1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Low Level GP vs. Bugs in GAC

Discussion in 'Battle Advice' started by Themistocles, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

See profile for my SWGOH.GG. Thankfully I haven't seen too many bug squads in GAC at my low GP level of 1.5M. Unfortunately, the guy I'm up against for 1st place in this round has a bug team.

Nope I don't have Traya or a well geared Mother Talzin Nightsisters squad. Any ideas as to counters? Only thing I can think of is my typical zPalpatine team with Vader, Thrawn, Tarkin, and TFP. Gear ranges from G11/G10 and TFP is G9. Don't think that will be enough.

I normally leave a trap team of my zBossk led BH squad hiding in the back and that's how I got my first two wins this round. I don't know if I can save him this time though. This guy has a much deeper roster (for some reason I'm paired against a 1.73M GP guy even though that's out of my division) and a fully stocked JKR team with all the right zetas. Has some other nicely zeta'd characters in the G10/G11 range. I don't know if I can reserve my Bossk team for defense this time around. I think I need all hands on deck on offense.

Thoughts?

2. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

To take on the bug team I was thinking about a hybrid team of zPalp, Thrawn, Vader, Boba, Jango?

I was also thinking about flipping the lead on my BH team so that Jango is lead for the faster speed, and I think I can gain contract faster than with Bossk's...but he's not zeta'd.

3. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

That’s a tough one. Geos are problematic until you get Traya. If I had to take a guess, I would say:

Palpatine (L), Vader, Thrawn, Tarkin, and maybe Nihilus or Dooku​

If you use Nihilus, the idea would be to throw out debuffs and use Annihilate on GBA. Make sure to Shock Brute and then use Nihilus’ basic to remove the buff so you can go after GBA directly and Fracture him.

Dooku would be more of a longer-term play relying on throwing out a ton of debuffs and slowly whittling them down. Here you need to do is Fracture the Brute and go straight for GBA.

I'm not sure which one I would go with. Maybe Dooku so you can save Nihilus for another team? A lot depends on the gear level of the Geos, the higher they go, the more you need a hard counter to them. Eventually, even Traya becomes outclassed if most of the team is G13 with relics. You can still try Traya, but it’s a lot more RNG. Even just Spy at G13 can be an issue for Traya, if you get unlucky. If all or almost all the team is has relics, Padme is the safest counter. But that’s down the road.

4. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

My first ever kill against a bug team!! And 59 banners!! Granted, GBA was only G9 and 5 or 6 stars, but he had both zetas. The other bugs were varying around G11 to G8.

I ended using Jango lead, even without the zeta, it worked like a charm. They all got hit with burning as the first step. Then I started going to assist town, and I was able to get contract on the bugs way faster than I had in the past with Bossk's lead. I love Bossk's lead normally, but against bugs, if the one bug dude is stealthed and he's the weakest one, then I'm screwed.

I also made a key swap and got rid of Cad Bane for Greef. Even at 4 stars, at G8, and all abilities at level 3, he was a huge contributor more so than Cad ever was. Once Jango lit everybody on fire, I hit Bossk's assist ability, then Boba's AOE, then Dengar's AOE, which got me the contract, then Greef's Bring Em In Cold killed off GBA. I was in shock. The rest was easy pickings. And then to top it off, Greef replenished 3 toons to full protection at the end of the fight for the extra banners. Couldn't have scripted it any better.

It's funny, my kids are starting to pick up on the "hard" opponents in this game, and me talking about having to go up against a Bug team has the same effect on them as the boogeyman. When they saw me take down that team, a spontaneous kids dance erupted.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Marc Tessier likes this.
  5. Electricboa

Congrats.

Just wait till they start their own accounts and you can impart all your wisdom on them.

Themistocles likes this.
  6. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

The bug team falls apart rather quickly once GBA is dead. He should be target A every single time. The nice thing with Jango and Boba is that they can avoid taunt while they have their unique buff. And Jango's lead gives all BH that buff. So it certainly works well against mediocre bugs. Faster, higher geared bugs can't be countered by most BH teams.

I generally use Traya or Padme as Boa mentioned. It definitely helps to push them to G13 though because Geo Spy in particular can hit like a truck and take out someone like Traya and completely ruin you. Padme usually works ok though

7. Electricboa

There is talk now that the newly buffed Vader could be a counter to Geos. But that would likely mean at least one zeta on the Merciless special. No Escape gets a little better because it removes stealth, which could interfere with the Merciless mechanic. That would apply to Geo Spy.

8. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I'm hearing that, at least for now, he can be used to beat good Rey teams. His Culling Blade can hit for upwards of 400k on Rey, which is enough to one shot most Rey's out there. The team in question was Vader (L) r5, DR r5, Sion G12, Wat G11, Thrawn r5 adn they beat the Rey, JKR, GAS, Hoda, GK comp. Not sure if it would work the same against the team with Wat in place of Hoda.

I would guess that it will see a nerf, either in a buff to Rey or a nerf bat to Vader somehow. Those that spent on GL will likely be in uproar that they can be beaten with a legacy character that got reworked. This just reminds me of when it was discovered that Palp lead could destroy DR+Malak early on.

9. Electricboa

You don’t even need that much for Rey:

R3 Vader, everyone else G12 or G11. Wat is G13 in that team, but you don’t need him that high.

10. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

I watched the It's Just Ian video and he even had Culling Blade hit for a shade under 500k at times.

They may change Wat so that he can only give out his tech to Separatists, although I'm not sure that would be enough to stop Vader from beating Rey. You could slip in Hoda to give Vader Master's Training, which would give him +25% offense.

It almost seems like CG has decided they want SLKR to be vastly superior so players who chose Rey will now feel compelled to go after Kylo.

11. Electricboa

I don’t know, a Wat change would certainly hinder the GL counters (since he’s in almost every one), but he’s been out for so long that I can’t see them doing it. Worst case scenario, they would buff the GLs with something like ‘enemies can’t take a bonus turn at the start of a fight.’

I’m not sure what they’re doing with Kylo. I wonder if the early talk about Kylo being really bad got to them and they’re overcompensating or they are trying to force the majority of people who went for Rey to now do Kylo.

I think it just might be the fact that the counters to Kylo were simpler. The Rey counters needed specific characters and a certain order to do things. GAS was always Kylo’s big problem and I think most people who got Kylo were in arena where everyone else had GAS. So they wanted to prevent a team so many people were using anyway from just being able to straight up win without any change.

When it comes to the Vader thing, I’m guessing that it’s just CG not testing anything. All they ever seem to do is test a character within their own faction and never against raids or meta teams. Just enough so they can see the mechanics don’t crash the game. They never think about interactions outside of the faction. So Vader was almost certainly tested with only Empire and probably against some random Rebels.

The big reason Rey is easier to counter (to me), is that she always wastes her first turn. Sure, she always goes first, but it’s a free turn for your counter team. Kylo doesn’t give that. He stuns right away and that can mess with a lot of counters.

But the Fives thing was just their own fault. They wanted to hard code Rey and Kylo to go after Fives in a cheap attempt to one-up the GAS teams. Remember that Rey was going after Fives before, too, when GAS was still standing and she could never take Fives out because of it. They fixed her AI, but not Kylo.

For me, I would just as soon keep almost any counter. Malak should never have been buffed to counter Palpatine and Kylo shouldn’t have been buffed to counter GAS. On the other hand, I don’t like hard coding the AI to attack certain characters. If it makes sense with their kit, like Vader’s Merciless go after different characters each time, then do it. But having JKR go after Traya or Kylo going after Fives is just inviting problems.