1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Post-Thrawn/Palpatine Phoenix Squad Resourcing?

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Themistocles, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

You know what Boa, all this angst is moot. I just realized that Mission and T3 are my only cantina farms I have left in the short term since the DR team doesn't have any cantina farms. So after I finish Mission/T3, I might as well go tackle GBA in cantina to go get that tank.

(Unless you think Paploo and that other cantina Ewok are a better use of my time to get closer to C3PO after I'm done with DR farming... but as I'm typing and thinking about it, getting the best tank in the game and a dynamite geo leader is probably better bang for the buck than an entire team of Ewoks needed to get C3PO...my hard node farming roadmap is full for a long time, thanks to the DR squad so I wouldn't even be in a position to work on Wicket for a while)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

That’s good. GBA would be the way to go.

Without Wicket, there’s no real pint. He’s pretty much required for the C-3PO event. Besides, even after you get C-3PO, I would still say you’re going to keep using DR. DR with Malak and GBA will pretty much carry you for a while. The only teams you’ve issues with would be GAS, GL Kylo, GL Rey, and maybe Padme. I generally would put DR above Padme, but because of her leadership GBA actually hurts you when he assists. But all of those teams take a while for other people to finish. And you can just substitute Nihilus for GBA, for a single battle if you need to.

3. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Just out of curiosity...would you say a G12 DR team can punch above its weight in terms of gear? I know there's a ton of factors in a fight (mods, speed etc), but are there G13 teams that a G12 DR team could still reasonably take on?

Or is G12 vs. G13 a massive barrier to fights? I'm trying to think in terms of squad arena, GAC, and TW.

4. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks for your convos as always Boa, and others. I swear I do google pretty much everything I'm asking you, but any reasonable facsimile to my questions are from 1-2 years ago and the advice I find might no longer be valid.

5. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

you'll find a lot of that when looking at stuff for your stage of the game. Most of the relevant data is from when those characters were new or part of a meta. There's no reason for someone to do a write-up on those characters today, they are focusing on what is currently new or meta.

6. Electricboa

I would say it depends on which teams you’re talking about. G13 is a pretty massive boost to all the stats of a character.

DR is a control team. Basically, what that means is they use debuffs to stop of slow the other team. DR has an AOE attack that can shock. That stops tanks from being able to taunt. Fear is a powerful mechanic to make characters waste a turn or increase their cooldowns. When you get an enemy below 50% health, you apply deathmark on the enemy leader, enabling you to do massive damage and when the leader is gone, you can more easily put Fear on the whole other team.

All that means you can certainly hit above your gear level, but not against everyone. Outside of the four teams I mentioned (GAS, both GLs, and Padme), you could probably beat G13 teams of other characters. A Grievous team might be a problem, too.

I would say it’s still worth taking DR, Bastila, and Malak to G13. You could probably leave HK at G12. He’s solid, but he’s the least important. GBA is also another one that would be worth taking to G13. He gets a side bonus of having the summoned Brute. So when you gear GBA, you’re also indirectly gearing the Brute—two characters for the price of one.

Themistocles likes this.
  7. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

So, I managed to solo Rancor with the team we talked about with: CLS (l), Ezra, GMY, Thrawn, and Tarkin. Any chance I can solo at least P1 of HAAT using a similar turn meter removal strat?

Marc Tessier likes this.
  8. Electricboa

Not exactly, Grievous gets a TM after he’s hit so many times, so you can’t really cheese him easily like the Rancor. I know Shaak Ti w/ Clones, GAS with JKR, and GL Kylo can solo the whole thing, but that’s not that helpful here. Way back when, the original Kylo was used to get through P1, but that’s not worth doing now. It was basically doing everything you could before enrage and then retreat, but since the retreat is RNG-based, it’s not fun.

This looks like it’s reasonably up to date, since it mentions C-3PO:

https://gaming-fans.com/star-wars-goh/aat-raid-guide/aat-phase-1-teams-strategy/

From what it sounds like, CLS and Han are the best options, but you could probably look on YouTube. Since the raid itself doesn’t get updated, the teams that work should always work. I just wouldn’t go out of your way for anything. P2-P4 are the easier ones anyway. P1 is just a hassle.

But it looks like the TM removal is still there, you just can't use a full team. I guess if you really want to, CLS is your best bet, but seeing as it's essentially the same as the Kylo strategy, I don't think it's worth the time and effort. You mentioned that people in your guild have or are going for GAS. I would just wait for P1 to be over.

9. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I use Jedi Knight Revan (L), GAS, JKA, GMY, and Hoda to solo tank start to finish on auto. You could probably put Han in there in place of GAS if you needed without too much trouble. There are a few other teams that win pretty easily as well, as Boa pointed out.

The key to p1's mechanics is making sure that you keep buff immunity on GG as much as possible. That keeps him from gaining the buff that he gets after he's attacked 7 times. Beyond that, it's about having enough damage to kill him before enrage while also keeping buff immunity up. To that end, you could use a team with CLS, Han, C-3PO, BB-8, and usually someone like Finn. C-3PO is there to put confusion on the adds so that they don't gain turn meter or buffs. Ideally you want to get 2 stacks on each of them and keep them from dying so that GG doesn't resummon them every 7 hits.

Themistocles likes this.
  10. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

I wanted to wait a few days and review a few videos before asking for an opinion on this...but good lord that new Darth Vader zeta.

I'm not saying I'm going to drop everything right now and throw G12 on Vader and a couple zetas...but maybe after Malak, THIS should be the touch up I do instead of going straight away after Padme? My Vader is at G10.5 right now and unzeta'd. My typical Empire team is zPalp (L) G11, Thrawn G11, Vader G10+, Moff G10+, and TFP G9.

The videos I saw seemed to pair Vader with Shoretrooper - which I have, but just at 5 stars and not at 7 stars. So I probably don't have the right pieces to go with this new Vader. Plus...surely CG nerfs this ability, right?

11. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Hard to say whether or not they will nerf vader. The rework is popular with everyone who doesn’t have a galactic legend. If they do nerf him it will likely be narrow and should only affect the interaction with galactic legend characters if they were smart.

he is very good now though, i would recommend him. You can always give it a week or two while you finish up malak to see if they change him though

12. Electricboa

I would say it’s up in the air. Vader does seem to be doing too good a job at counter GLs. At least, I suspect so in CG’s eyes. But as Dagor said, any change would probably be specific to GLs. I would expect them to largely keep the interaction with everything else the same.

I would say it’s worth seriously considering. It really does make Empire much more powerful and it’s something that will stay useful.

You really don’t need Shoretrooper. For one, you’re not going to be countering any GL without a G13+ Vader. And at your GP, you should be paired against a GL in GAC anyway. In arena, sure, but that’s out of reach until you have much higher gear. And Shore is really only there to be a tank. Any pre-taunting tank would work. It’s just the videos are probably trying to do it with an Empire theme.

Themistocles likes this.
  13. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Would you say zPalp is still the ideal lead of the new Vader or would you say Vader zLead is the new en vogue for Empire? I did see some YT vids using Vader in that slot.

14. Electricboa

Against GLs, Vader lead offers more because of the DoTs coming back and boosting Culling Blade. That’s where the big damage comes from. In most situations in GAC, you’ll still use Palpatine lead. I’ve seen some really niche DoT teams that use Mission and Zaalbar under Vader (and the rework will make those teams better), but I would say it’s probably not the norm.

And it’s kind of a legacy zeta. At one point, Vader lead was used a lot, especially in soloing the Rancor. So a lot of testing you see are probably from long-time players who happen to have the zeta on his leadership already. Then there are some people, like me, who will give a zeta to pretty much anyone I take to G13 just because I’ve put so much gear into them and zetas are cheap for me. Not something to follow until you pretty much have all the better zetas done and have a ton of extra mats.

Without the zeta, his lead isn’t that good. I would probably hold off on it for now. You already have Palpatine lead, so there’s no pressing need for another Empire leader. Maybe after more testing there could be a resurgence of a Vader lead, but I’m guessing it will be only in specific situations.

Themistocles likes this.
  15. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Heya all, so since I'm going to 7 star Jolee within this week and Zaalbar within ~2-3 weeks, I'm looking ahead at my next usage of ship energy (excepting Carth Onasi)

The way I see it, nothing terribly interests me except for:

1) Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, but I'm a long way away from caring about GAS. Nice ship though.
    2) Bistan's U wing - I just can't bring myself to level crap pilots in order to get this good ship.
    3) Darth Sion - this is my preferred. I looked back on my conversation with Boa, and I don't think I addressed this with him. I know Boa said to get a pre-taunt tank, and looking at Sion, he doesn't seem to have one. But would this be a more natural fit on a DR/Malak squad than a pre-taunt KRU or GBA?

(No I dont have 5th level unlocked yet, otherwise I'd go after Nest. I haven't attempted in a while as I couldn't reliably 3 star the 5 stage normals at the time. Will give it a shot tonight)

16. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I probably wouldn't worry too much about Bistan's U wing at this point. Rebel Pathfinder is a solid tank though, but bistan is crap. Sion is awesome. He does not have a pre-taunt or an ability taunt really. He gains taunt when a character with the Pain debuff is active. You kind of want a pre-taunter with DR because otherwise a faster DR will fear your entire team if they can target DR at the start. If there is a pre-taunter (usually Sith Empire Trooper), then the Fear will only affect DR and SET. It only really matters if you're facing faster Darth Revans though. If yours is faster, you can usually forgo the pre-taunter.

That said, Sion isn't really super suited for a Darth Revan team. Usually you're going to see Darth Revan, Goth Barbie (bastila), HK-47, Malak, and either Sith Empire Trooper or Sith Marauder or Geo Brood Alpha as a final team, for arena at least. For other game modes where you need multiple squads, you just omit brood alpha as an option for that fifth spot.

Sion is more suited alongside the sith trio characters, Darth Traya, Darth Nihilus, and Darth Sion are great together. They can 3v5 many teams at similar gear levels. Often times that team is completed with Thrawn and Nest or Sith Empire Trooper if he's not being used in your DR team. With the recent reworks, you could even throw Vader and/or Palpatine in those other two spots if you wanted.

Lastly, Anakin's starfighter is a very solid ship, it hits hard and it applies buff immunity, which is key in taking down Hound's Tooth. So even if you're not planning to go after GAS right away, it's a very solid ship to have in your arsenal.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 1:37 PM
  17. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Is Sith Empire Trooper worth it or is he outdated?

18. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I think he's worth it, solid tanks are useful in general. He's a pre-taunter which is even more useful. He's probably best suited for the Traya team I noted above honestly since his aoe gives solid healing with Traya's leadership ability and his basic hits through protection. He's not super exciting as a character, but he gets the job done. Even at 'just' G12, I use him all the time in TB, TW, and GAC.

19. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks Dagor. As a side note, holy crap Fleet Battles 5th level Hard Mode is rough. Unlocked it after finally clearing 5th level Normal Mode...but man what does it take on the 5th level? All G12 pilots, fully maxed ability level 8s? Yeesh.

I didn't even get close on Hard Mode Level 5-A. (Shaak Ti's node)

20. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Those can be fairly rough. Imagine doing it before Hound's Tooth was released like most of us vets... I used geos for those if memory serves correctly. And even then, it was a lot of rng to get 3 stars.