1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Post-Thrawn/Palpatine Phoenix Squad Resourcing?

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Themistocles, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Hi all!

New/returning player here. My context - joined the game when it first came out, levelled for a bit, got bored and left. Only recently returned 2 months ago, and stupidly resumed playing as if nothing had changed and wasted a month of resources and time on my mish-mash squad from before. Then realized GW and Squad Arena were way harder than I remembered, did some research, and realized I had to do this whole Phoenix --> Empire --> Rebel (and picking up legendaries) along-the-way levelling path.

Currently, my Phoenix is in the mid-60's, G7 to G8 and 4-5 stars in about 2 weeks of dedicated resourcing. Ezra is about to crest 6 stars in 2 days, and the rest will be 5 stars in ~3 days. Sabine is a side project and is currently level 50 and 2 stars, but I'm doing a full round of 5 on her per day, and an additional 1x 25 crystal refresh. I'm mostly FTP.

I'm a compulsive planner by nature, so this whole plan and grind sort of thing actually has me hooked. I have Phoenix related questions around where my resources should be allocated after I acquire 7* Palpatine and 7* Thrawn.

QUESTIONS
    1) What gear level do you normally stop at Phoenix? I'm thinking G9 oo maybe 10? Whatever my Phoenix stopping point, I'm planning on halting and dedicating my gearing towards Empire Squad, however should I eventually get Ezra to G12...maybe with a Zeta, since I've seen quite a few people say he's useful end game?

2) What about Kanan? I've read you can't have too many good tanks endgame - right? Plus he has cleanse capabilities which is nice, in my rookie eyes.

3) When I'm working on my Empire squad, I still want to do a minimum of 1 full round of Sabine attempts per day, and I'm tempted to use a 25 crystal refresh on her even then to get her eventually to 7*. My Phoenix Squad will be my only level 85, 7 star squad for another month or so, and I would like to help my guild out on raids, TW/TB. Yes I know there are other better squads for those things, but until I can get them I've read that Sabine can help give Phoenix more guild event viability. Is working on Sabine an ok approach while working on Empire Squad or is this a waste of resources on my part?

4) I actually have a 5* GM Yoda thanks to my original mish mash squad, and I have a 2* Bastila that I'm doing a full round of attempts on per day in fleet. After getting Thrawn and Palp, instead of going Empire Squad building, I could conceivably focus on a 7* Jedi Squad of GMY, Bastila, Old Ben/Luminara/Ahsoka, Kanan, Ezra. OB and Luminara are already 7* and level 77. Ahsoka is 6* level 72, Bastila's going to take awhile at 34 and 2* and GMY is level 50, 5*. Kanan and Ezra will be properly levelled due to my efforts on getting Thrawn and Palp. Should I just knock a Jedi squad out first before going Empire?

2. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

Hey there, I always find these questions tricky since there are so many paths to take for new and returning players.

Question 1:
    How far you want to gear Phoenix may depend on how into ships you are. If you take them up to G11 then you can max out the abilities on Ghost and Phantom. Both are good ships in a Han's Falcon squad with Home One as the capital ship. If I recall correctly, the Phoenix characters often required the same precious gear like stun guns and carbanti. So if ships isn't your thing, I'd say gear 9 is enough these days to get Thrawn and Palpatine. You could probably even get away with gear 8 if you're willing to replay the event over and over waiting for good RNG.

Question 2:
    Kanan's nothing special. He works okay in a Phoenix squad because of Hera's leadership ability, which shares his chance to counter with Phoenix allies. Kanan rarely gets used in any Jedi squad that I know of outside of being used to unlock Grand Master Yoda. Ezra does work at end game as a fifth member of a Jedi squad because of his dispel, assist and decent damage output. He can slot into Jedi Knight Revan or Bastila Shan squads.

Question 3:
    Sabine doesn't have much use outside of a Phoenix squad. Again, she'll help make her ship slightly better, but overall, she'd be a luxury for you at this point. You're better offer using your resources on whatever path you choose after completing Phoenix.

Question 4:
    This is a good question. If you put a zeta on Bastila's leader ability, she can comfortably shut down Palpatine squads. Her tenacity up buff is a hard counter to Palpatine's turn meter gains from debuffed enemies, giving Jedi time to pick off Palpatine's allies before the TM train starts rolling. If you choose this option you're best squad from what you listed would be: Bastila (lead), GMY, Old Ben, Ahsoka and Ezra. Both Ahsoka and GMY are good end-game characters. Ahsoka slots into a GR squad under Padme with JKA and GK, plus her ship is terrific in a Negotiator fleet. She's also required for General Skywalker. Use Bastila to buff GM Yoda, who then shares the buffs with the entire squad. Going this route also gives you Bastila, who is needed for Jedi Knight Revan and he's the undisputed best leader for a Jedi squad.
    Thrawn remains a terrific plug-and-play character who can slot into any squad and shut down an annoying enemy toon. Overall though, Empire has seen better days. The classic Empire squad of Palpatine, Thrawn, Vader, Tarkin and a fifth (usual suspects are Shoretrooper for a tank, Death Trooper, TFP or even Royal Guard) still has its uses in GAC and for TB (if your guild is doing Hoth), but it's probably a B squad at best these days.

Whatever you choose, it's best to stay focused on that faction before moving on to another. It's far superior to have one well-geared squad than 3 or 4 at various stages of completion.

Best of luck to you. Fire away with more questions. There are other more knowledgeable players than myself here.

Skywlkr76 likes this.
  3. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks so much Marc! Will undoubtedly have more questions as I get closer to my 7* Thrawn/Palp/Yoda goals.

4. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Well I guess a follow up option to your response on question #1 is...how important ARE ships nowadays? I have Fleet Battles unlocked to 3-A Hard, which is enough for my current gearing and Bastila levelling purposes. Im #600 on fleet battles but since you have to be #50 to get crystals, I don't know if ships would be a particularly good use of my time right now given my goals (in that I would have to gear all of Phoenix up to G11 to get one decent ship squad)? Thoughts?

5. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

I lied, follow up question to your response #4. If I was to take the direction of a Jedi Squad over Empire squad, how far should I take them all gear wise (Bastila, Ben, Ahsoka, Ezra, GMY)? I've read they're all viable end game characters...so G12-13?

Or in general while I'm in this character/squad building phase is it better to cap it off at what I need to clear an event, say G10 or whatever the case is, and then move on to the next squad and get that up to G10 and so on and so on? Is G10 enough to help on things like TB/TW?

6. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

I’ll try to add a little on to what Marc said.

First and foremost, you might want to consider restarting your account from scratch. If you started when the game began and just came back 2 months ago, then your arena might as well be impossible for you now. Starting over would let you get into a fresh arena. The downside is unless you spend $100 on the Hyperdrive bundle, it’s incredibly difficult to get a top spot early on. If you’re okay spending the money, and you have time to be on for your payout, then you could get crystals there, which would help you grow your account far faster than you could otherwise.

With that out of the way, ships are an interesting part of the game. If you’re able to get into them, you can almost double the crystals you get from your arena. If you can get #1 in both, that’s 900 crystals a day.

The Phoenix team is largely useless in the end game. Getting Thrawn is the highlight of their life. You’ll get marginal use in GAC with them, but over time they’ll fall out of favor. They’re not that easy to gear and the only long-term use is their ships. Of the two, the Phantom is more useful because of its reinforcement ability, which can be used in almost any team. Ezra, Sabine, and Chopper are the pilots. Ezra is probably the best character of the bunch, since he’s a decent attacker and is a Jedi. The Ghost isn’t a bad ship, but doesn’t do quite as much for a Falcon team—and that’s the only thing worth using Rebel ships with.

Falcon fleets are probably the 3rd or 4th best right now (Republic and Separatist are at the top, but a bit far out of your reach right now). The key to the team is getting the Falcon. For that, you need all the Bounty Hunter ships. On top of that, you need the pilots unlocked to unlock the ship. This makes the Falcon one of the hardest ships to unlock because Han is the reward from the Rancor raid, which means you need a guild and it’s still a bit slow. Chewie requires Bounty Hunters to get (it synergizes, since you need their ships), but his event is on the difficult side.

Also, you need the Phantom and Ghost to get the Chimaera, Thrawn’s capital ship. But you should be able to get away with everyone at the same gear you used to get Thrawn himself. You do need other Rebel, ships, however.

While it is true that tanks are valuable, the vast majority of the time you want a tank with synergy with whatever team you’re using. For example, Shoretrooper works best with Empire, Sith Trooper with Sith, FO Stomrtrooper with FO, etc. Kanan is a Jedi, but right now Jedi don’t really need tanks. The best Jedi team is Jedi Revan. Bastila is a strong second, but you use her to get Jedi Revan, so you might as well go all the way. Neither of them really need a tank. Kanan is a Rebel, but he’s not as good as Baze. And the best Rebel team (CLS) doesn’t need a tank, either. So Kanan kind of ends up as Phoenix-only, and they aren’t that great in the long run.

Now at the very end game, where people have G13 characters and relics, some characters who weren’t good before can become solid. I’ve heard Kanan has potential there. ST Han is another. But that is so far down the road for you, I wouldn’t even think about it. There are so many other characters you’d want at G13 first anyway.

Sabine is not really recommended to get Thrawn. She’s better for general use (GAC, TB, etc.), but for the Thrawn event, she is not that great. At lower gear, she’s a little too fragile. And the whole point is trying to beat the Thrawn event with as little gear as possible. Keep in mind, you only need 5 of the 6 Phoenix characters for the event. And for the Chimaera, you only need the ships at 7 stars. The pilots just need to be unlocked to be able to activate the ship So you can unlock the 6th Phoenix character and just leave them there.

How much do ships matter? Right now, a little. You can get extra crystals with them, but they’re also used in TW, GAC, and TB. There’s also rumors that the next raid will be a Death Star ship one. I think people who get into ships have a slight edge over those that don’t because (apart from the crystals), most times you need ships you need at least two solid fleets. TB is a little harder, since you kind of want 2 DS and 2 LS for some of the phases.

As far as Empire vs Jedi, it’s a little tricky because Jedi don’t have a lot of viability. The ideal Jedi team right now, it basically this:

Jedi Revan (L), Bastila, Jolee, GM Yoda, and a 5th​

That last one can vary a bit. Top candidates are GK, Hoda, Ezra, and Anakin. Characters like Old Ben and Luminara fall off the map pretty quickly. You will need Old Ben to get CLS, but that’s about it. Ahsoka is good, but she really shines in a Padme team. She’s so-so with Jedi because she needs a Republic leader to assist and most of the Republic Jedi are trash.

If you want a Jedi team, then you want to focus on Jedi Revan. You need Bastila and Jolee for it and they end up on his final team anyway. GM Yoda and, say Ezra, and you’ll have a solid team. It would be better than Empire. Outside of that, I would say Empire/Sith is probably better.

Gear for TB/TW depends on your guild and what TB they’re running. I’m assuming you’d be doing Hoth. G10 is probably okay for most of LS Hoth. DS Hoth maybe G11 or G12? It’s hard to say because you might not be able to use the characters you gear. For example, DS Hoth requires a ton of Empire characters to be platooned. And TW is really about how strong your guild is and who you’re paired against.

7. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation Electric!

8. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Follow up question - is Ezra worth Omegas to get certain abilities to level 8?

9. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

I think so. It'll make the Thrawn and Palpatine events easier if Ezra has omega abilities.

10. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

I'd say so too. I'd also say omega their uniques, since Hera's lead will let them share each unique with the whole team.

11. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Any abilities of Ezra I should focus on besides the uniques Or should I go with Skywlker's rec and Omega every Phoenix unique first before focusing on Ezra's abilities for other other omegas?

12. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Definitely omega all their uniques, that's kind of the thing that makes the phoenix team tick. Hera's leadership lets the team share each other's unique ability so that ramps up the team quite a bit and it is pretty much required to complete the thrawn event (it's tuned to take Hera's leadership ability into account). The Phoenix team also can do quite a bit of work in Galactic War if you're not able to sim it yet. You should be able to do most of the silver and gold levels without too much difficulty with a G8-9 Phoenix team and some of the purple levels as well.

As for Ezra's abilities specifically, none of them add a ton. The basic is nice for more chance at a double attack. Zeb's basic omega is a nice boost to damage as well. Hera's Backup Plan omega is nice for the extra TM gain. The others don't add a ton of utility. I still don't have all of them with a roster at 6.2m gp (and 196 available omega mats) if that tells you anything

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  13. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Is ezra valuable enough in endgame to omega some of his other abilities as well?

14. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Yes and no. Of the Phoenix characters, he's probably got the most end game utility as an attacker in the Jedi faction. There are several missions in the LS Geonosian Territory Battle that require 5 Jedi (sometimes two of these missions in the same phase, so you need 10 viable Jedi). There are many great Jedi, but making two full teams can stretch things a bit thin. I've got Ezra at G12 with all his abilities maxes (including his zeta) for that reason. I also used him for a little while in the Jedi Knight Revan meta before a team was really solidified in place of General Kenobi. You could still use him there now but I usually use Hermit Yoda as my fifth for the extra healing, foresight, and Grand Master's Training. But you could easily slot him into your second Jedi team or throw him into many non-jedi teams as an extra attacker. He also debuffs enemies and calls assists, so he has a lot of uses outside of his "home" team.

That said, I wouldn't place him as a high priority for zetas or high gear levels with where you are at. The gear and ability mats certainly won't be wasted on him, but he is definitely a solid C+ character in the grand scheme of things

Themistocles likes this.
  15. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

^This.

Ezra isn’t bad. I think he’s a solid Jedi and Rebel character. That gives versatility beyond the Phoenix team. My Ezra is G12.5 with all Omegas and his Zeta. But I think it very much depends on your position and how many Omegas you have.

Right now, it’s safe to say you aren’t going to be using a Phoenix team beyond the Thrawn event. You can go the Jedi route, but I still think the only point is if you’re going for Jedi Revan. If that’s the case, you won’t actually have a viable Jedi team for a while.

But at the same time, it might make beating the Thrawn event easier with the Omegas. Either way, you want to do the uniques first no matter what. The whole Phoenix gimmick is they share their uniques under a Hera lead.

But if we’re talking about the end game? Ezra doesn’t get a lot of use. The closer you get to the end game, the fewer team varieties you have to work with.

For example, I really only have one Rebel team I still use. It’s possible to break it up a little and stretch two teams out of it, but most of the time it’s CLS, Han, Chewie, and two others. You might think Ezra would fit right there, but the mechanics of Chewie’s Guard makes it hard if you don’t have Ezra geared close to everyone else. Chewie puts Guard on Han and the weakest ally (lowest health/protection). Ideally, you want that to be CLS. If your Ezra isn’t geared enough, he could be the weakest and ‘steal’ the Guard. If I’m not using C-3PO or R2 on the Rebel team, I usually put Baze and Rebel Pathfinder in the last two slots. They’re tanks, so they have enough health/protection not to get guard. But both of them are pretty outdated. I wouldn’t recommend doing Pathfinder now and even Baze has fallen out of mainstream use.

I also only really have one Jedi team: Jedi Revan (L), GM Yoda, Bastila, Jolee, and Hermit Yoda. I have other well-geared Jedi, like GAS, Ahsoka, Anakin, and GK, but they are more needed in 501st and Padme teams. At this point, however, you’re probably never going to get Hermit Yoda or Wampa. They’re gated behind guild event currency, but Malak and GAS are there, too. Malak and GAS are way better than Hoda and Wampa, so my team isn’t really realistic for anyone who doesn’t already have Hoda. In that case, Ezra would work very well in that spot. But for me, Hoda is a better character than Ezra in that situation.

And that happens a lot. The further along you get, certain characters get forced into their ‘ideal’ teams and you have to cobble together what’s left. The bad news for Ezra is we could/should get reworks on a lot of Republic Jedi. That could very well mean that Erza will have less end game utility if the reworks are good.

Again, Ezra isn’t bad, but I just wouldn’t go all-in on him. Use him to get Thrawn and probably finish GM Yoda. That’s about it for now.

16. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks for this Electricboa. Are you saying I shouldn't go all in for Hoda? I've been making sure to save my guild currency after TB/TW and get at least 10 shards a round. I'm only at 20, but was planning on grinding it out slowly.

Furthermore I have another unrelated question for anybody out there - sorry for bothering you endgamers with these, but every research that I dig up and read leads to more of these inquiries:

I know the conventional wisdom is Phoenix --> Empire --> Rebels and pick up those associated legendaries on the way. I was thinking and looking at what I've got...thanks to my random wanderings from a 2ish months ago, I actually have 67 6* Clone Wars Chewie, a 50 3* STHan, a ~50 3* Young Lando, a 50 4* Young Han, and a 35ish 3* Dengar. Given that many people warn about the credit crunch, and given that I'm not trying to race anybody in Arena and I'm just in it to collect legendaries/build squads/help guild do raids and stuff....

Should I flesh out my makings of a scoundrel squad and go all out to get the last tier of Credit Heist before I do my Empire Squad? Maybe replace Young Han and Young Lando, with Boba and proper Lando? I already have Tier 2 of Credit Heist 3-starred, and was thinking that getting the credit heist fully knocked out will provide a long term return on investment and help me more efficiently level/mod/promote, etc etc.

17. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Hermit Yoda is a great utility toon. The problem is that he is purchased from the same store as Darth Malak and General Skywalker, two characters that are vastly better. That being said, both of those characters are quite a ways away for you. You need about 66,500 of that currency to max out General Skywalker or Darth Malak. So there is some argument for just hoarding all the Guild Event currency you get and then you should be in a position to push one of those guys to max stars as soon as you unlock them. The other side of the argument is that you may not be in a position to get either of those guys for quite some time and can afford to divert resources to Hermit Yoda first. To 7* him, you'll spend 89,100 Guild Event currency. You'll want to 7* him if you want to use him in raids or territory battles, but if it's just for arena or non-events, 5* might be just fine which would drop that number to around 28,000 currency to 5* him. You could certainly get him to that point and then save currency until you hit the 67000 mark, then use the extra to continue buying shards of Hermit Yoda, but you'd still be pushing off getting the second of the "good" characters.

For your second question, yes credit heist is a nice thing to have maxed out. However, I wouldn't bother pushing Clone Wars Chewie, Young Han or Young Lando for the event though. They have very limited uses long term. ST Han you will need for the Commander Luke Skywalker event, so gear/levels/stars are not wasted on him. He can be somewhat useful in certain teams end-game, but you could also just leave him at G8/9 where you would have him for CLS and not really notice a difference. Most folks recommend doing a bounty hunter team for the credit heist since you will need a bounty hunter team for unlocking Chewbacca (legendary) as well as them being a fairly strong faction in general. The "best" BH team would consist of Boba Fett, Dengar, Jango Fett, Bossk, and a fifth from Cad Bane, Embo, and Zam (most common), though you do see IG-88 and Greedo from time to time.

The credit pinch won't really go away until you've got a good portion of your roster leveled up. The leveling process is by far the most credit intensive part. In late game, credits get tight due to purchasing mods from the mod store and leveling/slicing mods, but I regularly find myself between 50-100m credits when I'm not actively farming mods (or I'm saving up). It takes about 7m credits to take someone from 1-85. I do however, regularly run low on fleet credits because I get caught up in buying mods and there are not quite as many sources for fleet credits as there are for normal credit. Recently we got three new capital ships in a short period of time (really only two, but I had just unlocked Malevolence at the same time after 7*'ing Negotiator), and I had to wait on max leveling those capital ships for almost two weeks as a result.

I'm not sure how much it's been updated with all the new legendary/galactic journey/galactic legend/etc stuff that's come out over the past year and half, but you should check out the pillar system originally developed by Warrior if you haven't already. It works really well to focus you on farming the right toons to maximize your ability to get those key legendary (I'm lumping all event characters under that title) characters will minimal 'wasted' effort. The main problem that people in your position have is that they spread their efforts too thin and end up stalling out because they feel like they aren't making any progress on their goals. You really want to limit yourself to 1-2 regular energy farming targets if you're refreshing the nodes, if you're not refreshing nodes you can probably do 4 at a time there. 1-2 fleet energy farms, and 1 cantina farm. Since you said you're not bothered about placing high in arenas, your crystal income is going to be pretty minimal, so making sure you get those three free energy refreshes each day are going to be critical to your progression. You're also probably not going to be able to afford to refresh hard nodes unless you're willing to spend money on crystals from time to time. If you're trying to do much more than those farms above, you're not going to see meaningful progress in most cases.

Skywlkr76 likes this.
  18. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

I can't begin to tell you how important this statement is. With everything that there is to farm and gear, it's really easy to get overwhelmed and spread yourself too thin. I know, I've been there.

Themistocles likes this.
  19. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

In the end, you'll progress faster and be happier with your progress if you can discipline yourself this way. @Themistocles I would also recommend that you take part in our "A good day/week" thread down in the Rants and Accomplishments section. I know that, for me, it was helpful in the times when I'm farming specific things to be able to track and see my progress in that thread. It can be easy to let a day or two of bad RNG on farming shards sour your mood. If you use that thread you may come back to find that you actually made significant progress that week even with a day or two of bad luck. It also helps to have somewhere to bounce ideas off the rest of us here. That thread has kind of become our "general chat" thread where we all kind of discuss general topics related to farming in this game.

Themistocles likes this.
  20. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thank you for introducing me to that thread Dagor! Will take a look!