1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

How to Succeed in Fleet Arena (Pre-2.0)

Discussion in 'Guides' started by SumiXam, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

5 is very good. In fact, there's not all that much difference between 5 and 4. The top 5 is all pretty close in rewards.

2. flair

flair Member

well I dropped overnight from 8 to 27 so people apparently don't have a good opinion about my squad even I can beat almost everybody in my shard - I avoid one whale with 7* Chimaera (before this event started!) and 7* TIE Silencer but except for him everyone is beatable (well, he's too, because some shmuck who I nearly nearly got beat him and took #1)

I will eventually switch to my brand new 6* Chimaera but it's not ready yet - 79 level and no abilities maxed, Thrawn 6* and G8 - so I'm not sure that would be an improvement to my up and running Endurance that lets me be in the first 10

3. Electricboa

Well, you have to remember that thet top 20-30 of any arena (fleet or regular) can be pretty fluid. So don't get disheartened if you fall that far overnight. And some days will be worse than others. It can seem like chance. There have been days I drop back to 27 and others when I stay in the top 10 in the fleet arena. The regular arena can be even more extreme. I dropped to 39 and 46 two days this week, while staying at 11 and 15 another 2 days. The 39 and 46 were extreme outliers, so you have to see where you end up on average.

For the Chimaera, upgrade the basic attack last. On defense, he rarely uses it, so it won't hurt you not to have it upgraded right away.

4. flair

flair Member

how many refreshes do you use to get back at top?

what's the best setup and tactics for Chimaera? I consider switching as soon as it's fully operational
    with Endurance I run:
    TIE Advanced 7*
    TIE 7*
    Biggs' X-wing 7*
    Umbaran Starfighter 7*
    Slave I 6*
    from the bench:
    Wedge's X-wing 7*
    FO TIE 6*
    JC Starfighter 6*

I farm TIE Reaper (4* and 5/65 so far :/) and Scimitar which is going to take over JC spot as soon it hits 6* (soon enough, 71/85)

what's the key to being an ultimate CHIMAERIST

5. Electricboa

It depends on how unlucky I am. I tend to fall to the 20s, so I usually end up doing a refesh because I tend to lose at least once on offense, just because of the higher RNG factor in ship battles. Some days are really nice and I stay around 11 or so, which means I don't need that much to get back to top 4.

The two main fleets I tend to see are:

Vader's TIE, TIE, FO TIE, Biggs, and TIE Reaper

Vader's TIE, TIE, FO TIE, Biggs, and Bistan's U-Wing​

Reinforcements are almost always Scimitar first, but it can vary after that. Gauntlet, Umbaran, and Slave I are probably the most common, not necessarily in tha order.

6. flair

flair Member

Chimaera ruined everything for me, everybody now has it and it got significantly harder to get to the top 10
    everything was going really well with tactics from this thread and mace smacking them up but now I have to wait until my Chimaera is fully upgraded
    god damn you again thrawn, even beyond the grave you're still shitting on my parade

7. Electricboa

Yeah, that pushed out a lot of people. My top 50 has 7 Tarkins and the rest are Thrawn. Most of the Tarkins are past 40, one is in the 30s, and one actually does make it to the top.

What I've noticed is Tarkin has the better ultimate attack. If you get the TIE strike, it is almost always a win. Thrawn's ultimate is nice, but you won't automatically win by getting there (unless there's only one ship left). The reason Thrawn is better, though, lies in everything else. I almost never get to use my ultimate because I usually win before the cool down is over. And the times I get bad RNG, I tend to lose before the ultimate, too. But that might be an important detail to remember. Using Thrawn means your ships have to be better because they are going to win the battle for you. With Tarkin, you can usually win just by stalling long enough.

8. flair

flair Member

well my shard's top 50 still got about fifteen Tarkins, ten Maces (including me) and maybe ten Ackbars, but most of them occupy the lower half of the table, yet I compete for top 10 almost every day with at least one Endurance, sometimes two Endurances and at least three Executrixes - but the rest have switched to Chimaera and most of those recently changed are those who I used to jump up

9. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

I wonder when the ship update will be released. I'm looking forward to the updated game play where we will start with only 3 starfighters, but be able to call in reinforcements right away. Each fighter will also have a unique reinforcement bonus that should liven things up.

I have only four ships left to complete -- Bistan's U-wing (97/100), Rex's ARC-170 (27/85), FOSFTF (45/65) and Kylo's Command Shuttle (62/65).

It's a pretty safe bet that the ships update will come with some new fighters to play with and, of course, farm. Looking forward to seeing what they give us.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  10. SumiXam

SumiXam Moderator Staff Member

It will be interesting to see how it shakes things up.

11. Poodletron

Poodletron New Member

The big concern for me right now is I've been working on getting ready for the Tarkin zeta challenge when it unlocks. I have no idea if the changes to ships will bring about the end of this challenge or if the requirements will be different so I'm not sure if I'm just throwing time after chasing a ghost, so to speak.

12. SumiXam

They haven't announced when those changes will happen though. The Tarkin challenge is important to get through, so you have another source, albeit unreliable, of zeta mats.

13. AhnNu Rie

AhnNu Rie Active Member

Unreliable is an understatement, irritating RNG, 2 weeks without a drop, then 4 in 2 days.

14. SumiXam

I'm kicking around writing a new guide for 2.0, but I'll probably hold off for a bit until things settle in a little more.

15. Electricboa

Probably a good idea, at least until they add the combat table. I'm kind of hoping we get more ships, which could change which ones should be done first. Really, that could end up being a pretty big change, depending on how much they do. I could see them taking the current ships off the hard nodes to put them in fleet hard nodes. Possible the same with the Cantina and GW shops. They could decide to keep all ship-related things together.

16. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

I agree it's worth waiting before doing another guide. There is a pretty strong chance that they release new ships when the ship table comes out and I would expect at least a few of them to be really good.

17. Electricboa

Okay, I think I have a new strategy for dealing with some of these Windu fleets. Right now, the most popular ones in my fleet arena seem to be this:

Hound’s Tooth, Fives, Xanadu Blood/Gauntlet​

This strategy is used directly against these teams. Now, I’ve on done it once so far, but it worked very well against Darthjj’s team. This does require Geos, so that might leave a lot of people out. The idea is to overwhelm the enemy HT before they can get a protection train going. That’s the basic Geo strategy against any HT, but the above team seems to hinder it because their Fives will attack Spy first (almost every time) and increase his TM.

This messes up the normal Geo strategy of using Thrawn to give everyone else offense up before Spy uses his special. Because of Fives, you end up with a choice of using his special now without the offense up or waiting and letting the HT start to get protection up. Neither is a great option, but I recommend using his special anyway. You’ll do a lot of damage regardless and this leads into my new strategy. After Spy goes, use Thrawn to give everyone offense up as usual. Use Soldier’s Special. You won’t beat HT, but you’ll wound it. The difference is your first reinforcement won’t be your own HT or Vader. Instead, bring in Kylo’s Shuttle.

I’ve talked a lot of about how much potential I think the Shuttle has, and this is a good example. Spy should get a second turn in *before* your first reinforcement. Spy’s special has a 2 turn cool down and Thrawn’s offense up lasts 2 turns. When you bring the Shuttle out, use Surprise Raid on Spy. It’ll reduce the cool down by 1, meaning you can immediately use your special, and you get Advantage. Odds are you have no protection left on him anyway, so there’s no downside. Now use Spy’s special again and HT is almost guaranteed to die.

Once HT is gone, you’re just cleaning up. Kylo’s Shuttle reduces TM on enemy reinforcements, so you slow them down and you still have your Geos up to do lots of damage. It’ll take a while to see what RNG does to it over more battles, but I thought it might be a good idea to share now for anyone having trouble with them.

The one caveat I’ll say is I don’t know how much my pilots might be making the difference as far as it being successful. All my Geos have their G12 gear and Sun Fac has both G12+ gear. My FO pilot are all G12 with no extra gear. Kylo and FOST have Zetas, but not Phasma. None of them have Mk 6 mods. So the strategy can work with those. If you’re not as far along on your own pilots, it might not be as successful.

SumiXam likes this.