1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

General GAC Questions

Discussion in 'Battle Advice' started by Themistocles, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Well-Known Member

Ah DR is his toughest team on defense but he traditionally takes GAS into the attack. Isn't a proper GAS trio a hard offensive counter for a SE trio that is placed on defense? That's why I suspected I needed something harder than DR on defense.

2. Laze

Laze Active Member

Not in 3v3. If you look at the .gg counters data, I think GAS has a 52% win rate. I think it’s one of those matchups that is sketchy both ways.

3. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

SLKR can solo GAS teams in 3v3. If you look at Season 16, solo Kylo had a 90% win rate against GAS. In 5v5, I wouldn't be as confident. Then again, I almost never see GAS on defense in GAC. Most people like to use hik on offense.

Laze likes this.
  4. Laze

Laze Active Member

How are SLKR mirrors in 3v3? The counters data doesn’t look very promising. I’m going up against someone who looks like they unlocked him around the time I did, so neither of us has ult.

If I could feel confident in a mirror, I could throw DR on D which should be trouble for my opponent if they don’t bring Kylo for offense since they have a slower DR and no GAS. Otherwise, I’ll have to use mine on D and just play for half the board, where I have a fleet disadvantage.

5. Electricboa

Kylo mirrors are always a little tricky, 3v3 even more so because you don’t have a full team. Without the ultimate, though, I think you should be able to win. I would say the safest team to use is KRU and Hux, which kind of hurts you other 3v3 FO teams.

I guess if you put DR on defense, that would be to your advantage. If they saved their Kylo for offense, they use it against DR and you get a free win with your Kylo. If they put their Kylo on defense, you take a risk of the mirror match, but they can’t get through your DR. So I would say put DR in one of the front to zones. Worst case scenario, their Kylo is on defense and neither of you can clear that zone.

That being said, most people tend to use Kylo on offense. All things being equal, it’s reasonably safe to assume that will be true. Unless you look at their GAC history and it shows otherwise If they have more GLs than you, then that’s also a sign they might put Kylo on defense to try and shut you out.

6. Laze

Laze Active Member

I don’t see SLKR in the history at all last week, so they must have been putting him on D, because I know they had him based on their arena history. I guess none of their opponents attacked him since they weren’t full cleared. Although one round I see they had DR on D, and one mystery squad that wasn’t attacked, implying they had Kylo blocking fleets. They do have a good Vader, so I guess there’s a chance they get through DR, but that’s a hard counter to pull off.

7. Electricboa

That's a good assumption. It's reasonable to think that if their opponent couldn't beat Kylo, they didn't even try if they saw it on defense.

I wouldn't be too eager to try Vader against DR in 3v3. In 5v5, that's a lot more reasonable.

8. Laze

Laze Active Member

That strategy worked, but now I’m up against Kylo with Ult. I’m assuming that’s a mirror I wouldn’t want to try? The only thing I can think of that might work is Kylo, KRU, Thrawn, but that would only work if there is no pretaunt on the other side.

9. Electricboa

Yeah, that one can be tough. Funny enough, 3v3 is better and worse in same aspects than 5v5 against one with the ultimate. The better part is having on 3 targets on your team slows their ultimate progress. In 5v5, Kylo can almost chain ultimates together and it can become very annoying. The bad side is you might want/need characters you can’t fit on your team.

Like I said, most people tend to use Kylo on offense, which makes the ones that do put him on defense a little more unpredictable. They could throw KRU on that team, but they’re sacrificing another FO team in the process. Though they can use any pre-taunting tank and get good results.

I would look at their history and see what they did in the past.

10. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

Now this is rather odd. My opponent for tomorrow's attack phase has 7.3m GP (about 230k more than me), but only one GL -- JMLS, who doesn't even have his ultimate (although that could be by choice).

11. Themistocles

Dang - does he have all the GL counters though or is his roster just bloated to hell?

12. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

There is definitely less interest in GAC these days. I'm seeing more AI-set defenses with a mish-mash of characters from different factions that nobody would ever set by choice. To be fair, I'm guilty of this too as I don't want to spend too much time playing the game.

In the previous championship, I went 2-1 during one week. In one match-up I got an auto defense and just did one battle to grab the win. My other "victory" came from having more GP than my opponent as neither of us did any attacks.

Today's opponent also has an auto-set defense. I actually found some time to set a meta defense with 3 GLs in the northern territory protecting my fleets. I cleared his 2 southern territories, so figure I'm good for the win.

13. Themistocles

Definitely week 1 and week 2 seem to be auto-set landmines. Ballerina and Komodo have gotten 1x auto-set apiece each week. Oh well, we'll take the easy wins!

Maybe they ought to introduce a new map for variety sake. Maybe a fleet zone in the front (which my kids would LOVE as it would allow them to deploy their superior fleets in front and negate half the board), or maybe a 2x1x2 board with a "key" zone in the middle. Or maybe a 3x2 zone pattern with fewer defensive nodes per zone to allow for more clearing/blocking choices than the current 2x2 pattern.

14. Electricboa

I had one person this GAC that didn’t try. Instead, they put down their hardest teams. I checked their history and they usually don’t attack, so I cleared one zone and waited. They never did anything and I won without having to fight a bunch of teams.

I did have an interesting battle in the last round. Both of us had JMK with CAT. They put them on defense with GK, GAS, and Ahsoka. I used JMK, CAT, KAM, Ahsoka, and Mace. Mace taunted because of JMK, so their CAT took him out. I got to save my GK for my Padme team instead.

15. Themistocles

You mean Mace might actually have a GAC purpose now post-JMK? Nice! I suppose it would be time to load up Mace with health/pro...

16. Electricboa

You wouldn’t really have to mod Mace much at all. In the next LS Geo TB, I want to try and use him. It’s basically the same strategy people were using with Jedi Guardian. Just put damage immunity on him and if they have no extra speed, they’ll be an immortal tank for quite a while. If JMK is fast enough, you might be able to keep applying it.

In this particular GAC instance, JMK always gives CAT damage immunity and she takes someone out the next turn. Since JMK makes tanks taunt, Mace took the hit.

He’s still a bad character, but if he can be used as a token tank under JMK that means that GK can be used with Padme. But that’s only if you have JMK. Without him, Mace can’t really do anything.

17. Themistocles

Oooh that's right - so would the optimal JMK - Mace modding be a complete no speed mod set with a buttload of health and protection?

18. Electricboa

Probably protection because health primaries tend to be more valuable for G13 characters and the protection primary is high at Mk 5 so you don’t need to slice them. But the reality is Mace is pretty fragile for a tank, so I’m not sure how much it really matters. If he gets hit without damage immunity, it’s not going to be pretty.

That’s why he’s so bad in general. He’s a tank, but he has nothing in his kit to taunt or punish the other team for not attacking him. He’s not no damage, his unique is a joke. The only reason he might have any value is purely the tank tag and JMK’s kit.