo Bastila 3 star G8 can help Traya survive Mark in a Sith team, but it requires good mods.

7. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I've heard the same. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to whale on her. It's pretty certain that she'll be needed for whatever next big KOTOR thing that comes to the game, whether that's Darth Revan or Malak. So we'll need to have her at 7* eventually (and quickly if they repeat the Revan cycle). I will probably buy the $10 pack and then use arena income to buy her from the shard shop. I've paused on doing that for Xanadu for now and am saving crystals for the time being. That's probably going to be the most cost effective method.

8. Electricboa

Oh, I think it's a guarantee she'll be needed for Darth Revan. Malak is good, but he's not going to get a Hero's Journey event. Part of me is still surprised they did Nihilus and Sion the way they did. Traya was at least difficult, but the other two were just given away without anything special. We're still going to need a full DS team for Darth Revan, so I'll be interesting to see who they pick. It's also possible that Malak won't come out this time. If they do stick to Companions, then Malak wouldn't fit.

I don't think I'll spend anything on Fallen Bastila, though. I don't expect to get Darth Revan the first time around and see no point in devoting my arena wnnings towards Bastila, especially since she's useful at 3 stars against Jedi Revan. I'll farm her when she's FTP, but that's it.