1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

General GAC Questions

Discussion in 'Battle Advice' started by Themistocles, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Well-Known Member

So if the veterans don't mind I'd like to deconstruct my latest GAC loss and see if my original strategy was incorrect. It was a close loss (by one node) so there's something to be learned here I think for me. If it was a blowout loss I wouldn't even bother.

Situation: His GP is 170K more than mine. I entered his roster and on first glance, I kinda crapped my pants, as his roster's top is way better than mine. 6 G13's and I don't have a single one, 4 of them R7s. Good toons for G13 too, JKR, DR, GG, GMY, Jolee, Bas.

However on closer inspection I have more G12s and for some reason he never focused on fleet much so I know I can hold the fleet zone.

I was hoping to stack a layered defense in depth, so I put 5 of my best defensive squads remaining and stacked them in the bottom zones, and hoped that I could pick of 5 attack nodes to maybe eke out a win.

Didnt quite happen that way, he was able to clear all 3 non-fleet zones, and he went surprisingly offense heavy. He took his best squad which I knew I didnt have a shot of breaking (R7 JKR, R7 GMY, R3 Jolee) and protected his weaker fleet zone, so I was only able to clear the 6 other nodes. He went what I would say VERY defense light in the other 6 nodes, and clearing them was no problem even for my leftover squads.

In this situation I thought he would have tried to deny me access with more of his squads, and expected a tougher defense than he placed. When outmatched at the top like I was, should I just go offense heavy and try to clear as much as possible?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

With that JKR team, I’m not sure it would have mattered. He almost certainly put it to block his fleet because whatever he put on defense wasn’t that good. Since you had better ships, he probably figured it would be better to deny you that and gamble on the squad teams in the back bottom.

That being said, if you had DR it might have been possible to win. DR is a pretty hard counter to JKR. I’m not 100% sure about a G12 DR vs an R7 JKR team, but you probably would have had a decent shot. And that’s without Malak. With Malak, I’d bet on DR.

But your opponent would be an example of an almost too lean roster. Having those R7s are intimidating, but the right G12 characters can put up a fight. He had everything put into one team. That’s not necessarily bad, but it doesn’t give a lot of flexibility. I’m guessing he’s a newer player that probably spent money. Having R7s at 2 million GP is difficult without spending to do it.

3. Dagor

Dagor Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny, I said earlier that I hate 3v3 GAC, but I'm actually gonna go 2-1 this first round. Maybe I could have won the first round too, but I didn't bother to look at it really after setting my defense. I went pretty heavy defense, putting both my GL's on Def. My front sections were GL Rey, RePo, ReFi; Padme, Anakin, GK; GG, B1, B2; DR, BSF, Malak in the top zone. SLKR, KRU, Hux; Shaak, Rex, ARC; and GAS, Echo, Fives on the bottom front. So pretty strong up front. In the back I put Bossk, Boba, Jango; GBA, Spy, Sun Fac; Asajj, Spirit, Zombie, and JTR, BB8, Stick Rey. (Yes it sucks have to place 11 teams on defense at the higher levels...)

That left me some ok teams for offense like CLS, JKR, Trio, Talzin NS, EP/Vader, and a few others in there, but for the most part I didn't anticipate even attacking in most cases. After round one in which my opponent only was able to kill the non GL-teams, I figured I'd assess the front zones and see if I could knock one out or at least kill a few teams to get some points and maybe sneak in a win without much effort. In round two, my opponent (from Team Instinct) set a decent defense, but I was able to clear through his bottom front zone and figured he'd probably get stuck on my GL's since he set his Rey on defense. He didn't bother to attack.

This last round, I logged in last night to see my opponent cleared my whole board, so I took at look at his score of 2363 and thought that looks maybe beatable based on the fact that it took him 5 attacks to kill my Padme team, 2 on GAS, 3 on Asajj. So I figured if their defense wasn't too bad, I could maybe eek out another win. I looked over at his defense to find that he kept literally ALL of his offense teams for offense, there was a single G13 team which was ROLO, Northface Han, Lando, and mostly G8-G12 teams of old crap like DangerZone, Rogue One, Gar Saxon empire, literally Eeth Koth (G9), Jedi Guardian (G7), and Jedi Consular (G9), some ewoks, jawas, and tuskans in the back. So it was an easy run through. Guessing they thought they would be able to out-efficiency me (if I bothered to attack) and failed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  4. Themistocles

It was funny I had ANOTHER all out defense guy today and I thought of you and your curmudgeonly I hate 3v3 stance! He had 4 G13 toons with fairly high relics, but thankfully instead of defending in depth against the lower board where the points are, he spread horizontally across the front wall. I guess he didn't think I could breach his R5 Vader and R7 GMY teams...but I did. Thankfully he used R7 GMY as a leader, instead of Bastila which made him breachable.

5. Dagor

Dagor Well-Known Member

lol, curmudgeon.... I see how it is

6. Dagor

Dagor Well-Known Member

Speaking of overmatched, our TW opponent this week was vastly out matched by our GL numbers. We only had 40 join because we are carrying about 5 alts and we have a handful of guys that simply never join TW because they don't enjoy it. We still had 18 more GL's than they did. Our overall guild GP was actually quite similar, I think we only had maybe 10m more guild gp due to the alts. This is also our guild's final TW since we are doing a merge within our alliance tomorrow. Our guild is Rebel Force Endor, so we decided to go out with an ewok party and set the whole back wall as ewok teams. We also set a full GL zone.

In hindsight, I regret that we did because the opposing guild sensed that they were outmatched and only filled the front two zones, all other zones were left empty. And they filled those zones with Jawas and ewoks, none of which were higher than g10. Now I kind of wish we had gone with a full on trolly, campy, fun strat like we've done when matched up with TI or MAW teams in the past. 4 girls, 1 CUP; All wookiees, white coats, black coats, etc. And we wished that we had placed our ewok wall in the front instead of the back.

Themistocles likes this.
  7. Themistocles

Who are the 4 girls in the 4 girls 1 CUP strat?

8. Dagor

Dagor Well-Known Member

any four female characters plus coruscant underworld police. We usually did a combo of rey's and leia's, but really could be any female characters

9. Themistocles

Ah I was wondering if there was a prescribed female quartet.

Hey so this guy Im looking at could potentially put down a split squad of NS.

Im sure there's plenty of 3 man NS permutations, but out of the 4 quartet of Daka, Asajj, Talzin, Zombie, who's the most important for me to use say a Fracture or Direct Focus on?

10. Electricboa

[​IMG]

Daka is the one you need to take out first, but if they have Zombie there, you’re better off attacking someone else first. Zombie will revive Nightsisters twice before you can actually permanently defeat one. The revive can be the same NS two times or two different NS one time each, but you have to trigger that first, then go after Daka. Daka usually has the most health, so it’s not as efficient to target her first. Probably Ventress? If they’re all similarly geared.

11. Themistocles

It was Zombie (G10), Asajj (G13 R6) and Initiate (G10 or something like that). I thought my Vader/Palp/Thrawn team could hold them off if I fractured Zombie and used Massacre.

I lost. Upon reflection, I think I'm beginning to learn from this (and the previous round of 3v3) that Vader's massacre is robbed somewhat of its oomph in a 3v3 setting because I dont normally get to apply the 2nd round of dots within a massacre sequence. When I tried to cull Asajj it wasn't enough juice, and she started going to town shortly there after.

Sent in my full G12 JKR/Jolee/GMY lineup to cleanup and it easily won. I should have done that from the get go. My kids were arguing for that before the round started and I got a big "I TOLD YOU SO DADDY" after I lost the first time.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  12. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

I can tell you from experience it won’t be the last time you hear that phase.

Marc Tessier and Themistocles like this.
  13. Themistocles

Crowdsourcing my next round. Major threat is a G12 double zeta'd Padme and a G12 JKA. C3PO is in the mix and is in his squad arena lineup. I feel like either this or his G12 zzCLS, G11 zHan, G10 (5 star) zChewie might be waiting for me on defense.

Looking on SWGOH counters, I see that JKR is listed as a soft counter for Padme? I thought Padme was supposed to be a counter to JKR instead with all that extra protection you get with assists that you use on her??

I would like to reserve my JKR for the possible appearance of his CLS squad on defense... Wouldn't zPalp, zVader, Thrawn be better against a Padme lineup?

14. Dagor

Dagor Well-Known Member

I don't know about 3v3, but you can counter padme with jkr. A soft counter usually means that you have to play correctly and have even or better gear in order to win. I usually use DR vs Padme though. Traya can work too. At lower levels, I'm not sure what I would use. The palp/vader/thrawn lineup could work, just remember that while they have protection up from Padme, they are immune to debuffs, so you would want to check speeds and make sure you can fracture Padme to start.

15. Themistocles

Welp, I made a certain strategic decision based on this guys' last 3 championship involvements. It looked like he has a particular pattern and he ALWAYS does it. Of course, going up against me, I'm sure now that he's going to do something different.

Strategic question to the vets. When you're SWGOH.GG analyzing, and you see your opponent always does "a thing", do you usually react to it and exploit it?

16. Dagor

Dagor Well-Known Member

I do look to see if they change their defenses around round to round and look to see how their opponents attacked those defenses. But I usually more often look to see what they are using on offense to counter certain squads so I can adjust the team I place if necessary. At the higher end, it becomes more about efficiency and denying points than it is about stumping your opponent or halting their progress. So you're trying to deny those undersized wins by mixing up the defensive comps to make it harder to go in short-handed and ensure a win. In most cases both players are going to get a clear, so it's all about being the most efficient.

Themistocles likes this.
  17. Electricboa

I usually use JKR against Padme in normal 5v5. I guess I would in 3v3, since GMY is the one doing all the damage anyway. But you do need a high offense GMY to do that.

For GAC, I don’t really bother looking at my opponent’s history. And I’m also the guy who pretty much always uses the same defenses. It’s not that I don’t care about winning, but I don’t care enough to do all the recon and try and mind game someone who probably won’t bother looking at my history either. Besides, there aren’t that many variations on defense with my opponents. Most all of them set the same things I do. I keep enough for offense to be flexible enough to full clear just about all the time.

Themistocles likes this.
  18. Themistocles

Well it had to happen eventually. Up against a full on Revan/Malak squad. a G10 6 star no zeta Malak but still Malak and everybody else is G12. Oh well. At least I'll get the 1 zeta.

19. Themistocles

Holy crap I won. How the hell?

Marc Tessier likes this.
  20. Dagor

Dagor Well-Known Member

It looks like I'm set to go 2-1 again this set of rounds. The first round I lost because he did like me and split up his GL's on defense. He was able to clear though Kylo, so he got the bottom two zones cleared. Second round my opponent didn't even set all the teams required (missed one in the back. I was able to clear three zones though. He placed his GL Rey on the back row, so I wasn't going to be able to clear that anyway. He didn't even attack. This final round, I was able to clear my opponent's front bottom and didn't go much further than that. I could probably clear out his back section as well though. He has only attacked my GL Rey team and failed 5 times on it and has not attacked anything else with 19 minutes left, so pretty sure I'll end up winning this one.

Marc Tessier and Themistocles like this.