1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Looking for roster advice from the group

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Dgmr, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

Congrats, that's a big step.

2. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Thanks - and @Electricboa and everyone else who has provided advice and encouragement, it’s much appreciated! The high quality advice and discussion here is really great. No doubt I’ll come back with more questions!

3. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Well-Known Member

Congrats

4. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Thanks @Skywlkr76 !

OK, couple of thoughts I’d be curious to hear reaction to. First squad arena…I’m thinking I use DR (L), Bastila, HK, Malak and a fifth - which I’m thinking is Vader. But, I feel like I miss having Palp in the line up and am seeing him used a bit still. So have also been playing with Palp (L), Vader, DR, Bastila, Malak. It’s early so hard to tell - thoughts?

FO farming…turning to the long road for SLKR. Is there a best order to do this? I have all the FO characters activated except Hux and Sith Trooper. Better to get Hux early and build up a decent FO squad, or just follow the sequence of requirements in the journey path?

5. Laze

Laze Active Member

I always prefered DR lead with Vader in squad arena. Don’t get me wrong, Palp lead is a lot of fun and I used it in arena before getting JKR, but DR is just better. The ferocity really amps up your speed and damage, which is what makes DR teams so good. And the deathmark on the enemy leader is also quite useful.

As for a fifth member, even though Vader has been nerfed, he’s still pretty good on offense against the teams you’re likely to face, such as Padme, JKR, and mirrors. The exception is DR mirrors where your DR is slower, then you want a pretaunt like SET, KRU, or GBA to eat the initial fear. Vader is less good on defense when under DR because he opens with force crush, which works much better under Palpatine. I would skip Palpatine in your arena squad (GAC is a different story, where he can still lead an empire team).

For SLKR, there are many ways to do it. Hux, KRU, and Sith Trooper are the best characters. KRU is probably worth an R5 early since he’s an amazing tank (really useful for conquest feats too). Damage dealers like Sith Trooper and FOX can benefit from some relic levels too, but I wouldn’t go too crazy if you don’t want to screw up your GAC matchups. R0 is a good target for supports like Hux and FOO or less good characters like the tie pilots and Phasma. OG Kylo is a very good soloist for GAC (at R7 he easily solos Old Republic and Ewoks).

The other thing to remember is not to sleep on the ships. You need a bunch at 7* to unlock Finalizer, then you have an additional 3 months after unlock to get the shards for 5*, unless you spend a lot of crystals. You can kind of map out how long it’s all going to take and gear up your characters as you go, stopping when they’re at a usable level and hoarding the rest of the relic mats. I believe that’s roughly how I did it.

Good luck!

6. Electricboa

The only other thing I would add is a Palpatine lead is pretty much ruined if you run into anyone with a Malak on their team. Malak prevents enemy Sith from gaining TM.

7. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Thanks, helpful and makes sense. I’ll put DR with Vader as the fifth into arena. @Laze I see your point. I’ve been running Palp/Vader for awhile so the nudge is helpful. Yeah, the stun and MM combo becomes a bit addicting!

For FO, is the initial team then something like KRU (L), Hux, FOO, KR, FOE? In my arena shard I see a lot of SLKR teams with FOST so wasn’t sure. I admittedly need to get better acquainted with FO, haven’t used them so far.

Good reminder on ships!

8. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

I’m gonna throw one more out there…

I’ve got a zeta burning a hole in my pocket. On my arena team the only opportunity left is Vader’s Inspiring Through Fear (but he’s obviously not in the lead). I’m not plannng to run Palp in arena now but could zeta Crackling Doom. Otherwise it’s anything FO (KRU?), CLS Learn Control or Rebel Maneuvers, or Han’s Shoots First. The rebels aren’t very strong yet, more my side project.

Any must haves or avoids I’ve missed?

9. Electricboa

For the FO team, I would say use FO Sith Trooper instead of FOO. The AI never uses FOO correctly. That’s actually why SLKR teams normally use FOST on defense. That, and to protect SLKR from being attacked directly. It isn’t as important to run two tanks on a non-GL team, though.

As far as your FO leader, KRU and Hux are about equally as good. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. KRU is more of a defensive lead because of the healing. Hux is more aggressive, since his lead (as long as he’s on the field) will let his team counterattack and prevent the enemy team from doing so.

As far as the zeta, I would say wait on the Rebels until they’re stronger. The whole point of the team is to do a lot of damage, which you really won’t be getting right now.

Vader’s lead is a mixed bag. It’s good and you will likely make use of it down the road, but not right now. Pre-nerf, it would have been a lot more desirable.

Cackling Doom gives Palpatine more durability, which is nice for him. It’s just you won’t be using him as much, so the need for him to have that extra protection isn’t as important.

I would say the best on to do would be KRU’s unique because that gives him taunt at the beginning of the fight. You can use Hux lead until you can give KRU his leader zeta (assuming you decide to go that route). Hux’s unique is also nice to have, but not over a pre-taunt on KRU.

10. Laze

Laze Active Member

This may be down the road a bit, but for TB, I have found the best non-SLKR team to be KRU (L), Hux, Sith Trooper, FOX, FOO. They actually do better than DR for me. You can get 4/4 in P4 with that team, although it’s not a sure thing. In case doing well in TB is a priority for you.

11. Themistocles

Themistocles Well-Known Member

Crackling Doom is interesting...my kids have it on their R7 EPs, I do not. I honestly can't tell the difference, although we never use our EPs to punch up against big-time teams. Usually he's reserved for mopping up bounty hunters and Geos and the like, where that zeta doesn't seem to really make a diff.

12. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Thanks all, helpful as always. I admittedly need to get better acquainted with FO since I haven’t used them much so far - so appreciate the tips and insights there. Sounds like zeta on KRU is worthwhile in any event (that’s honestly the direction I was leaning in).

I debated on Palp, he’s so much fun and, if I remember right, requires relic for SLKR. But I take Electricboa’s point about running up against Malak teams in arena (which I think aligns with your point Themistocles - I’m starting to finally push into the bigger teams in arena, so do need the ability to punch-up). I know I still have a ways to go to build my roster, but it’s nice actually having these kinds of choices unfolding.

My next unfolding dilemma is ships. Made a dent in Malevolence farming with the bonus shards a few weeks ago, so have to think about farming the Separatist droid ships vs FO ships for SLKR…

13. Laze

Laze Active Member

Since I agonized over the zetas I gave to the FO reqs, here's my 2 cents:

Get these zetas (in roughly this order):
    KRU unique: great zeta
    KRU lead/Hux unique: both great, order depends who you're using as lead
    Sith Trooper: very good for defense, not as useful when on offense and you don't plan on having anyone dying
    FOST: pretty good, can be devastating when paired with SLKR especially

All these characters will be used on your arena team when you get SLKR, and they're all good to great, so they will not be wasted.

Maybe get eventually, but skip for now:
    OG Kylo: good for recovering banners in GAC, but frankly I'm fine missing out on 1 banner to save a zeta. He seems to solo OR and Ewoks just fine without it.
    Palp unique: I skipped this one and haven't felt like I've missed it. I've also heard from others that got it and said it doesn't feel all that impactful. While papa palps is amazing early game, I feel like his usefulness kind of wanes as you progress, so I'm not sure if I'll ever actually get this one. I mostly use him to beat B teams in GAC/TW similar to the others' comments further up
    Phasma: I do use her lead sometimes for GAC defense, but I'm not sure if getting the zeta would actually get me any extra holds. Probably not, so I'm skipping this for now.

Probably never:
    Vet Han: He's actually not a terrible character, but doesn't really seem to have a place, and the zeta doesn't sound all that great
    FOTP: worst FO character IMO. Put this one on when you have zetas burning a hole in your pocket and nothing else to do with them, if that day ever actually comes

14. Electricboa

The usefulness of the zetas do depend somewhat on what stage in the game you’re in and how freely you can spend them. At some point, you’ll have more zetas than you need. It become increasingly difficult to gear up characters to the point where you can use them, but your zeta income will stay stead and you’ll get a surplus.

On the SLKR’s requirements

KRU Unique – Pretty much required. He’s not nearly as useful without it and he’s always going to be used whether it’s under SLKR or a separate FO team or as a tank in some other team. Taunting at the beginning of a battle is very useful.

KRU Leadership – A great zeta, but one that you could conceivably skip if you’re really trying to save your zetas. Hux lead is quite good and doesn’t need a zeta. And when you’re using KRU under SLKR, the leadership doesn’t matter. On the other hand, his ship is the driving force behind a FO fleet, so the more you can power it up, the better.

FO Sith Trooper Unique – Is good, but serves two different purposes depending on what team he’s on. On non-SLKR FO or Sith team, he’s there to do damage. He punishes the other side for taking someone out. You won’t really use him on a Sith team that much, though, it’s almost exclusively FO. On a SLKR team, he’s there to feed the ultimate. When someone on your team dies, Sith Trooper does his AOE and you get up to 5 critical hits. SLKR is the damage dealer.

Hux Unique – He’ll always be on a FO team, so he’ll always give his team Advantage. This is useful because SLKR gives bonuses for Advantage. Preventing enemy TM gain is nice, but situation because not all teams rely on TM gain. He’s probably on par with KRU for sheer utility. You’ll always be using him.

FOST Unique – Is a good zeta, but one of those situations where the usefulness depends on the team you use. On a SLKR team, you have the potential to call him in for a devastating hit. But most of the time you’d be using your SLKR team against another GL, so FOST might not survive that long. His purpose is to prevent the other team from getting to your SLKR, so everything else is icing on the cake. On offense, though, you might have more success using FOO instead only because you can use him better than the AI can. FOST is the better choice for defense. On a non-SLKR team, you’ll have a lot more chances to get those assists because you’re not going to have a GL on the other side.

OG Kylo – This zeta is almost entirely for offense because the AI won’t the attack unless his protection is gone. In some ways, it makes sense since his AOE feeds his team TM, but it’s unfortunate that the zeta gets so little use. On offense, you can use it more often. His ability to solo teams will drop off as people get better/higher gear teams to put on defense. Mostly, his long-term use will be in a non-SLKR FO team but that’s going to depend on you decide to use your FO characters. We’ll get to that next

Phasma – She’s got the distinction of being the worst FO leadership by default. It’s not bad, but the others are just so much better that where and how you use your SLKR. KRU and Hux are better leaders, but are both used in the idea SLKR team, so if you want to use that team in GAC, Phasma inherits the leftovers.

Another thing to consider is if you want SLKR on offense or defense. He’s especially useful on offense for his ability to solo non-GL teams (and SEE). If you choose to go that route, you could try to use KRU and Hux on a separate FO team, in which case Phasma wouldn’t be useful. There are a lot of people who specifically gear up Daka and NS Zombie primarily for SLKR. That can be a very effective combo to save your best FO units for a second team.

Phasma’s best use for me ends up being 3v3. If you have Daka and Zombie, you can actually break it up something like this:

SLKR (L), Daka, Zombie (Or just a SLKR solo)

KRU (L), OG Kylo, FOX

Hux (L), FO Sith Trooper, FOST

Phasma (L), FOTP, SF FOTP​

FOO gets left out or can replace someone on Phasma’s team.

FOTP – The worst of the zetas. He’s got a ship, which you would always use as a reinforcement. You don’t get too much out of him. Ironic, considering his ship was at one point meta. I have the zeta from back then. It doesn’t do much.

Vet Han – If you decide to get JML, you’ll have to gear up JTR. If you decide to, you could gear up BB-8 and one other Resistance unit. At a certain point in the game, R2 kidn of loses his home. CLS Rebels don’t need him and there are better options for Republic teams, so I usually end up using R2 on my JTR team:

JTR (L), BB-8, Vet Han, R2, and Res Trooper​

There are a lot of zetas on that team (8), so it’s probably not practical to do any time soon. Han ends up being the main damage dealer, so his zeta is useful. I don’t use that team all that often, usually only when I really need to in GAC.

Mostly, it’s a situation where a long-term player is going to have more of an advantage because we already have a lot of the characters geared. I didn’t specifically gear BB-8 or Resistance Trooper for that team, I just had them geared for other things and can use them. For you, it would be an investment, which likely wouldn’t be worth it since you could put that gear and the zetas to something better.

If you decide to get GL Rey, then there would be a lot more incentive to get the zetas and do Vet Han, as you’d have Vet Chewie. As it is now, I would say your second GL would JML or JMK and the other would be the third GL. For the fourth, it’s a toss-up between Rey and SEE. I’d say LV would be last because of the requirements. Based on where the requirements are going, I’m assuming that any future GLs would be impractical to seriously go for until you have a few GLs under your belt already.

15. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Wow, thanks @Laze and @Electricboa - lots of good insight here. Super helpful as I start to map out my FO farming. Previously I was farming any FO characters I could get with currency not being used on Malak (which, I’m learning, in the CG world means I got all the worst characters first!). I’m finishing up getting Malak geared up, so am thinking about how to spend “real” resources. This is a great help.

I’ll spend a zeta on KRU’s unique. Then probably farm Hux and Sith Trooper and build up a squad, then tackle the more periphery characters (and ships!).

In the meantime, I’m really enjoying Malak. Climbing in arena without big drops is refreshing.

16. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Hi all - first, just to circle around, I’ve switched my arena team up based on this thread and it’s really paying off. In hindsight I guess switching from Palp (L), DR, Vader, Malak, Bastila to DR (L), Malak, Bastila, HK, Vader was a no-brainer but wow. I’ve climbed and so far am holding in a range 200 spots higher than before. I’m starting to bump up against the lower end GL squads in my shard. It’s nice to see some payoff for the grind. Thanks again for the steer.

I’m currently trying to get Malak and GK to 7* and then get Malak to relic. Also pushing on FO for SLKR.

…which leads me to a few questions. First, I’m thinking about relicing Palp since I need him for SLKR at some point. I’d think I’ll get value from him in TW, GAC, etc. in the meantime but was curious if folks think there better characters to relic more quickly (FO, JKR squad also for GAC…).

Also, how important are mods in unlocking GLs? I get that they’re always useful, but do I eventually need good-great mods on all on my FO characters to get SLKR, or can I get away with skimping on the characters that will be less useful long term?

jwall157 likes this.
  17. Electricboa

Once you’re working on a GL, you pretty much want to stick with relicing the requirements because going outside that will just slow you down.

Mods don’t matter as much for the GL event, but you will need to gear up SLKR for the ultimate mats. I’m not sure what the low end for him is, though. You fight GL Rey and she was a challenge—and I don’t know if she got the same bonus as the Rey player have got.

Also, make sure you look up how to do the stupid rock/paper/scissor tier beforehand. It’s quite possibly the worst thing they ever put in the game. There’s some strategy to make sure you win, but I don’t remember what it was.

Dgmr likes this.
  18. Themistocles

Themistocles Well-Known Member

@Dgmr use Gridan's SLKR guide for rock-paper-scissors. Never fail strat.

Dgmr likes this.