1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Grand Arena

Discussion in 'Battle Advice' started by Dagor, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

Good news on Range Trooper. I have been farming him a bit over the weekend with extra energy.

I won my GA bracket with a 35-point win in the final round. It seems to be coming down to efficiency now. Most of the my opponents seem to be saving their best teams on offense. I used Traya on defense, but held CLS, Revan, NS and JT Rey for offense. I cleared everything in one go without losing any characters. I even used the under-sized Rex, Wampa, Fives combo again versus a poorly geared Phoenix. It worked very easily, so much so that I didn't even need Fives. I also left the last slot in fleet empty to earn a few extra points. My opponent stumbled on my Qi'ra, Nest, L3, Vandor Chewie and ST Han squad. It took him two battles to clear. Even if he beat it on the first try, I think I would have still won.

2. RemusQui Spiuar

RemusQui Spiuar New Member

I generally wait for my opponent to attack first to see how efficient I need to be, and I generally don't use undersized teams unless I need to. But if your opponent is very efficient, undersized teams are often the safer bet. You just have to pick the right team.

Bounty hunters do pretty well in undersized teams in my experience, you just need to find an opponent who can't hit hard enough to outpace your recovery - I've won a 4v5 with a zBossk lead, and I've won 1v3s with both Boba and Jango. Pretty sure Embo will also be able to 1v3 weak teams once I get him to g12, and I suspect I could even 1v5 some battles with Boba or Jango, though I haven't had occasion to try yet. Palpatine also seems like a good choice for an undersized team - in theory he should be able to 4v5 a slow team easily.

So far I'm undefeated in grand arena, but there are a couple rounds I probably would have lost if I had played it "safe" and only used full teams.

3. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

I usually get impatient. In the end, I don’t know how much waiting matters. I’m trying to maximize point anyway, so it’s not like I’m going to do anything different if I wait.

The problem there is we’re in radically different brackets. I’m just shy of 4.3 million, so there really aren’t going to be any opponents that I can get away with that kind of stuff with. Most people at my GP have more or less the same handful of teams, all pretty well geared (G11 or G12 with Zetas). Once in a great while I’ll be able to get away with a really undersized team wth Wampa against weaker Rebels, but that’s not too common. Most of the time, you can't win with an undersized team, with a couple minor exceptions like Traya. Even then, Traya is usually needed to counter something really strong so you're not going to use her undersized anyway.

I also put my own BH on defense. They’re better there because of their health recovery. And on top of that, I tend to play a lot more defensively because I’m betting, I’ll be slightly more efficient.

Though I finally fought someone who went too defensive this last round. They dropped Revan, CLS, Traya, and a Bastila team on defense. Basically, they had zero chance to beat my Revan team and the other sections I put my next three strongest defense teams: NS, FO, and BH. I cleared their top two sections and they didn’t even bother to attack.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  4. Marc Tessier

I have recently fought a couple of opponents who load up on defense by placing Revan, Traya, CLS and JT Rey squads on defense, including Round 2 of the current GA. I've come to the conclusion that these opponents have no intention of fighting. In every case where I've seen this, my opponent never attacked. I think they put up a strong defense as an "honorable surrender" to allow the other player to battle and have some fun.

In my case, I'm in bed the last 6 hours of GA, so I never know for sure whether I've won until the next morning.

5. Electricboa

It's possible, they would get some rewards for doing nothing. But my guess is some intend on fighting but won't bother if you're able to clear more than they think they could.

And it looks like I'll be getting #1 again. This last one would have been a lot closer, but my NS were MVPs again. It took 5 attempts to beat them and my opponent took out Ventress and Daka in the first round. My Talzin, Zombie, and Spirit just woundn't die. I do wonder if Talzin became leader after Ventress was dead. I remember there were questiosn about that in the past, but I don't remember if we ever found out. Either way, I'm very glad I geared them.

6. Marc Tessier

Nice!

I'm going to win my fourth straight GA.

I fully cleared my opponent without losing one battle. My opponent needed 2 battles each to take out my Traya and BH squads in the top territory. In the bottom territory he defeated my FO squad in his first attempt, but has lost one battle against Jyn, Chaze, Cassian and Stormtrooper Han. All of them are still standing.

I have a Qi'ra, zZaalbar, Mission, zVandor Chewie and L3 team protecting the top back territory along with zBastila, zOld Ben, Anakin, Ezra and zBarriss. I've got Imperial Troopers in the back front territory.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. Electricboa

After I finish gearing up my Rebel Pathfinder and Bistan, I want to do L3. She really seems good and I would be able to start getting together a Scoundrel team. But my U-Wing is more important.

I'm also getting to the point where I can start giving out some of my saved up Zetas. I've got 103 of them right now. The funny thing is I'm not sure who should get one. There's no point in using it on someone like Jango because I haven't geared him and by the time I would get him, I'd have aother Zeta ready. So I'm pretty much limited to who I already have geared and hoarding for Darth Revan, knowing I probably won't get him.

My top choices are:

Talzin’s Leader – This would be more for 3v3 and P3 of the HST. I think I like Ventress more as a leader. But with NS being so good in 3v3, it might be worth it.

Daka – After I gave Ventress her Unique, Daka is the only one left that has a Unique I haven’t done yet. That being said, I’m not sure how much it matters. I probably should give her one just because it would finish off my NS team.

Krennic Leader / Death Trooper Unique – Right now, I’m using EP as my TW/GA Empire leader, but I was thinking that Krennic might be a viable alternative. I tend to keep Thrawn for offense and Vader isn’t that great, so I could give one to Krennic. I’ve also been seriously thinking about Death Trooper. I’ve been using him with Krennic in my TW and GA teams (both are G12). That Zeta would boost their synergy.

Tarkin – The other Empire leader I was thinking about was Tarkin. That speed bonus is pretty nice. And it would also boost his ship. I’m still leaning Krennic, though.

Ahsoka Fulcrum – She’s been on my list for a while because she’s not so great without the Zeta. I have her at G12 and she’s pretty much always left behind because of the lack of Zeta.

Phasma – She’s on here for 3v3 potential. I have everyone except SF TIE at G12, so I definitely have enough to field two strong 3v3 teams. The problem is there aren’t enough FO characters to successful make two 5v5 teams out of and odds are the next FO we get will include new and better leaders.​

Looking at my choices, I definitely leaning hard towards Krennic and Death Trooper. Really, I think I will end up doing Death Trooper regardless. I use him with Krennic now, so the utility is already there. I probably should try to wait for any other until after the next update. That’ll probably be the nail in the coffin for whether Darth Revan is within range or not.

8. Marc Tessier

You might catch players off guard with a zKrennic lead since I'm guessing not many see him very often. I can't remember the last time I fought a squad with Krennic in it. I know if I faced a zKrennic squad, I'd have to check his abilities to see what he does. With Empire as your favorite faction, I think using it on Krennic or Tarkin makes the most sense.

9. Electricboa

Yeah, he is pretty uncommon. I’m one of three people with him at G12 in my guild. Two are at G11 and three at G9. Everyone else is G8 or below.

The nice thing about Empire is they’re fairly versatile. After getting Range Trooper geared up, my Troopers are way better than before. I use:

Veers (L), Starck, Snowtrooper, Range Trooper, and Stormtrooper​

I really don’t need Death Trooper or Shoretrooper to make a viable Trooper team. And they can hit pretty far above their paygrade. I’ve been able to topple good FO and Bastila teams with them, even with Stormtrooper in there. He’s my only G11 of the bunch. I would almost say that Range is about on par with giving Veers a Zeta. It’s practically a night and day difference.

But that does mean that I can work more on a solid general Empire team. The gist of Krennic is Empire gets +25% crit chance and potency. When you critically hit an enemy with a debuff, they get ability blocked (target can’t resist it). The Zeta lets Empire allies recover 10% protection with each critical hit. Krennic is pretty solid even without the Zeta. I used him very effectively in DS TB before Palpatine got Zetas. Basically, just load his team with AOEs and you can shut down the other side. My idea is this:

Krennic (L), Death Trooper, Shoretrooper, Tarkin, TIE Pilot​

It has a bunch of AOEs and lots of debuffs to throw around. With the Zeta, that’s a lot of potential for protection recovery. Shoretrooper takes the brunt of the damage while everything gets set up. Once the ability blocks start landing, it should be game over. The big danger is tenacity up, but that’s always the Empire’s big weakness. Krennic’s basic does apply tenacity down, so that’s something.

And with Krennic as leader, I could move my Palpatine and Vader over to a Sith team. I also have Thrawn. That’s the start of a 3rd Empire team, but there’s really no one left that would really make it good. I’ve got Royal Guard and IPD at G11, but they’re not that great. Royal Guard really needs a rework to get synergy with Palpatine.

I still have no desire to do Magmatrooper. The only two left are Saxon and the Super Commando, but with Empire weak in ships right now, there’s no incentive. Of course, I could always supplement it with Sith.

10. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I can't find the desire to put in my effort for Grand Arena the last few times through. I do hear they are working on a ladder system to climb into more challenging tiers, so that might bring some additional incentive for me. In particular I hate the 3v3 format. I just don't find it fun. The 5v5 is fine the way it is, I just find that I'm not interested in actually doing the battles some stages lol.

11. SumiXam

SumiXam Moderator Staff Member

I'm the same way. It just seems like a burden and most of the time I forget to battle. I just don't find that game mode very engaging.

12. Marc Tessier

I'm feeling rather powerful today.

I advanced to the final of the current Grand Arena against an opponent with both Darth Revan and Darth Malak. So, I kept JKR, CLS, Traya, Palaptine, and NS for offense. It turned into a pretty intense match. He had an 8 point lead after we both knocked out each other's fleet in 2 attempts.

He kept Darth Revan and Malak for offense, but put JKR on defense. I used the exact same JKR squad to attack his and got timed out. Then I knocked out five squads on the first try, leaving just his JKR and FO squads standing. At this point, I had not attacked FO.

A couple of hours later, I checked back and he had eliminated all my teams. However, it took him 2 attempts to take out my BH, Phoenix and Scoundrel squads, giving me a chance to win it.

I had saved CLS, Han, Chewie, R2 and 3P0 for my second attempt at JKR. I lost R2 after he used Smokescreen to protect the damage dealers and thought I was in trouble, but I landed Buff Immunity on GK to prevent taunts and then went right after Jolee and got him. After that it was fairly straight forward. I looked at the score and as long as I defeated his FO squad on the first attempt I was going to pick up enough points to win.

The question then came down to who should I use to fight his FO squad. I picked Jyn (lead), Chaze, Thrawn and Nest. The strategy was Fracture KRU and then go after FOX and FOTP to eliminate the damage dealers. It worked to perfection and I was never in trouble.

The Force is strong in my collection.

Final score: 1618 - 1607

Kevthejedi and Skywlkr76 like this.
  13. Electricboa

I had a pretty good GA, too. My opponent had Malak, which had me nervous, but he used both Revan teams for offense. He lost to my Jedi Revan team I'd placed on defense. He said afterwards that he'd forgotten to put mods back on his Revan teams after doing the Malak event. Even if he had cleared it, though, he would have lost.

Ships are my secret weapon. I've been putting my Bistan Falcon team on defense and it's difficult to beat. The only thing thathas a chance is another Falcon and even then it's RNG. If they put their own Falcon on defense, they have no chance at clearing me. But I can field at least 2 decent fleets on offense (Geos & Empire/HT). Those points really do give me an edge.

Kevthejedi and Marc Tessier like this.