1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

General GAC Questions

Discussion in 'Battle Advice' started by Themistocles, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

CG Doja Fett confirmed on the official forums that changes are going to be made although he couldn't say anything else at this point. It's in the Mega thread about the CRancor raid. The other question is how long will it take for them to actually do it. I imagine right now their focus is on Conquest and ensuring that it runs smoothly.

2. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I missed that.

[​IMG]

3. Laze

Laze Member

After this last TB I was able to push Malak to 7* and quickly upgraded him to R5. I'm now looking at the best way to use him in GAC. I generally use a more offensive strategy, saving my best for offense and putting the leftovers on defense. Thus far, it has served me well so my first inclination is to look at how I can use Malak to solo teams on offense. Does anyone else use him this way and have pointers on what teams you've had good success against, how the consistency is, and so on?

The other question is how to mod him. After Electricboa's suggestion of looking at a tenacity build in another thread, I've scrounged together the fastest tenacity mods I can find (where my mod depth is not very strong), and have put together the following two builds:

1. The current speed/HP build I've been using in arena. Main stats:
    299 speed
    195k HP
    78% tenacity
    63% armor

2. Full tenacity. Main stats:
    279 speed
    168k HP
    174% tenacity
    61% armor

My assumption is that the 2nd build would give more versatility for soloing so I don't have to worry as much about stun, healing immunity, etc. But I'm also not that experienced with what teams I can expect to reliably solo, and whether that will make a significant difference.

Any thoughts on which build would be better for use in GAC?

Thanks!

4. Electricboa

I’ve used Malak a few times for solos, but not often enough to really give a list. Mainly, you want to avoid teams that can apply healing immunity or stun. I’m not sure how much high tenacity will mitigate that. Also avoid teams tenacity down combined with stun and healing immunity. Teams that can recover protection or give protection up could be an issue, since Life Drain is your main weapon.

I know a Carth-lead Old Republic team is pretty much a free Malak solo. Outside of that, I would usually use Malak on weaker teams for extra banners. But it’s been quite a while since then. No, my opponents rarely use teams that I would want to try and solo with Malak.

The nice thing about Malak is he’s good on offense and defense. You can easily use your DR on offense or as a separate defense team and put Malak on a completely different defense team and make it instantly harder to deal with. He’s very good at messing up counters to other teams because all of a sudden your opponent had to beat Malak on top of the team he’s on.

5. Laze

Laze Member

I do see a fair amount of carth teams on D, because in my division if you geared them to unlock Malak then they will be better than the bottom bench teams you will need to use. So assuming I don’t expect to see a team that I can solo and do throw him on D, the tenacity build would make him more of a pain, right?

6. Electricboa

Yeah, tenacity is usually harder to deal with. Though you really don’t see it all that often where I am outside of Rey teams. I suspect it’s because most people in division 1 (and maybe 2) use DR for offense almost exclusively. Tenacity isn’t as needed on offense and not particularly useful for TB. Plus, it’s easier to brute force Malak when you have GAS or GL Kylo. For you, you’re probably not going to see all that many people who have the ability to outright take out Malak like that.

Once you start seeing GAS more, probably after you’re done with your GL, then Malak having tenacity won’t matter as much. It can still trip people up if they’re not paying attention.

You’ll see Carth a decent amount, but long term that will go away. It’s very much a mid-game team that loses its viability as you get better teams.

And as far as soloing in general, it can backfire spectacularly. There have been a few GACs where I got greedy for banners and tried to solo something only to fail. Where I would have won if I had just used a full team and won the first time. A perfect example, was last GAC. The defense team was:

Grievous (L), Nute, B1, B2, and BB-8​

I’ve used Kylo to solo Grievous teams many times, but hadn’t run into this one before. I suspect I could have won if I hit BB-8 first, but I was overconfident and hit Nute to trigger his revive and to just wipe him out with an AOE next time I moved. I never got another turn. I sat for the full 5 min while that team kept getting TM and reducing mine until it timed out. They couldn’t defeat Kylo, but I never got another turn so it was a loss.

As it so happened, I won the round because my opponent did something similar with my Grievous team (same, but with Magnaguard instead of BB-8). They tried a solo with Rey and lost. Then they also failed once against my Negotiator. But you see how it can be a bit of a gamble.

7. Themistocles

Themistocles Active Member

So my next battle might hinge to trying my crazy Imp Troopers vs JKR experiment again. Against me I've got a G12 JKR squad that I barely outspeed. GMY is R2. I know my team is overrelic'd compared to his and my opener can kill one, but blasted Savior will trigger and give a bonus turn.

Last time I tried this, I did this on JKR and he woke up and direct focused my guy which then interrupted the whole opener. I was wondering if I could kill a less powerful toon - like say Bastila...she would wake up with Savior, and do...something against me...and then I feel like if I can get to Gideon's mass assist (4th in my opener) I can wipe out say Jolee and carry the battle. Think it will work? I can't find any evidence of anyone trying this on Youtube.

8. Electricboa

I’d say go after GMY first because he’s the squishiest. His bonus turn will probably be the AOE, then spread the buffs, but that shouldn’t matter against Troopers. You’ll already have a ton of TM and foresight only protects them for one hit.

Jolee isn’t a threat, but he has a lot of crit avoidance, which could be problematic. I probably wouldn’t want to risk not taking him out in the beginning.

Themistocles likes this.
  9. Themistocles

It worked. Got a little scary because I forgot to calculate GMY's speed and he was running a speed set on him for some reason, which meant that GMY got to go first. He used battle meditation, but thankfully I got the 2nd turn, did the typical opener, and this time managed to make it to Gideon who reset TM table. Once that was done, game over as suspected.

10. Themistocles

What is the ceiling of a CLS team WITHOUT Chewpio? I'm staring at an all R3 standard CLS team with C3PO and a G12 R2 being the lone non-relic 3.

His CLS is blazing at 323 and beats my DR by 7. Can a human opponent on the attack beat my DR team if I set my team on defense?

Should I set a pre-taunt tank? I suppose it doesn't even matter because CLS can just CTA around my pre-taunt tank and then Chewbacca will just strip the taunt eventually.

Thinking about it...can my all relic EP/Vader team block a CLS team? Vader should get the first turn...

EDIT: He has a G8, no zeta Chewpio that he actually uses on the attack. Does that change anything?

EDIT 2: This guy is smart enough to use a burner team first, but still lost to a mostly relic, blazing fast SE team (with SET/pre-taunt in the team though). But then he cleaned it up with a G12 Sith Trio plus G12 Thrawn?!? That's a viable counter to a relic SE team???

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  11. Electricboa

Hmm, that’s tough to say. I believe CLS can win on offense, but the most common 5th is Thrawn:

Chewpio can be used, too, but all the videos I saw were G13, so I’m not sure how high the bar is for him to be able to do it. GAC data shows about a 40-60% win rate with Chewpio, just without knowing the gear.

On the flip side, DR should be able to win even with Chewpio:

Han is going to go first and he ignores taunt, so he can potentially take someone out. Not DR because he won’t get assists. Not Malak because of his tankiness. Everyone else is vulnerable. But without Chewpio? You might not lose someone outright.

Not sure about the Sith Trio with Thrawn. I guess it’s possible, but I’ve never heard or tried it.

12. Themistocles

So if my opponent left both the A and B team FO squads on the front wall of his defense, it's safe to assume he took SLKR for solo offense opportunities right? There's no way there's an SLKR hiding in the back wall with a bunch of random non-FO stuff...is there?

13. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

I wouldn't think so

14. Themistocles

Update, he took SLKR on offense, solo. There's no weird viable permutation of SLKR with non-FO right? I know that non Resistance with Rey is all the rage, but I dont believe SLKR is quite like this no?

I think I've seen some people drop Malak with SLKR but that's niche I believe...

15. Laze

Laze Member

Someone in my arena runs Vader with him. I think it charges the ultimate faster with merciless massacre. I think some of the weaker Kylos have trouble with it. His kit says “dark side” everywhere, so I would think he’d still be pretty hard to beat with other dark side characters. But in GAC you wouldn’t want to waste characters that are good in other squads perhaps? Will be interested to see what others say.

16. Electricboa

Well, Kylo can theoretically work on any team. Any that gain TM, like Palpatine would be counterproductive. But Kylo and Rey are sort of generic compared to the more specialized JML and SEE.

That being said, the most common non-FO team I’ve seen is with Daka and Zombie. The others can be anyone. I’ve used this one myself, though only on offense. Funny enough, my opponent this round used Kylo with Daka and Zombie on defense. That can be insanely annoying. Part of Kylo’s leadership lets tanks taunt when they gain advantage and DS units regain advantage if they lose it without getting a critical hit. If you defeat Zombie twice, she’ll have -100% speed. So she’ll never take a turn and never get a critical hit, so Zombie will forever taunt as soon as she gets advantage.

Of course, Zombie only revives as long as there’s another living NS. So to win, you have to defeat Daka three times (Zombie will revive Daka twice as part of her kit). Then you can take out Zombie and be free. Daka will have her zeta, so she’ll get +10% health stacking for ever revive. And fun fact: Daka’s Chant of Resurrection has a 35% chance to revive non-NS allies. So if you defeat anyone else, including GL Kylo, Daka can revive them.

And seeing as Daka and Zombie are used for the best CRancor team with Kylo right now (the changes might affect that), there at least has been good incentive to gear up Daka and Zombie. Outside of that, any DS team could work. If you look at the best GAC teams:

https://swgoh.gg/gac/leaders/SUPREMELEADERKYLOREN/?duel_type=1

You’ll see it’s FO or Daka/Zombie. The ones with GAS, JKR, and JTR are auto-set defenses.

Themistocles likes this.
  17. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

After sitting out the previous week to focus on Conquest, I jumped back into GAC with a vengeance and went 3-0 this week.

Round 1
    My opponent set a defense, but didn't attack. I had a full clear.

Round 2
    My Rebel fleet held and I ended with a decisive victory with another full clear.

Round 3
    Squeaked out a 5 banner triumph. It took me 2 battles to clear his GG squad, which gave him an opening. But it took him 2 squads to clear my Padme squad in the back. I happened to be online while he was doing his battles and after his first attempt Padme was in the red with a sliver of health, while 3P0 was in the yellow. JKA, GK and Ahsoka were defeated. So, they hung in just long enough.

Final tally: 2088-2083

Themistocles likes this.
  18. Themistocles

This guy has a great non-GL roster. His DR team is faster than mine, though lower on relics. He also has a great GAS relic team. Thinking about trying something which is not in my GAC history at all which is SEE on defense with Malak. Thinking it might hold...should I?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  19. Electricboa

Maybe? I haven't really used SEE on defense myself. With Malak, that would be a tough team to beat without GL Kylo. I guess Vader with Wat and Shore could theoretically be possible, but unlikely.

SEE tends to be stronger in 3v3 because a lot of teams that can beat him need a full 5-person team to do it. SEE will link 2/3 of the team and unless they're GLs, that means no more critical hits. The only way that Vader team could win is if Vader doesn't get linked, which is a 50/50 gamble.

20. Themistocles

He has no Wat. Reddit concurs. I'm going to give this a shot. He has a better roster from a breadth perspective. I'm going to roll the dice and pray for the hard stop. Do you think I should put another meta Sith on the 3 v 3 team @Electricboa ? Otherwise I was thinking SEE, Malak (for tanking) and my beefy thicc Sidious to make it harder to chew through before you get to Malak. Dooku might be a shout. He can hide himself and force people to hit Malak.