1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

General GAC 2.0 Questions

Discussion in 'Battle Advice' started by Electricboa, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

I thought it might be a good idea to start a new one of these, since we’re dealing with GAC 2.0: Whale Harder. I’m not sure what all will be different, since it’s essentially the same thing, minus the GP matching. But with omicrons being a big factor and other things, it will be a little different.

For what it’s worth, I got matched up with an opponent with 600k more GP than I have. They have all 6 GLs, but no Executor. I am intrigued. I’m also not above putting Executor on defense because I almost never get to do that.

I ended up putting both my omicrons on defense, so we shall see how well it works. My opponent doesn’t have any GAC omicrons. They also haven’t responded to me wishing them luck, so I’m not sure if they’re even going to try.

Either way, I ended up using:

QGJ (L), KAM, Aayla, GK, and Barriss

Bossk (L), Zam, Boba, Embo, and Greef

Greef is only G12, so I’m a little iffy on him. I was also really tempted to do a Boba lead with Zam and Dengar for the thermal detonator synergy.

Themistocles likes this.
  2. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

That is an interesting match. Good luck!

I was expecting a mismatch and CG did not disappoint. My opponent has all 6 GLs and 800k more GP than I do. I kept QGJ for offense and am tempted to try him out against a GL since I think it's a guaranteed loss. The guy is in Shadowlands, one of the best alliances in the game. There's also a Instinct/CAW player in my bracket.

I'm trying out a couple of different squads on defense.

Padme lead with Bad Batch
    Maul lead with BAM, Mando, Jango and Bo-Katan

3. Laze

Laze Well-Known Member

It's interesting to see the contrast between what you are seeing up near the top. Down here in Aurodium 4, I'm seeing a lot of mismatches that will go the other way. My first opponent does have SEE, but they don't have GAS, have pretty poor mods, and I far outclass them in ships (they start Thrawn in fleet arena) so it should be an easy win.

As far as my pod, there is only one other GL owner - someone with Rey who at least looks semi-competitive, although they do not have Executor. The other 5 squads will be far outclassed, as they all lack a GL and don't have Negotiator or Malevolence. One of them uses Nightsisters for their arena team. I'm hearing this as a common theme from other people in my guild and arena shard - there are many rosters at this mid-level GP that are fairly bloated and will drop initially.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  4. Electricboa

I think it mostly comes down to numbers. At a certain GP level, I don’t think you’re going to find a bunch fo bloated rosters because there’s only so much GP you can get from gearing everyone to R7 or something. Around 5 million GP, there’s a lot more room for players to have a lot of useless GP.

. . . And my opponent didn't set nay defenses, so I guess I get a free win. There's no way he's going to clear anything with all his strongest characters on defense in random teams. Funny enough, I rarely see it. The vast majority of my opponents to set defenses and actually try.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Marc Tessier likes this.
  5. Dgmr

Dgmr Active Member

…and way down here in the cellar of Bronzium, it seems similar to what Laze mentions. My first opponent doesn’t really have any solid team factions, just a mishmash of different characters - couple of Mandos and Greef paired with G12 KRU, Vader/GMY/Boba/Phasma/Bo K…best team was on defense. I guess it’s not a surprise this close to the bottom to run into that…

Marc Tessier likes this.
  6. Marc Tessier

Just to follow up on QGJ in GA. I forgot to use Conehead. Doh!

QGJ (lead), JKA, Barriss, Aayla and GK

I took them in against DR, Bast, HK, Sith Empire Trooper and Sith Marauder. Enemy went first and killed QGJ immediately. This triggered JKA's bonus turn. And it was beautiful. His AoE killed everyone except Sith Empire Trooper. So it was easy clean up work after that. The battle lasted 20-25 seconds. Wish I used K-Adi Mundi in place of Aayla. Next time!

7. Electricboa

Would KAM have mattered if they took out QGJ so quickly? What the Jedi really need is a pre-taunting tank.

Matchmaking in my group is mixed. There are only two players who have more GLs than me and also have the Executor. One is my opponent this first round, who has no way of beating me now with all his best characters on defense in random teams. The other one has 9 million GP, so I doubt I’ll be able to get #1. Everyone else either has more GLs and no Executor, or Executor and fewer GLs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  8. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Well-Known Member

There's only one other player in my group with GLs, and he has both Rey and SEE. I'll have to figure out how to deal with him. For everyone else, I'm just putting JML on defense and calling it a day.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  9. Themistocles

Themistocles Well-Known Member

Aurodium 2 for me and Bronzium something or another for my kids. Roughly there are 3 competent opponents in our rounds, and 4 rosters of WHAT THE HELL levels of randomness.

Dgmr and Marc Tessier like this.
  10. Dgmr

Dgmr Active Member

Curious what the more experienced folks think, but it seems like this is going to take a few rounds to shake out. I just don’t think CG had any handle on the initial groupings and match-making. So now we just play our way through it and hope that it all eventually falls out like it should. That said, I’m personally happy with my initial match-ups as they’ve been easy so far (totally random teams from disparate rosters, and for my first match no opposing offense). But…I think that really says that the “skill ratings” were just garbage and we should’ve started in different places…IMO…

11. Marc Tessier

They did warn us that there would be some poor matchmaking to start, but that over time it should work itself out. Not too worried about it at this point.

On another note, my round 2 opponent has an auto defense.

12. Electricboa

This is a case where I think there was no perfect system for matching. There are good and bad things about any kind of matchmaking and it’s usually the extreme cases that be publicized.

The old GAC method of using GP kept things relatively even by matching people based on GP, but that obviously penalized players who geared a bunch of characters and bloated their roster. Players who played leanly and efficiently had an inherent advantage. It also led to situations where GLs could be horribly mismatched because it did not hard filter for those. A person with a bunch of R7s could have the same GP as a GL.

Another problem with the old style is CG would periodically have to redo the divisions to accommodate as players at the top got more and more GP. That could have been addresses by having the lower GP start at 1 and they could just add a new tier at the top and keep counting up, but that’s not the path they went.

The new method needed an initial way of putting everyone in and let things sort themselves out. Initially, you’re going to have a bunch of favorable match-ups with leaner rosters because you were more efficient with who you geared. The skill rating at the beginning is meaningless. But the longer it goes on, the more it should reflect where you are overall. Unfortunately, that takes a lot of your efficiency advantage away. Not entirely. You’ll obviously still end up higher than someone who is bloated, but you’ll never be the big fish in a small pond.

For CG, having it purely based on wins and losses means they don’t need to redo the divisions all the time. As players get more and more GP, it naturally will increase the threshold. But there will be exceptions. You’ll have people that can hit above their GP.

Another thing is GAC does actually give incentive for players to join. You need to join and at least do one attack (even if you lose) to get any rewards. Even if you drop to Carbonite 5, some crystals are better than nothing. That could make it better for active players because the ones that don’t care will drop and make room for the ones actually trying to rise up.

For you at 2 million, it should be better. The players who got hurt the most are the lower GP ones that were always getting top 3 in squad arena and the players around 5 million GP because that starts getting into multiple GLs and they can’t climb that much until they start hitting the big GP players.

But there are players who will drop. My first opponent had 8.5 million GP, didn’t set any defenses, and didn’t attack. She they get no crystals and they’re likely to keep dropping. But they had all 6 GLs, so the auto-deploy put them all on defense. At a certain point, they’re not going to be able to drop anymore. Assuming they refuse to do one attack to qualify for rewards. I think some people just didn’t realize and are unhappy they lost out of free crystals.

My round 2 opponent set a real defense, but I have 2 more GLs then them and they don't have an Executor. I didn't put any GLs on defense,e but I did put my Executor. I don't think they really have much of a shot at winning. It's heavily slanted in my favor.

13. Dgmr

Dgmr Active Member

Sure, very fair and good points @Marc Tessier and @Electricboa…and I do agree. I think I am/was off-put by the “skill rating” label and the expectation that maybe these initial match-ups were somehow going to be really reflective of a players approach to their roster. So far I just don’t see it as my roster has such different characteristics from those of my opponents. But, fair enough, no system is perfect and in time it should start to sort itself out - and as such these early ratings really don’t mean much. It’s all good perspective above, thanks!

14. Electricboa

Final round and I guess that one player with 9 million GP didn’t do anything because I got matched against someone with 4 GLs to my 5 and an Executor. I got to put LV on defense, so I should have the edge in this one, too.

As for round 2, my opponent did clear my QGJ and Zam teams with only one attempt. They needed 4 attempts for my Mothma and 5 for Grievous. And they didn’t bother trying the top two zones because there was no way to win at that point.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  15. Dgmr

Dgmr Active Member

Down in the depths of Bronzium, round 2 opponent only cleared my bottom right zone where I had parked a few weaker teams. Top zone with my stronger defense wasn’t touched, nor was my bottom left wall where I put my Ewoks. Round 3 looks like more of same, only a few decent teams and at low gearing.

16. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Well-Known Member

Mine also. It was also the one in this round I was worried about how to handle, so that worked out well.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  17. Dgmr

Dgmr Active Member

No worries here on round 3. The best defensive squad I faced was taken out with one round of Vader’s MM. They didn’t get a shot off. I’m curious to see how the deck gets shuffled for the next event. I like the easy wins, but am ready for more crystals.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  18. Marc Tessier

As expected, my second round opponent didn't even attack. It sure is nice when you find 900 crystals in your inbox.

My round 3 opponent and I are very evenly matched -- both 5 GLs (only difference is he has SLKR and I have LV) and a 7-star Executor. And GP is within about 40,000 of each other.

He set Rey on defense in the front southern territory. He had a BH squad with the omicron on Zam and I used Rey/Resistance to beat it. Good thing I did go in hard, because it was a really tough team. He also had a QGJ squad with omicron in the back southern territory. I used Master Kenobi to take out that squad. I've full cleared his ground squads without dropping a battle. I'm currently sitting on 1,370 banners, but haven't attacked his fleets yet. My opponent hasn't done any attacks yet.

I set LV, Maul, Shore, RG and Thrawn in the back territory and my QGJ squad in the front northern territory, so both of us had similar thoughts in setting our defenses -- 1 GL each, plus QGJ.

It may very well come down to Fleet. We both set our Executor and Chimaera fleets on defense. I'm gonna have to watch BitDynasty's video on beating Executor with Malevolence. I've never attempted it yet.

The BH team seems vastly improved with Zam's omicron. I have enough to give it to her, but was thinking of waiting a bit before using it. I'm reconsidering that now after seeing how good it makes BH.

Laze likes this.
  19. Dgmr

Dgmr Active Member

Good luck!

20. Electricboa

My 3rd opponent did actually attack, but he really struggled. Both my QGJ and Zam teams took two battles for them to clear, but they also got tripped on a couple others. They didn’t clear the top front zone and never made it to ships.

Even if they did, I’m not sure they could clear it. They put their Executor and Negotiator on defense. I put both my Negotiator and Malevolence on defense, so I mirrored the Executor and it took be three battles to beat the Negotiator. They would have Malevolence for offense, but I don’t know if they could have cleared both. Malevolence can beat the Executor, but my Negotiator fleet is pretty strong.

So I won all three, but it wasn’t even really a contest. The first two didn’t do anything and my last opponent had a huge disadvantage going in. The did beat my LV team. I think Shaak Ti with Troopers is supposed to be able to cheese it.

None of my opponents had any omicrons, so I never saw any of it firsthand. Mine on defense certainly helped, but I likely would have won either way. But I am still happy with both. Even if I decide not to use KAM and GK with QGJ, it’ll always be an extra Jedi team I can make out of junk. Zam is good now, but I think down the line when I do get Old Man Boba, she’ll do a lot more. I’m figuring on something like:

Old Man Boba (L), Zam, Dash, Fennec, and a 5th​

But that’s down the road after Rey. Maybe after Starkiller, since Dash is there. I could do Boba before Starkiller, though.

Marc Tessier likes this.