1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

My Kids' Thread

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Themistocles, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Active Member

Yay thanks Reg! The kids will get a massive kick out of it.

2. Themistocles

Themistocles Active Member

So I found this Youtube channel "Still Plays" where this guy did a fascinating breakdown for still developing mid-range players where he advocated for holding many characters at G11 as a staging ground, until you are certain you want to spend the resources to selectively move the highest impact characters to G12 and 13. His premise for doing this is that 1) you keep your top 80 down as low as possible for GAC while 2) giving you the most flexible roster possible for GAC, since certain G11s are still fairly usable when partnered with the right G12 and 13s.

1) Would you agree his premise?
    2) And more specifically for my kids' accounts...does this suggest I should stop their Geo gearing for now at G11 (excepting GBA and Spy whom I'd like to see at G12), and when they get their Padme team, they should stop at G11 for them as well?

The thought of not seeing Padme and Friends in decked out G13 as I'm accustomed to seeing, is somewhat sad, but would you say at their GP level (300K) and stage of the game, G11 for now is the right approach?

EDIT: Another statement he said which I thought was fascinating was that a Mk 5 Stun Gun is worth more than a zeta from a time investment or "ease of acquisition" mindset, and so he would much rather spend a zeta on a G11 to make the toon usable, rather than spending a Mk 5 without the greatest of care. Really interesting way to look at gearing, I thought.

3. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I would tend to agree if your concern is GAC matchmaking. But they will start to fall further and further behind in things like arena and it will negatively impact their contributions in guild events, tb in particular. That said, if the kids mostly enjoy the 1v1 pvp aspect of things like gac, its sound advice

4. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

He’s not wrong, but that’s a very GAC-centered view. The problem with that is the arena.

My disclaimer is the main focus of my advice and strategy has always been more arena-focused. The idea being you get crystals from the arena, which help grow your account faster. And as you move through meta teams, they become your GAC teams. There are exceptions where I’ll go for a character that is more suited for a raid (like Visas for the early Sith raid) or GAC, but the eye is normally on the arena.

The crystal loss will hurt the most. Having a steady crystal income lets you do a lot without spending money. Without it, everything takes longer. You do get some crystals from GAC, but it’s a fraction of what you’d get from the arena—and that’s assuming you make it all the way to Kyber which is not a guarantee.

As far as the Stun Guns vs zetas, that’s basically what it will end up as. For me, I have a ton of zetas. I just gave 2 to Mothma on a whim and still have 80 left . . . and about 200k fleet tokens. For me, zetas are cheap. I will easily give someone a zeta because I have all the good zetas already done (for the characters I have geared). Some of the rarer gear, like a Stun Gun? I’ll hoard that like the One Ring.

It’s a matter of perspective. When you have no zetas, you see all the characters that need them and for you right then zetas are the most valuable thing in the game. Just like you with Malak, you want both zetas but don’t have enough. You can take him to G13 without any problem. But if you play long enough, you’re going to be getting those zetas and giving them out to all the key ones you need. At a certain point, you’re going to get to the point where you have everyone done and you’re limited by your gear. You want to gear someone to a minimum level before giving them a zeta. So you wait and keep getting more zetas while you try and gear characters. The balance will tip.

An easy example is Mothma. In my last GAC, my opponent used this team:

Mothma (L), Baze, Chirrut, Lando, and Cassian​

Mothma was 3-star G7 with both zetas. Chirrut and Baze were G12, Lando was G13, and Cassian was G11. I underestimated that team and lost the match by a few points entirely because I was greedy and wanted more points. I liked the team and decided to gear up Mothma a bit to try that on defense next GAC. I already had everyone else at the same gear levels. After G7, Mothma needs 2 Stun Guns to go further. I dropped 2 zetas on her without blinking, but stopped dead because of those Stun Guns.

Themistocles likes this.