1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

My Kids' Thread

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Themistocles, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

So I figured I'd ask for advice on behalf of my kids separately than my own thread, in order not to confuse the two.

We are on Day 3 of their new accounts. I have them following the Separatist FTP model, largely espoused by Ahnald. I think that in general the Separatist route makes a ton of sense, as the characters are better end game characters than Phoenix, so there's less "waste" there. Padme's a better legendary out of the gate than Palpatine, etc etc.

But I've made one deviation from Ahnald's video - he seems to skip the fact that Geo ships are some of the easiest farms in the game and probably the best ship bang for the buck in getting that Executrix zeta challenge knocked out ASAP. His model has you doing dark side ships like Tie Fighter Advanced which is not a fast farm?? So I'm more or less going to follow his proposed farming path except:

1) Yes, my kids will get Magnaguard first, but as soon as they unlock Sun Fac, I'm going to have them switch their tank over to him instead.
    2) When we've switched over from Magna to Sun, I will have them start spending their extra cantina energy on Geo Spy in Cantina level 4 and split their time farming between him and Geo Soldier in Cantina Level 1.
    3) Count Dooku will be attained via 5 attempts of LS and 5 attempts of DS hard node farming a day.

But this puts me in a bit of a puzzle - this puts me at 6 separatists instead of 5: Nute Gunray via Squad Arena, Poggle via Galactic War, Geo Soldier via Cantina, Geo Spy via Cantina, Sun Fac via Guild Store (and Fleet), Count Dooku via Hard Modes. Should I drop Count Dooku or Nute Gunray from this farming progression? I suppose it's a moot point, as Sun Fac appears to be the longest pole in terms of farming slowness, so this might not be a decision that rears its head for some time.

2. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

You will eventually want all of them, so I wouldn't bother dropping one if it were me.

3. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Let me rephrase the question. Who should their main 5 squad arena team be? Who gives them the best chance to climb as high as possible before we move them onto a new squad in the distant future (assuming we prioritize them for gear, max out their levels, focus on them for abilities)?

Is it Dooku lead with the 4 geos? Or is Nute's extortion too powerful to ignore and I should drop either Dooku or a Geo in the main 5 squad?

I admit I don't know Nute or the Geos very well as I haven't really touched them at all in my main account.

4. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

If it were me, I'd go with Nute + Geos until I could get where I could farm GBA.

5. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

The trouble is that the geos, without Alpha, are not very good at all in arena. Brood Alpha is what makes that group tick, much like Hera does for the Phoenix crew. I honestly don't think either Nute or Dooku make much difference as far as arena viability is concerned. I would imagine that a geo team missing Brood Alpha would struggle to beat even a mediocre Phoenix team. The reason for them being suggested now is that Padme is so strong and the relative investment is very low on farming Geos. It helps that they are pretty dang good in fleet arena, especially with Malevolence.

So it might be more helpful to know what other characters they have available. For instance, if they are also working on Galactic Republic characters to fit in with Padme, that could potentially yield a decent jedi team with Anakin and Ahsoka headlining. They certainly can use the Geos in arena, I just don't see them being super successful with that team. Dooku would give some good control with stuns and counters and a reusable team stealth ability, which will keep the focus on Sun Fac if he's taunting. Nute's leadership starts everyone in stealth (and sun fac won't have taunt up yet) so it doesn't do much to force your opponent to target any specific character. And it also doesn't have the option to re-apply later, it's a one and done ability. The extortion skill is certainly nice, especially the longer the fight goes. I don't think it will make much difference which way they go, pick one and go for it.

6. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks Dagor. This is now Day 4, so their roster selection is quite limited and they only have 17K GP. :) They just unlocked Ahsoka for example. We do intend to level her up along with JKA for WAAAY in the future to match up with Padme when they unlock her. That's their first legendary target.

So for LS we're limited to Farm Boy Luke, Clone Wars Chewie, Clone Sergeant Trooper (another early Padme squad matchup), Ewok Scout, Ahsoka. DS they have items like Geo Soldier, Talia, Royal Guard, Snowtrooper, Tie Fighter Pilot.

Current farms are Geo Soldier, Count Dooku, and Magnaguard.

7. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I don't remember when arena unlocks, memory says around level 30 or something... So having a plan is important for that. I guess it all depends on your/their goals for competing in arena. They almost certainly are going to have folks that buy the hyperdrive bundle in their arena shard once they unlock arena, so they will have to compete with those people for top spots if that's the goal, and they will struggle honestly unless you're spending money for them. Eventually things can get closer, but those folks will get a large lead due to the increased free crystals from arena payouts near the top of the leaderboards. They also will have a larger roster due to the sheer number of characters that get unlocked with that bundle, and I believe it immediately puts them at level 85 as well, so they will be able to level their characters higher than your kids will when they first access arena.

All that is to say, you probably want to temper their expectations or at least have the conversation with them about what they want to accomplish in arena. If it's just to have fun and play with the characters they like, let em do that. There will be plenty of other people in their shard that didn't spend money on the hyperdrive bundle and will have similar 'rag tag' arena teams at the start. Geos as a full team will do ok against those types of teams. They will lose to a full Phoenix team likely, but Soldier and Spy hit pretty hard for early characters. I used to run a team with soldier, barris, stick rey, royal guard, and some random 5th back in the early days. Rey (scavenger), aka stick rey, hits really hard too. In those early days, you really can get away with teams that don't have a ton of synergy if you pick your fights effectively.

Themistocles likes this.
  8. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

I cannot say for sure on the DS ships, but it could have been before the Malevolence came out . . . maybe. Before that, the Geos didn’t have as much value as Vader because he’s a better stand-alone ship. But I’ve always had a soft spot for Geos.

But Geos need GBA to be good, as Dagor said. Without him, they’re just weak as a group. Not to say you can’t use them, but I would say only for certain roles. Like Sun Fac just as a tank or Soldier for the purposes of calling in an assist.

Nute would be the best early Separatist leader because of extortion. Dooku would be worth using because you can stealth everyone but the tank. That means if the other team is able to remove the taunt, they still couldn’t target everyone else under stealth.

I would say something like this:

Nute (L), Dooku, Magnaguard, Sun Fac, and Geo Soldier​

The idea being Magnaguard and Sun Fac take all the hits while you extort with Nute and stall the team with debuff with Dooku. Soldier would be for a little damage plus calling in an assist. Spy could probably work in place of Soldier. Or if you wanted to be more aggressive, you could drop either Magnaguard or Sun Fac and use both.

Maybe if you wanted to shoot for Geos early, you could try and go for GBA.

Themistocles likes this.
  9. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks Dagor/Boa ....

So going to Boa's proposal of Nute/Dooku/Magna/Sun and Geo...dumb question but where does the healing come from? I looked through all 6 toons' kits and I dont' remember seeing passive/active healing which is important in this early game state.

My kids - watching me play in GAC and Squad Arena - LOVE the fully fleshed out bug squad and they would love GBA...however I believe GBA is on cantina level 8 or 9, which is far away, plus he's 20 energy per sim which stinks for these 2 FTP accounts. Also, if we deviated from Dooku/Nute lead, we would have dropped a bunch of FTP resources on them, and we would have to regear GBA and level him and wouldn't that slow us down if the end goal is to get to Padme sooner rather than later?

I suppose a approach to be SUPER economical AND focus on getting DS ships for zetas ASAP could be: Nute/Dooku/Sun Fac/Spy/Soldier, but I have no idea if this squad can pull its weight in Squad Arena to maintain their currency and crystal income AND also reasonably clear the Padme legendary event.

10. Electricboa

There is no real healing on that team. The whole idea is Magna and Sun Fc would stall while you used extortion. At a certain point, your speed would be so great that you would just overpower the other side. I’m not sure what gear level that would be viable, unfortunately.

Depending on how many allies you have, it could be done. I just went in to 8-G on Cantina (the last one) with only Kylo and he solos it on auto. It would certainly take time since I think you can only use an ally once a day, but you could 3 star everything that way.

You could do Dooku and Nute first and then go for GBA. He would serve as a good tank and you’d get the healing. But that would slow down Padme, sine GBA isn’t necessary for her.

11. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Like Boa said, I would leverage some of your game friends and guildmates who have characters like the GL's, GAS, and DR and ask them to add your kids to their ally list. That way your kids could use their leaders in the different modes every so often to clear out some of the harder nodes so they can then sim them. I know I can clear out a couple spots if they want to go that route and I've got both GL's.

12. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Yep would appreciate an ally invite Dagor if you've got the space. You can clear me off your ally list if you need the space. Do you want me to send to you or do you want their ally codes?

Regarding strategy, I'm now wondering if a fully geared up squad of Count Dooku and Nute and Magna and 2 Geos can actually clear the Padme event since there's no healing (assuming proper gear and mods). If you all don't think Padme is achievable with that kind of mixed up Seppy squad, then I'm leaning towards prioritizing GBA even if that means it takes us longer.

The pro of going that route, is that you can get damn deep into Squad arena ranks even at low gear if you've got the zetas on GBA.

13. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

I know from personal experience that a mix team like that can unlock Padme

Themistocles likes this.
  14. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

15. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I cleared out room, just have them send me invites 684-279-912

Themistocles likes this.
  16. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

You should be able to unlock fine with that squad as Skywlkr says. Getting the 6th or 7th star will be struggle though. That's where having GBA or, more likely, the sep droids will become necessary.

17. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks Dagor! Invites incoming.

At this point, I'm heavily leaning towards jumping ship from Dooku or a Nute lead to a GBA lead, even though it will take longer. At least they will have a coherent squad, and I've seen Bug squads as high as the 270s with G9/G10 gear with just the GBA zeta.

Ok so new question - they will soon be able to afford their first guild token farms. Suggestions? As of right now they're player level 41, so fleet is locked and so they can't get fleet currency til 60, and so no Sun Fac there until then.

Useful options in the guild store (given that they're going Geos to Padme route), I see Rex, Clone Trooper Sergeant, Sun Fac. Is Rex commonly used in Padme squads? I was thinking after they unlock Padme, their first Padme squad (since they won't have GK) would be:

Padme, JKA, Ahsoka, Bariss, 5th: Rex or Clone Sergeant? Is that a good early game Padme squad? I have no frame of reference since I'm not close to going after Padme yet myself.

And in terms of guild store grinding I was thinking of them dedicating their tokens to Sun Fac until they unlock fleets, then farm him using fleet currency then switch over to Rex in the guild store?

18. Electricboa

I am not sure about a full Geo team in the Padme event at lower gear levels. All my Geos are R5 except Poggle at G12 and GBA at R6, so that’s not useful for gauging anything. I just went in and tried it. Anakin goes first and AOEs, then he dies immediately from counter attacks. But at lower gear levels, Geos don’t hit as hard and that could be an issue with Padme with her unique. When you attack out of turn (counters or assists) they get undispelable protection up. I don’t know what the minimum is going to be for Geos, but if you’re too low you could give them more protection than you can do damage.

I was talking about using GBA under a Nute lead instead of a pure Geo team. Even then, GBA will call in Geo assists, so it could be an issue in the Padme event.

Rex can be used with Padme teams, but he’s not incredibly useful. His tenacity up is redundant with Padme’s kit. Rex will give you a TM books and that’s about it. The important thing is he’s Republic. Outside of that, he’s just a placeholder until you get GK.

The main issue with a Padme team early game is lack of GK. Fives would probably be better than Rex because he’s a tank. Really, you could actually try throwing GBA on a Padme team, if you wanted. Padme and GBA don’t help each other, but you would have already geared GBA so it’s easier than gearing someone brand new.

For guild shipments, I would say Sun Fac is the most useful. I would probably farm him from both the guild store and fleet shipments. Both of them are random, so there’s no guarantee. Really, I would say you could farm two characters. Save up a little reserve of maybe 1,200 – 2,000 currency. Then you farm two things simultaneously with everything above that. The reserve is there in case you use up all your currency and your primary farm (Sun Fac in this case) shows up.

Your second guild store farm would probably be Dengar or Ewok Elder/Logray, depending on whether you plan on doing Chewie or C-3PO first. Of the three, Dengar and Logray are exclusive to the guild store. Elder has a hard node, but that’s time consuming.

For the fleet store, your second would probably be Vader or Grievous. Vader is exclusive there. Grievous is also in the shard shop, but the cost in insanely inflated there. Vader would have more immediate use. Grievous doesn’t really get useful until you’re going for Separatist droids and even than at G12 or G13. Grievous is very good, but there’s a much higher investment wall to get over first. Vader has his ship, which is very good early game, plus Palpatine and Thrawn, who are pretty easy to get after you do Padme.

Themistocles likes this.
  19. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

So I went and looked for reddit threads with geos clearing the Padme event. It appears that a range of G11, possibly some G10 might be able to clear it. That begs the question then, is the Padme event with a "normal" team supposed to be capable of being cleared at sub G11-gear or does G11 to G12 sound about right for the Padme event?

20. Electricboa

G10/G11 is actually a lot better than I expected. I was kind of expecting G12. I’m not sure if Nute could do better. Another thing I can’t really test. My Separatists somehow ended up one of my most developed factions.

Wait, are we talking about just unlocking or getting her to 7 stars? If it’s just unlocking, the threshold should be lower.

I did look around and found this thread of teams people used. It was after the Separatist reworks:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.sta...mvp-of-the-padme-event-the-mighty-nute-gunray

Unfortunately, all the Nute teams I saw used Grievous. A lot of people had farmed him and Grievous was pretty much required to beat the Padme event before the reworks came out.