1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Kyle Katarn

Discussion in 'Characters, Skills and Equipments' started by Electricboa, Nov 23, 2021 at 3:34 PM.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

[ Developer Insights - Kit Reveal ]
    [​IMG]

UNIT NAME: Kyle Katarn
    ALIGNMENT: Light Side
    CATEGORIES: Light Side, Attacker, Rebel, Rebel Fighter, Jedi
    A Force-sensitive Rebel operative and Jedi Knight

ABILITIES:

Basic: THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING
    [​IMG]

FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage to target enemy twice. If it's Kyle Katarn's turn, inflict Ability Block for 1 turn; otherwise, deal damage a third time.

Special 1: JUST A GUY WITH A LIGHTSABER (Cooldown 3)
    [​IMG]

FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage to target enemy twice. If the target has Force Influence, the second instance of damage deals 75% more damage. All allies gain Critical Chance Up and Potency Up for 2 turns.

Jedi Knight: The first instance of damage deals 75% more damage; all Rebel Fighter allies recover 50% Health and Protection

Special 2: POWER OF THE VALLEY (Cooldown 3)
    [​IMG]

FINAL TEXT (ZETA): Dispel all debuffs on Rebel Fighter allies. Rebel Fighter allies gain Defense Up and Speed Up for 2 turns. Deal Physical damage to all enemies and inflict Force Influence on target enemy for 2 turns, which can't be copied.

Jedi Knight: Inflict Force Influence on all enemies for 2 turns

Force Influence: Can't assist, counter attack, or gain buffs (raid bosses and Galactic Legends: -30% Counter chance.)

Unique: BLUE MILK RUN
    FINAL TEXT (OMICRON): At the start of each encounter, Kyle Katarn gains 10% Turn Meter for each other Rebel Fighter ally.

Whenever a Rebel Fighter ally attacks out of turn, they gain 12% Offense (stacking, max 60%) until the end of their next turn.

Whenever Kyle Katarn attacks out of turn, he gains a stack of Force Connection until the end of battle, which can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented (stacking, max 10 stacks).

When Kyle Katarn reaches 10 stacks of Force Connection, he resets his cooldowns, loses all stacks of Force Connection, and gains Jedi Knight until the end of the battle which can't be copied, dispelled, or prevented.

At the start of the encounter, if the enemy leader is a Sith, Rebel Fighter allies have +50% Defense and Tenacity, and +25% Max Health until the end of the encounter.

Force Connection:+2% Defense and Offense

Jedi Knight: Kyle Katarn and Rebel Fighters gain 50% Defense and Offense; can't gain Force Connection. This bonus applies to Jedi allies in Territory Battles

While in Territory Battles: Enemies can't gain bonus Turn Meter and Force Influence can't be resisted. When Kyle Katarn attacks out of turn, he gains an additional stack of Force Connection, and the bonuses of Jedi Knight also apply to other Jedi allies. At the start of each encounter, all Jedi and Rebel Fighter allies gain 75% bonus Protection until the end of the encounter. At the start of each encounter, Kyle Katarn gains 10% Turn Meter for each other Jedi ally.

2. Electricboa

The irony of Kyle Katarn being both a Rebel and a Jedi, when JKL isn’t. But that aside, he looks like an amazing character. He might be one of the best utility characters I’ve seen in a long time, in that Rebel Fighter and Jedi can both use him quite effectively.

It’s pretty clear he’s intended to be used with Mothma the vast majority of the time. Pretty much anything outside of TB, he’s going to be with Rebel fighters because of all the synergy. But having Jedi as an option is great. I’m always happy to have more Jedi to be able to use with JML or maybe under a 3rd Jedi team under JKL or JKR.

I can see how he kind of messes with people who already seriously invested in a good Rebel Fighter team. Katarn is pretty much a must-use, so someone is going to need to be replaced. For me, I never really got around to gearing up anyone outside of the basic JML requirements, so I just use Wiggs and Chaze with Mothma in most cases (Chaze being both G12).

And it looks like my little speculation was at least partially right. Between Dash, Starkiller, and Kyle, we’ve got three EU video game protagonists. Katarn was, admittedly, the most obvious other choice. The last two I’m not really sure about. I think we’ve got a good shot at Mara Jade. She was the main character in the sequel to Kyle Katarn’s game. CG needs a lot of good will right now and she’s arguably one of the most popular characters in Star Wars. I remember, decades ago, there was a popularity poll in one of the Star Wars-theme magazines and the only two non-movie characters to rank on it were Mara Jade and Thrawn. They held their own with everyone else.

As for the last one? I had said Tyber Zann before, but I’m not as sure about him. I’ll throw out another one: Meetra Surik. She was the protagonist of KOTOR II. My only qualm about that is they could do a Revan-like event for her, though she isn’t as popular. I’m not sure they would want to use her up on a one-off like this.

Then again, Kyle Katarn could have been the same. He’s got some iconic characters in his game and I could see a whole event around him. Maybe to get Jerec as the ultimate prize (the bigger dinosaur-like one is Desann):

[​IMG]

Or perhaps in some Inquisitor line? Jerec is probably the most famous EU one. There are a lot of others, but most don’t have any artwork, including most of the Grand Inquisitors. Most of them were in smaller stories. Malorum was the first Grand Inquisitor, but his story is tied up with Ferus Olin. Ferus Olin, as an apprentice, was a rival to Anakin and left the Jedi before the Clone Wars. He later became Leia’ Jedi guardian like Obi-Wan was to Luke. Great character and story, but not well known.

If we weren’t talking about video game protagonists, then I could see Artis. She’s from KOTOR II and has some iconic art of her against Nihilus:

[​IMG]

My money is now on Mara Jade and Meetra Surik, but I’m only confident in the former.

3. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

KK looks pretty damn good to me.

Just like Boa, I tend to use MM with Wedge, Biggs, Chirrut and Baze as my Rebel Fighter squad. I could drop Chirrut and slot KK in his place and wouldn't mind taking Baze from G12 into relics either.

I like KK's omicron as well. There always seems to be a place for another Jedi. KK will slide into any JMK, JKL and JKR squad for TB. Anybody that makes these battles easier is fine by me. I suppose he'd fit with GR Jedi as well, but that's not necessary with Master Kenobi.

KK is definitely a bigger priority for me than Dash.

4. Marc Tessier

There was a leak that Mara Jade is one of the 4 characters needed to unlock Starkiller. I saw a screenshot of SWGoH's write-up in one of the app stores to install the game. It was posted in my alliance.

It states: "Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes" is adding Mara Jade, Starkiller, and three other beloved characters from the franchise's comics and games. It's part of a sixth-anniversary celebration that also offers a Conquest easy mode and a free gift for everyone."

Skywlkr76 likes this.
  5. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Well-Known Member

I saw that too. So the question with her is, which version are we getting? Will it be the Emperor's Hand, the smuggler as we first meet her in Heir to the Empire, or the Jedi who married Luke Skywalker?

6. Skywlkr76

I run MM with Wiggs, Lando and Captain Han. Lando has the Rebel fighter tag, and Captain Han has no real home, so I could always drop him and slot KK right in there.

7. Electricboa

Oh, it’s been leaked? I missed that. Welp, I guess that pushes me even more to wanting to do Starkiller. Whatever version of her we get (outside of maybe the Smuggler one) I will be able to use. My money is on the Emperor’s Han version because that’s probably what most people know her as. Honestly, most of her major appearances are as a smuggler, though. There are two novels and a bunch of short stories with her as a Hand. She’s had a good number as a Jedi, but she’s not really a main character in those. NJO really underutilized her. And after NJO, let’s just say that’s a controversial era of the EU. Two words: bug orgies.

8. Skywlkr76

I’d be happy with any version, but if they do the smuggler version, then hopefully that means Talon Karrde would come soon after.

The less said about those bugs, the better.

9. Marc Tessier

I know nothing of this. Not even going to ask. :p

10. Electricboa

New Jedi Order was a massive 19-book series that is pretty much the culmination of everything post-ROTJ. For many, it was the perfect ending for the EU, especially since they didn’t like the direct things went after that. A lot of it is laid at the feet of Troy Denning, who wrote a lot of it.

The first set of books after NJO was the Dark Nest trilogy. Without getting too into the weeds, the books introduce a new species called the Killiks. They’re an insectoid hive-mind that can induce other species into joining their nest. Some of the major characters in NJO, including Jaina Solo (Han and Leia’s daughter). There is a scene in one of the books where basically all the members of the nest are basically having an orgy. To this day, he’s sometimes called Troy ‘Bug Slut’ Denning as a crude reference to what happens to Jaina in the trilogy

Denning wrote the Dark Nest trilogy and even in some of his other novels, he has injected some things that were overly sexualized. In one of his books, he implies Luke and Mara were into bondage, as Mara quips that she won’t call Luke “master” outside of the bedroom. There was something about Han, Leia, and Twi’leks that I can’t remember the details of. Leia might have dressed like a hooker at one point and did things with Han, but don’t quote me on that. In another infamous scene, he writes about a 27-year-old woman trying to seduce Luke’s 13-year-old son to the dark side. And he supposedly wanted to make them a couple.

Keep in mind I’m picking out some of the most extreme stuff and that’s not really reflective of the EU as a whole. Denning was a very controversial author. And even though I think his impact on the post-NJO EU was largely negative, it was more because of his characterization more than the sexual stuff. To be honest, I never really cared too much other than the bug orgy stuff and seducing Luke’s son. Those were way out here. They rest were mostly just side references as opposed to actual plot points.

Skywlkr76 and Marc Tessier like this.