1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Looking for roster advice from the group

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Dgmr, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

All things being equal, Fives would come out first, which isn’t the best. But I still use it mostly because of laziness. When you go into a fleet battle, the game will automatically fill in any empty reinforcement slots for you based on your strongest ships. If I’m not paying attention, that means my last two slots would be Vader’s TIE and Han’s Falcon, which are even worse. Vader is a high priority reinforcement.

If I could constantly remember to remove the unwanted reinforcement, that would probably be better. Unfortunately, I’m not usually thinking about that and will realize after I’m already in a battle. And the same thing happens in the next one. So I kind of want a full reinforcement group just so I don’t have to remember to change it. It’s a lot easier for TW and GAC because you’re manually doing it. Maybe if they finally got around to letting us make save fleet squads it would be different.

Executrix and Chimaera are similar, but still different. Tarkin is better on the high end like if you went for SEE and had to gear him up to G13. Thrawn is probably better generally because he’s more of a generically good capital ship. Plus, you’re much more likely to gear Thrawn over Tarkin because Thrawn is useful in most teams.

Yes, you just have to wait for the events to come around for Endurance, Home One, and Executrix. Same for the Raddus and Finalizer. They like to force things to be slow so you’re more tempted to spend crystals on refreshes.

Of the starting three, Executrix is by far the best. Home One can be great with Rebels, but if you don’t have the Falcon, you’re not going to have a good fleet. Endurance is kind of the default worst capital ship in the game. It’s very defensive and is heavily skewed towards Republic ships, which isn’t that helpful early on and the Negotiator replaces it entirely later on.

Since you’re looking to move to the Malevolence, it’s probably easier to just stick with the Executrix. There are some situations where the Chimaera is better for Geos, but I doubt you would encounter them. Way back, when the world was in sepia tone, I used to use Chimarea and Geos to get through Hound’s Tooth (it had just come out and only a few players had it). Being able to give them offense up and have Spy do a mass attack could usually break though. That’s not really as important now.

As far as teams you might not understand, you can always post them and ask. I can’t say we’ll know all of them but there’s a decent chance we might know some.

2. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Well, as always, this super helpful - thanks. There's an angle or two there on Executrix/Chimaera I hadn't completely thought through.

Speaking of counters to Hounds Tooth - what are the best options currently? Not surprisingly, it's appearing more frequently in my fleet arena. I don't have Bossk or Hounds Tooth yet and wasn't planning to work them before DR (which I'm in the early stages of farming).

Yeah, I'll drop thoughts/questions on teams as I run across them. So far I see some options that make sense by themselves, but don't seem to provide a good foundation to build from (unless I'm just missing something - entirely possible). Good example is app's recommendation for a Vader squad - take the classic Palp/Vader line-up and replace Palp with Wampa. I get it, but for me Wampa is a luxury I can't afford right now - and for an earlier stage player I'm not sure why they'd want to farm Wampa (if they even could) over Palp. Maybe a bit academic for me, but just seems like the app is a bit scatter-shot.

3. Electricboa

That one would probably be best answered by others. My experience with HT is almost entirely with 7 star ships with G12/G13 Bossks, which make it a lot harder to beat. If you’re just starting to see them, they’re not going to be nearly as difficult to beat.

Generally speaking, there are two main ways. Brute force would pretty much be what I did with Geos under Chimaera. Just do a ton of damage to outpace the protection up. That’s harder to do in the long term. The easier one is to get buff immunity on HT. It won’t get protection up, so you can just keep attacking it without needing to overcome anything.

Ah, I’ve never used that app (or heard about it until now). There are a lot of people with Wampas, but those tend to be people who’ve been playing for a long time. Right now, it wouldn’t really be practical to farm Wampa that early, but at one-point Wampa and Hoda were the only exclusive characters for GET I currency. And anyone who goes for JML has to gear Wampa. That being said, Wampa does actually work well on a Vader team if you’re not trying to counter GLs. It’s just not worth doing until way late in the game when you’d actually be going for JML.

4. Themistocles

Themistocles Well-Known Member

Hi Dgmr somehow I missed this. In the early game, my kids would rip through relic HTs (even R7s) before they got their Malevolence with a combination of:

(All G12) HT/SF/Spy 1st reinforcement relic 5 JKA. HT taunts and holds, SF stuns HT so it can not dispel what's coming next, then typically Spy will do his mass attack which applies defense down. Then JKA comes in with the 1st reinforcement (with a maxed reinforcement ability), applies his special which renders buff immunity on HT, and then you go all in on HT until it goes down. Typically the rest of the enemy's ships were easy pickings after that.

I'm not sure how you would counter HTs without your own HT or some other tank rendering protection. I would give a G12 Bossk and a HT high priority in the early game. Fleet arena and its comparatively easy crystal income is a massive boon to newer accounts.

5. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Thanks @Themistocles, appreciate it. That’s helpful as I’ve been working on the geo trio ships. When I encounter HT I was starting to think about bringing in Tie or Wedge for target lock, but they’re not otherwise part of my typical reinforcements. This makes better sense and let’s me stick with my core fleet.

Switching back to squads…my goals are DR then Malak. After that, I’m thinking maybe it’ll be time to push for SLKR. I just got Canderous to 7*, which means I think I’m done with Cantina farming for DR/Malak (I already have JKR). I’m thinking of switching my cantina farming then to FO. My only hesitation is whether there’s another DR/Malak squad member worth pushing for (for example, I think it was Cubsfan that said Sith Marauder is better now than HK?). I’d be curious to hear thoughts on whether early side project farming for FO makes sense, or if I should be investing in a stronger DR/Malak (or other) add-on…thanks as always!

6. Electricboa

As far as HK vs Marauder, I haven’t seen the video but I can imagine a couple reasons he’d say that. First, Marauder is needed for SEE. The game has rapidly become about what characters get you your next GL and which ones make those GLs better. Now, SEE requires Marauder at R7, which does mean a lot of damage. Most people, if they took HK to G13, they only maxed out at R5.

The other reason for Marauder having more value is Conquest. You have feats that require a full Sith team. HK is Sith Empire, but not Sith. That means he doesn’t count. DR is a great team for that feat, but it forces you to use two of Marauder, Trooper, or Assassin. Of the three, Assassin is normally considered the weakest one out because in a mirror match Malak ruins her kit.

Marauder also has a decent ship. It’s not top tier, but if you do get SEE, you end up with a good Empire team. There are only 6 Empire ships in the game and you need a total of 7 for a full set of reinforcements. The Sith Bomber is probably the best choice for that.

That being said, I’m not sure how practical it is to really go that far into a DR team. The truth is the only real reason to use a full Sith Empire team is for a +50% damage increase for the team. That largely does matter. They’re more of a control team than anything else. They win by spreading a ton of debuffs and fear. And Malak Force Drains.

You can put any other Sith into those last two spots and do quite well. They don’t even necessarily need to be Sith. Part of the draw of OG Sith Trooper is his pre-taunt. Functionally, any pre-taunting tank is the same here. GBA is probably the best, since you can cleanse the Brute and resummon it if it’s taken out.

7. Laze

Laze Active Member

If you’re going for SLKR, personally I would skip Marauder for now but also avoid overinvesting in HK. I left HK at G12 and brought Marauder to R5 when I was building my DR team because 1) I also heard people say he was better and 2) I was still considering going for SEE (but later decided to get SLKR instead). Since I got Marauder, I have found him pretty underwhelming. He does good damage but for PvP, it never felt like he mattered as far as winning or losing. What I would do instead is spend the resources on Vader and use KRU as your tank. That gives you a rock solid arena team that can win mirrors, beat Padme and JKR with ease, and even beat GLs once you add in Thrawn and/or Wat. You’ll get a ton of use out of Vader outside DR and KRU gets you started on your SLKR farm.

8. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Thanks @Electricboa and @Laze , super helpful - and aligns with what I was thinking. I was wary of over-investing in DR but also want that “plateau” team to hold arena while I invest in SLKR.

On a bit of a tangent. Curious to get thoughts on 501st relative to my path described above. I like the road I’m on, but see a few folks in my guild racking up bigger damage in raids with lower geared 501st teams than my JKR, Palp Empire. I realize it’s a strong team but was a bit surprised, especially at lower gearing / ability.

9. Electricboa

GAS is a better team than DR overall. The catch there is getting GAS is not easy and the event itself is quite difficult. The requirements are up there, too, which is why I would say you’d be better off going for SLKR over GAS. You need more relic characters for Kylo, but he’s lightyears better than GAS. But until you actually get Kylo, you’re not going to out-damage a GAS team.

Or do you mean 501st without GAS? Usually when someone says 501st they mean GAS, but you can use Shaak Ti as a leader for the 501st clones. JKR teams usually use GMY as their main damage dealer.

Palpatine teams are more control teams. They don’t put out a lot of damage (well, Vader can) They normally give out a lot of debuffs and then as they go away, Palpatine’s leadership gives the team a lot of TM. It’s mostly about bogging the other team down. That doesn’t work on raids because way back when the first Rancor raid came out the first way people were able to solo it was by using a bunch of TM removal. Characters like Teebo, Ewok Elder, Qui-Gon, etc. Well, CG didn’t like that so they’ve been increasing the tenacity of raid bosses ever since. Because of that, a team like Palpatine that is heavily reliant on applying debuffs, doesn’t do well in raids.

As far as your plateau team, I would say something like this would probably work:

DR (L), Bastila, Malak, GBA, and a 5th​

That last spot could be HK or Vader. Vader would probably have more use down the road. I don’t want to put down HK, but he is kind of a product of his time. DR came out when JKR was meta, so HK was very much designed to mess with Jedi and JKR teams in particular. He can be very good. My R5 HK can get some good shots off, but I did that at a time when DR was the meta. Now, you’re just using the team more as a stepping stone to a GL. And that gear would probably be more helpful going to SLKR’s requirements.

10. Themistocles

@Dgmr I would say as someone who used the Sith Empire squad to hold as a plateau team for a long time, I used exactly Electricboa's described setup with a relic Vader to hold serve in Arena while I ground out a GL. The nice thing about Vader in your DR squad in mirror matches is that it's an easy way to take advantage of faster DRs and quickly put down DR and sometimes BSF in one round of MM. After those two are gone, it's easy cleanup. At this stage of your account I'd only invest in Mara if you are going SEE.

11. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Thanks @Themistocles (and @Electricboa) - again, really helpful. Yeah, while I’m farming DR I’m also opportunistically working Vader towards relic. So that fits really well with the direction I’m heading (thanks to all the great advice here)…and makes a lot of sense. I have to be selective in my battles but when I get my Vader going first with MM, it’s as you say (but that’s with an Empire squad still).

On 501st and GAS, I inadvertently misled. The 501st teams in our guild don’t have GAS. Anyway, I like the DR then SLKR route so won’t get distracted by that.

For Malak it sounds like the JKR event is the harder? I know I need to gear/zeta up my JKR “left overs” (Zalabar, Mission) to hit the GP minimum, but should I be aiming higher with them or is the min. workable? Starring up the OR team for DR is maddeningly slow so I’ve been able to gear them up a bit in the meantime (but could shift some surplus to Zalabar and Mission potentially).

12. Electricboa

Ah, then I guess they’re using Shaak Ti? I mean the team is good, it’s just not really part of any path to a larger GL character. Now there is a lot of speculation that the next GL is going to be Fallen Anakin. He will almost certainly require GAS. But as a general rule, I always advise against trying to chase after something that isn’t even out, yet.

The LS part of the Malak event is more difficult. Whether it was intentional or not, the DS part is really about powering through and just doing a lot of damage. The LS requires strategy and control to win.

Both LS and DS have three core characters that are ‘safe.’ Those are characters that you will use probably forever with the final JKR and DR teams. LS has JKR, Bastila, and Jolee. DS has DR, Fallen Bastila, and HK. All the others have a limited life, so while you do get most of an Old Republic team when you’re finished with Malak, it’s a team that will be surpassed by other teams fairly quickly.

For LS, the general consensus is:

JKR (L), Bastila, Jolee, Mission, and Zaalbar​

How you get to the GP requirement is entirely up to you. I would suggest gearing Zaalbar because you will actually use him as a tank in the event. Mission is either gear or a zeta. It mostly comes down to what is easier for you. Zetas are a very valuable commodity when you’re just starting out. That being said, I’d love to get the gear back from my OR characters now. I did get use out of them, but I’ve got something around 180 zeta just lying around after I just spent 60 on CAT.

T3 always gets left out because he’s mediocre at best. At one point he had a very niche use on something called a Grievous nuke team, but that was some time ago. He has droid synergy and he’s the only OR droid (HK is Sith Empire, not OR). So he does next to nothing for that team and there really isn’t a viable droid team anymore. There’s Separatist droids, but that’s self-contained.

For DS:

DR (L), Fallen Bastila, HK-47, Carth, and either Juhani or Canderous​

Carth is one everyone agrees on because he’s the OR leader you’d use in your post-Malak team. The real debate is between Juhani and Canderous.

Juhani is a horrible character. She’s a tank that taunts for a little while and then stops, so she’s more of a speed bump. She is a Jedi, so you can throw her in on any Jedi team as fodder until you get better Jedi to replace her. The main thing she has going for her is she’s easier to gear. I went with Juhani sole because I didn’t have the gear to do Canderous.

Canderous is actually a decent character. He can work in several teams like OR, scoundrels, and Mandalorian. He’s got decent damage and pumps out DoTs like crazy. But he’s more difficult to gear. And while he works on all those teams, will you actually use him? Old Republic teams lose viability fairly quickly, so there’s one down.

Scoundrel teams are versatile and you can cobble together a lot of different ones. Unfortunately, none of them really lead to anything bigger or better. You mostly just get a Scoundrel team and that’s it. The only real exception is if you want to do a team with the characters from The Mandalorian TV show. Kuiil, IG-11, and Cara Dune are actually decent. They get you Beskar Mando, who is also a scoundrel and a Mandalorian. So if you really want to go down that route, Canderous could have utility there,

Mandalorian teams are the new kids on the block. They’re rough right now. Bo-Katan is their leader and people going for JMK have to gear her. Other than that, she’s only good with Mandalorians so you have to want a Mandalorian team to go for her. The Armorer is great, but she’s great in non-Mandalorian teams. She’s regularly paired with GLs to let them counter other GLs.

There are nine Mandalorians in-game right now Jango is really good. He also doubles as Separatist and as a Bounty Hunter. The OG Mando is a good BH, too. Gar Saxon and Imperial Super Commando are complete trash, except for their ship which is good in an Empire fleet if you decided to go for SEE. Sabine is kind of bad. She’s very fragile and her ship doesn’t get the use it used to. Maybe in some lower end Rebel fleets.

Now, there is potential for growth there. I strongly suspect we will get more Mandalorians. But if that happens, would Canderous still be part of that eventual team? No idea. I would also throw out there that Canderous could be used under a Vader lead for extra DoTs.

I can’t really see a clear better choice. It really does come down to if you want to use more gear on a character that may be good or useful later or less gear on a character you know will be bad and just want to get it out of the way.

13. Themistocles

Not sure if I've mentioned it on this thread, but on others I have for sure lamented bringing OR to G12. It's a worthless team now, and I still put it out on GAC defense only because I have nothing else - but I know it gives my opponents an easy 64 everytime.

Carth - G11 with zeta for sure to meet power req
    Canderous - G11 with zeta for sure to meet power req

Now when it comes to Mission and Zaalbar... how low of a gear level you can get away with is going to come down to how good your 5-dot mods are.

From what I remember of the guides I've studied, you want as close to 4000 damage as possible on Mission because she's a pretty big damage dealer in the event, esp if you have her zeta which I strongly recommend. So if I remember correctly you want an offense set on her. With Zaalbar you want him as lightning fast as possible even though he's a tank because you want him to cycle back to his armor shred ASAP. So most guides advocate crit chance and speed sets on him. When I cleared the event I think my speed on Zaalbar was something like high 230s, possibly 240. My Mission's damage was around 3900. One of my guildmates that I was advising cleared it with Mission around 3400-3500 I think but he said it was a bit of a struggle. I know I still struggled with those thresholds, and it took me.........4-6 hours of periodic attempts to finally win.

If you've got some great mods of that variety and you can hit good thresholds on Zaalbar and Mission with those mods, then sure try the event at G11 with zetas. Save the gear for G12 for them and if you can't get it in like......a day of trying, then slap that on. Otherwise you should have some nice starting out gear for JKR.

Be advised though the LS event used to be easier since the droids that reduce enrage stacks on Malak ALWAYS came back. Then in the timeframe when I was trying to clear the event, the droids all of sudden changed their behavior. Now they will stop spawning after a completely random point and CG, as they are wont to do, stated that the event was now truly working as intended and the droids were never supposed to keep spawning indefinitely. Ok CG, sure.

It does mean a tougher event for you, and you do need to shoot out large amounts of damage in a short time frame in order to clear LS Malak before the droids give out on you before you're ready to go into the burn phase. So who knows - maybe you really do need G12 zeta'd Mission and Zaalbar to beat this thing now. That's what I had when I cleared it.

14. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

Thanks again @Electricboa and @Themistocles - once again, very helpful...and thanks for taking the time - much appreciated and one of the great aspects of the SWGOH community.

Couple of disparate comments. On 501st in my guild - yes, those folks are using Shaak Ti. I know one member's goal is GAS, which makes sense (still, this is the same person that wants to build a Jawa team, so I'm not quite sure what's going on there long term). I probably mentioned this before, but my guild is lower tier still but growing. I'm torn because, despite being out-gunned by 501st squads in raids, can still place top 5 or top 10, and do enjoy the guild otherwise. On the other hand, we're still in the ~mid tier raids.

I had to laugh at T3 for the DR event since I just watched Ahnald's video where he uses T3 (and seems to struggle)...sigh. Regardless of that, I wasn't anywhere close to considering T3. But the advice on the rest of the team is really appreciated - I think I've got a good feel for how to push forward. Anyway, unless there's some big surprise with Fallen Anakin, I'm still eyeing SLKR and regardless have little interest in the Mando faction at this point (though I did enjoy the show!).

Since my cantina farm is now available after 7*ing Canderous, I'm using that for FO. I've got a few choices there, what's the thinking on the ideal initial FO squad? I know Hux is key, but he's not a cantina farm...seems like FO troopers (including - and I still laugh at this, Platinum Rose)?

I keep debating jumping on the good day/week thread...getting to within 2 shards of a star-up and then spending the rest of the week sitting there! Thanks CG (I'm sure there's some AI there to try and squeeze a few $)...seems like a good opportunity to focus on the positivies.

15. Themistocles

What do you mean mid-tier raids? If you're not doing all 3 heroics, you need to leave.

16. Electricboa

I’m going to second Themistocles, you really do want to be doing Heroic for all of them. The rewards for anything less are just not really worth it. The HST has been out long enough that most guilds are beating the Heroic version. CRancor is a different story, but don’t compromise on the rest.

That’s why your other guild members are doing good damage with a Shaak Ti/501st team. You can get big numbers in the lower tiers because they’re a lot easier.

17. Dgmr

Dgmr Member

<sigh> Yeah, I know you’re both right. This is the one I struggle on. We’re not doing HST.

I guess my thoughts on the Shaak Ti/501st squads is that they’re pushing ahead of me now in raids, so then can I be competitive in a higher leveled guild? I’ve just been surprised that those lower geared teams are generating so much more than my higher geared JKR for example (unless I’m just not playing the raid as well).

I’ll go back and reread the posts as I think one of you shared a link previously, but welcome any suggestions on how to find the right guild.

18. Themistocles

Ugh. Whoa whoa whoa. Eject, eject eject. They could be the nicest dudes in the world but you will be SEVERELY stunted if you stay.

@Electricboa you're good at gifs, where's the eject button one?

19. Electricboa

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness, you really should. Whatever damage they’re doing on anything other than heroic really doesn’t mean anything. Being competitive in a higher GP guild really doesn’t matter. If you get #1 in T6 every time, you’re still getting less than you would at #50 in the HST. The exclusive gear for that raid is only available in the heroic part. Anything less is just spinning your wheels.

And it’s not that hard for a guild to be able to clear the HST. A single person with Kylo can do it. JMK can, too, but you’re way more likely to have someone with Kylo in your guild than JMK.

Themistocles likes this.
  20. Themistocles

SWGOH Guilds Recruiting server.

https://discord.gg/dFFNupzu

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021