1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

General GAC Questions

Discussion in 'Battle Advice' started by Themistocles, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Well-Known Member

@Laze apologies if I've asked you this before, but what's your sequence of events for killing a GAS team using your DR/Wat?

Based on this guy's history I'm expecting him to have GAS on attack. I'm preparing though for the 1% chance he pulls a fast one on me and I need to whack a GAS using DR/Wat.

2. Laze

Laze Active Member

Basically just put weapon tech on DR and buckle up. After using it a lot more since I first tried it, I can say it works most of the time, but not every time. And don’t expect good banners - many times I’m down to one or two characters at the end.

As far as lineup, it’s DR, BSF, Malak, Wat + 1. My preferred 5th is Vader just because he wipes the clones out quickly, but I’ve had it work with Han or KRU in that spot.

Someone in my arena chat told me they use DR, BSF, Malak, Thrawn, Han, which sounds intriguing but I haven’t tried it yet.

3. Laze

Laze Active Member

I did get a chance to try DR, BSF, Malak, Thrawn, Han vs GAS and it worked. I think you have to be a bit careful with it - ideally you want to fracture GAS before he gets a turn. Also have to watch out for a fast Fives - he gains 15% TM when you stun Rex. But it’s another desperation option if you need Wat elsewhere.

Themistocles likes this.
  4. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

Well my first round opponent isn't going to be happy. I took one look at having to set 14 teams and thought, "Screw that!" So I set a full meta defense.

He does have all 4 GLs though, so perhaps he'll find a way through.

Themistocles likes this.
  5. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

6. Themistocles

Sooo this is going to be a non-clear, battle for the south kind of match. This is the rare guy who completely blows me out on fleets. So I simply must have a hard stop in the south, and I need SEE to hold on defense.

I have a plan against his historical 3v3 defenses. However if he throws a massive curveball and puts GAS on 3v3 defense I might be screwed. Besides using my SEE, is there anything in my kit that I could use to take out a GAS? I will have a lot saved on offense and will be concentrating on clearing the south corridor, so I should have some spare teams leftover if I need to throw 2-3 teams at it.

7. Electricboa

CLS, Han, and Chewie are supposed to be able to do it, but that’s normally at G13. I don’t think G12 would cut it. Other than that, I don't really see anything.

8. Themistocles

Even if I had them at G13, are they needed at R7 in order to cut it against an R7 GAS and usually an R7 Fives?

9. Electricboa

I don’t think so. Chewie does an extra 20% health damage to any enemy he hits and that can rapidly take down Fives and GAS. I think the main problem is being able to take a hit or two, since that’s a very glass cannon team. I would say R3 to be safe? Though most people take them to R5, since it’s a very good team. Anyone with JML will have Han and Chewie at R6.

10. Themistocles

So this guy has BOTH GAS and JKL and no SWGOH.GG history, so now I have to prepare for the worst. I know I need to take SEE on offense now. But what if he puts both down on defense? What can kill a JKL-led team?

11. Electricboa

For season 16 and 18, the best non-GL counter to JKL is a Vader team. CLS and DR are the most consistent non-GL counter to GAS. If it were me, I’d probably use SEE against GAS and Vader against JKL and maybe keep DR for defense, since he’s one of the top 3v3 defense teams.

https://swgoh.gg/gac/counters/JEDIKNIGHTLUKE/?season=16

https://swgoh.gg/gac/counters/GENERALSKYWALKER/?season=16

For JKL, you’d want to take him out quickly or use Thrawn to prevent him from taking his first turn. Once he goes, his leadership activates. The good news, is his JKL is probably not that fast. You’re incentivized to keep him slow if you’re using him as your leader. When you have JML, it’s not as important, but he’s not a fast character to begin with anyway.

12. Themistocles

Ok so far in the opponent's history, the toughest squad I need to navigate is a decently fast DR/BSF/Malak, but my DR/BSF/Malak owns every speed advantage and every gear advantage

Should I avoid being cute and just mirror match him completely with my own SE trio? Or could I possibly save my Malak and do my R7 Mara and one shot his R5 Malak?

13. Electricboa

If it were me, I’d probably just use the full trio. You’d probably be able to win without Malak, but if it doesn’t work or something goes wrong it can be very frustrating. I've been burned before when I've gotten greedy for banners or saving a character to use elsewhere. Once or twice, I lost where I could have won if I chose the safer route.

Themistocles likes this.
  14. Laze

Laze Active Member

I concur unless you feel like you need to take risks to win. I once went in against a slower, lower gear SE trio without my own Malak and while I won, it was a little scarier than I anticipated. Drain life can still hit you hard, even coming from a G12 Malak.

Themistocles likes this.
  15. Laze

Laze Active Member

So what’s a good 3v3 defensive option for SLKR? SLKR, FOST, Lobster? This would leave KRU/Hux free to lead other teams, and looking at the GAC meta teams on .gg, it seems to hold reasonably well. I know there’s a popular team with Daka/Zombie, but I don’t have them geared.

Edit:
    Or would it be better to put him with 2nd tier characters like Phasma or the pilots? My opponent has GAS, but I’d be surprised if they could pull off the GAS cheese counter.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021 at 8:53 PM
  16. Electricboa

Most people tend to use SLKR on offense because he can pretty much solo any non-GL in 3v3.

Personally, I like to use

KRU (L), OG Kylo, and FOX

Hux (L), FO Sith Trooper, and FOST​

Both are pretty strong, but that would leave you either saving SLKR for offense or putting him with Phasma and maybe FO SF TIE. If you’re trying to maximize teams, then Phasma and the TIE brothers make an okay C grade team. That would leave SLKR with FOO and maybe Bossk. Basically, just characters to fill in the spots.

It kind of depends on how many teams you’re looking to make as well as how difficult you want to make it for your opponent. The ‘best’ team for SLKR would be Hux and KRU, but you’re sacrificing your two best FO leaders. If you stretch to have a KRU, Hux, Phasma, and SLKR team, then you force your opponent to deal with two decent teams aside from SLKR.

Sometimes, using a seemingly weaker defense can pay off if your opponent underestimates it. It forces them to stretch their teams, too. That being said, I’m not 100% certain how SLKR fares on defense without his ultimate. I know it’s easier to counter, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything for 3v3. It was all way back when Kylo first came out and was entirely focused on arena.

Another thing you can consider is maybe gearing Daka and Zombie a little. Having them at G13 is really only for the CRancor. If you’re only looking at 3v3, you could probably get away with G12. All you really need is to force you opponent to focus away from SLKR. Once Kylo gives Zombie advantage, that’s pretty much it. They keep attacking Zombie and she’ll keep reviving and permanently taunt so long as she doesn’t score a critical hit and as long as Daka is alive.

Obviously, G13 is better. If you wanted to use them for offense, then that’s where you’d actually want G13. For 5v5, I sometimes use

SLKR (L), Daka, Zombie, FOO, and FO SF TIE​

If your Kylo is well modded, you can actually take on Rey and even mirror Kylo teams with it. The main threat with mirrors is if the other Kylo takes out Daka, you’re in trouble. So my Daka has just under 125k health.

Using that team for offense lets me put a very strong FO team on defense:

Hux (L), KRU, OG Kylo, FO Sith Trooper, and FOST/FOX​

KRU can be switched for leader, if you prefer. It’s as good as a non-GL FO team can get. I personally prefer to keep SLKR for offense because I can use the Daka/Zombie team to counter a GL or just use Kylo solo against a DR team or something like that.

17. Themistocles

Eh ok update on my guy. He's going to throw Padme/GK/JKA on defense. Normally I just solo Malak on that, but if the consensus is to mirror match his SE trio with my own DR/BSF/Malak, I'm not going to have Malak.

My Padme/GK/JKA far outweighs his on relic gear levels so I'm tempted to just throw my Padme trio on his Padme trio, but I don't have much practice on it. What are the mechanics of winning that fight?

18. Electricboa

I’ve never done a 3v3 Padme mirror match. I guess I'd use Ahsoka instead of GK so she can remove the protection up

Out of curiosity, why not use SEE against DR and then use Malak against Padme? You can save the rest of your DR team or put it on defense. Unless they have a GL you’re countering with SEE. You said DR was their toughest team.

19. Laze

Laze Active Member

What kinds of teams can SLKR solo in 3v3? Looking at the GAC meta database, it looks like he can handle DR, CLS, and Grievous. Can he solo GAS? That counter wasn't showing up in the data. I think GAS is going to be the most common "best" team my opponents have if they don't have a GL themselves.

20. jwall157

jwall157 Active Member

I did one of those the other day. I used the same exact team that he set. PADME, JKA, GK. It was a little scary but it worked out okay. I ended up needing to kill GK since he kept taunting, which made their JKA go ballistic, but I was able to pull through easy enough.

Not sure which team comp you should use - your Ahsoka is relic, mine is not. That’s why I used GK.

Just focus down JKA and save your Padme heals until they’re needed.