1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

My Next Cantina Farm

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Skywlkr76, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

I need a little help deciding on what to prioritize as my next cantina farm. I've got it narrowed down between these 3 choices:

ARC Trooper - I'm going to need him at some point.

MagnaGuard/B2 - I'll need them for both a GG squad, and for the GA$ event.

KR/FOX then Vets - I could finally 7* BB8 and start working on JTR. Now that EP9 is coming out, it might be a good time to work on them.

Any/all suggestions are welcome

2. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

That’s a tough one ARC Trooper would boost your Clone team, but he’s really for a GAS team. And since you need Magnaguard and B2 still, it might not make a lot of sense to go for ARC first. Not to mention the LS Geo special mission for him is pretty much going to require a G13 team and you’re mostly sitting at G12

Magnaguard and B2 would help you with GAS and help with DS Geo. Having a Grievous team is really nice for TW/GA. I would probably suggest going with these two.

FO and Vets are kind of outdated. JTR isn’t that amazing right now, so going for her might not be as good as shooting for GAS. The New Rey could be powerful, but I generally oppose farming for something that hasn’t even been revealed. The New Rey and Kylo will require 15 characters each, and we have no idea which ones. They’ll probably need all the new marquee ones, which would be months away from even being farmable.

Because of all the uncertainty, I would shy away from FO and Resistance. Besdies, just look at Hux. He got a nerf after a couple days. How do we know the same won’t happen to the new characters? And what if FOX might not be as viable with new FO characters? I expect KRU to remain viable.

3. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I'm kind of the opposite opinion to Boa there. For a "legendary" type character like the new Kylo and Rey, you can be fairly certain that they will be good at a minimum. You should be looking to at least unlock the characters needed for those as you are able. Now you do have competing "legendary" characters here with GAS and new Kylo/Rey. GAS is a known entity, so maybe I'd prioritize him. You have more to gain 'immediately' going that route versus unlocking one of potentially many characters needed for the new shinies.

I agree with Boa that GAS is probably the 'right' direction to go right now with where you're at. Where I differ is that I think you SHOULD be also looking to prepare for future events where you can (like I would farm vets over ARC after b2/magna, for instance, because JTR WILL be needed for the new Rey) even if you don't know everything to know about the character. By the time they release that information, you will not have time to go back and farm for what you need without blowing a boatload of money. Of course, that assumes you're trying to get the new shiny on the first event. If you don't care about that, you can wait on some of that stuff. I'm not in a position to wait most of the time, so I make sure I'm prepared.

4. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Also, I think it's extremely likely that they will re-hash the GAS event for these two new characters and there will be some ships required in those 15 character slots along with probably two teams of characters.

5. Electricboa

@Dagor I think you’re right about new Kylo and Rey being powerful, but it’s also a completely unknown event requiring 15 characters and/or ships. There’s a good chance that they require different character/ships to unlock, too. So that’s a potential pool of 30, 28 of which we don’t know for certain. And we certainly don’t know what gear levels they’re going to require. If it’s G13 on everyone, a lot of people are going to be out of luck even if they do have everyone farmed. And CG has been forcing us to use high and higher gear minimums to beat newer events.

The other problem is the New Rey one is likely going to be much harder to get. KRU is directly farmable, but JTR requires BB-8 and specific Resistance characters to get. But the biggest issue is not knowing which characters or ships are required. And it’s all moot anyway, since those two events are likely to happen in January. Given how Skywlkr76’s FO and Resistance characters are geared, I don’t think he could be ready in the time left. That’s even if he could farm the Vets in time, which would be tenuous at best.

On top of all that, the good money is on the marquee characters being required. We can't even farm those, yet. And some of them are almost certainly going to be put in the Cantina. My guess is by the time he can actually finish farming B2 and Magnaguard, the new Kylo and Rey will be out and then we can reevaluate the next move with more information on the requirements.

6. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

All the legacy events, JTR included, are always "on" now as long as you have the required characters, so there isn't really a time crunch there.

I wouldn't put it past them to require at least G12 for those characters. They really kind of painted themselves into a corner I think. The new movies coming out drive new folks to the game and drive people that quit back to see what's new. BUT they also have a continuing player base as well. If they make the event too hard, they will not retain those new and returning players who will see that game for the giant time/money sink that it can be (is?). If they make it too easy, everyday players will complain about losing some of their advantage as a long-time player (that old trope) as every Tom, Dick, and Harry have the new shiny in squad arena from the beginning.

I'm not 100% sold on them needing the 15 character/ships that are placeholders there yet either, actually for the same reason as above. I do think they will need some of the newer guys like Hux, FO Sith Trooper, and the new Finn for the event, but I can't see them requiring anything else new at this point. How long can they really put off the release of those two events before the New Movie smell is gone from the game? At that point they lose any momentum they would have to hook new and returning players. I would think that they would have to add the new Rey and Kylo by Feb/Mar at the latest in order to capitalize on that hype. That doesn't give much time to release many more marquee characters AND have time for them to be realistically farmable without putting them all in cantina, at which point they are competing for the same resources.

Then again, this whole thing relies on CG actually having a plan, and I don't know if I can believe that one.

7. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

I appreciate all the advice, but I think I've got a plan going forward. Here's what I'm thinking:

BB8/JTR first
    Droids second
    ARC third

GA$ would probably be a wiser move right now, except for one thing: ships. I don't currently have a 7* GR capital ship. My options are to either sink a lot of resources into Mace's ship, which I'd probably never use again, or wait until I get the Negotiator up to 7*s. Until I can pass tier 1, there's no sense getting in a hurry to get ready for tiers 2-4. At the rate my guild does GEO TBs, I can go ahead and knock out both the BB8 and JTR event, and probably still have time to work on my droid farming before I ever get enough GET II to finish GK's ship.

8. Electricboa

I don’t know. CG does their Hyperspace thing, which seems like they want to get new players, but everything else they’ve done recently has been pure PTW. The Geo TBs, are designed for G13+ teams. Malak and GAS were entirely money grabs. Even Padme the first time around punished anyone that didn’t buy the Separatist droids in the beginning. I just don’t see them changing course at this point.

Even if they wanted to, requiring marquee characters or JTR basically kill the new Rey and Kylo for any new players. Even if they could start farming all the characters the moment they start playing, you’re looking at 6-12 months. That’s not going to entice a lot of people to stick around.

You can do it with Windu’s ship. All you need to do it meet the minimum GP requirement. If you look at my Windu, that’s all you really need. I do have the capital ship maxed on all abilities, but it doesn’t have to do anything during the event. You’ll get it entirely based on your fighters.