1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Ebb and flow zeta?

Discussion in 'Characters, Skills and Equipments' started by Joebroni, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Joebroni

Joebroni New Member

https://swgoh.gg/p/127949867/

Should I put a zeta on ebb and flow? Seems underwhelming. Also considering R2’s numbers crunch or save for CLS. Thanks

2. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

That’s a tricky one. Thrawn is still one of the best characters in the game and can work in almost any team. Ebb and Flow is a good Zeta, but probably not as valuable as it used to be. Getting 100% counter chance is very nice, since it lets your Thrawn still attack when he’s Fracturing someone. The extra tenacity is also useful to make sure he won’t be stunned and can keep countering. The TM reduction is very narrow, but works especially nice under a Palpatine lead.

Up until the Revan era, Thrawn had been in every meta team since he was released. His capital ship was the best in the game, too. So a lot of people did Ebb and Flow. Some even did his leadership just for the capital ship boost.

Now? His ship isn’t the top anymore, though he is still very good. He can still fit in with any team and can be used regularly in counter-meta teams.

The tricky part comes down to whether CLS is going to be better than Palpatine. With ideal line-ups, CLS will usually walk over Palpatine, but you’re probably not going to be seeing C-3PO or Chewie show up for a while. Both events are on the difficult side, so you could get away with running Palpatine longer, especially with Fallen Bastila. Fear is an amazing mechanic and she kind of shuts CLS down. Corrupted Battle Meditation reduces counter chance to non-Sith/Jedi (CLS isn’t a Jedi).

So you probably could afford to invest more into your Sith/Empire team. Definitely still go for CLS, but you wouldn’t need to gear that team as much right away and you could hold off on Zetas. My advice would be this:

Work on gearing Tarkin. He’s better than TIE Pilot in your current team. You lose a little damage, but Tarkin throws out more debuffs and gives you more control. He also has a little anti-Rebel synergy, which would help give you more of an edge against CLS teams. I’m really on the fence about Thrawn’s Zeta. It would make the team better, but it probably won’t be a game changer. He’s definitely better than Vader’s Zetas. Tarkin’s unique Zeta can be a little fun, but still not as good as Thrawn. Yeah, I think I would do Thrawn’s Ebb and Flow.

R2 is a great character, but he’s limited to LS teams. CLS is great, too, but needs a full Rebel team. To reach his full potential, he basically needs to be this:

CLS (L), Raid Han, Chewie, R2, C-3PO​

And that team is a little Zeta-intensive. Not to mention the Zetas you’ll probably need to complete the Chewie and C-3PO events. Chewie can be done without it, but you’re going to need G11+ and specific Bounty Hunters to avoid it being a complete RNG nightmare. C-3PO is probably the same, but I’m not sure if it can be done without Chirpa’s Zeta. Bossk’s Zeta is strong recommended for Chewie.

At the end of the day, that team is pretty difficult to get and it isn’t even the top meta anymore. You should be able to get CLS with what you already have. I would almost suggest not going for the rest of that CLS team right away. I would almost suggest going for one of the Revans. Both teams are better than the CLS one and don’t require as many legendries. Darth Revan is probably a bit much for you right now, since his event does more or less need a G11 team with win with at least one Zeta recommended. Jedi Revan can be done with gear levels comparable to Thrawn’s event. And you kind of end up with a ready-made team by the time you get him.

You need Jolee and Bastila (LS) to unlock him and both end up in the final ideal team. GM Yoda is also important for afterwards and you already have him unlocked. You’d probably get him to 7 stars as a side effect. The last slot is ideally General Kenobi, but any Jedi can work in that spot, even Old Ben or Ezra.

Though you might want to get other input, just in case.

3. Joebroni

Joebroni New Member

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the advice.

Interesting on tarkin, i decided to bounce him when I added badstilla because I didn’t have him fast enough to help get turn meter train going and he wasn’t getting enough turns. What speed would you recommend for him?

I hear you on the CLS squad. I’ve been farming DR squad already, so I’ll just keep going that route. What zetas do you recommend there?

4. Electricboa

Speed shouldn’t be as much of an issue because of the TM gain. Vader should usually go first because of is speed bonus. Use his AOE to throw out debuffs and then Culling Blade on the one with the most debuffs. That jumpstarts your whole team. Whne it’s Tarkin’s time, use Intimidation Tactics and then you should go again to use Ultimate Firepower. Tarkin is mainly there to give you more debuffs to boost your TM train and to remove TM with his AOE.

You’re going to want to load him up with potency. He gains a defense bonus equal to his potency, his AOE gets an offense bonus equal to his potency, and that potency lets you apply more debuffs. But that defense ends up making him very tough. Speed is always important, but there’s not really a recommended speed. At best, you’d get a turn order for some teams, but outside of Vader going first, it really doesn’t matter for a Palpatine team.

As far as Tarkin’s unique Zeta, it gives him +20% potency for each debuffed enemy. It’s mostly a quick way to increase his defense and AOE damage. You won’t really see big AOE damage in arena, but in an event like the really long Ewok one you can charge your potency throughout and then do a 20k AOE at the very end because the potency carries over.

How much does it matter? Tarkin is a very good Empire character. He’s amazing under Palpatine, but can also work effectively under Krennic, Thrawn, or even as a leader himself. He does have a capital ship, which is your best early game one. Kind of like Thrawn, he stays useful. If you want to take a look at my Tarkin for an idea:

https://swgoh.gg/p/613136164/characters/grand-moff-tarkin

I’ve got a lot of speed secondary mods, so it might not be a realistic goal for you right now. My Empire bias aside, I think he’s pretty good. Generally, Empire teams are the opposite of Rebels. Rebels tend to do high damage but can’t take a lot of hits. Empire characters do best by overwhelming the other team with debuffs. They don’t do as much burst damage, but wear the other side down.

DR might not be the best one to do first. Apart from requiring higher gear levels to complete, you’re going to want Malak with your DR team. You need both Revans to get Malak.

As far as DR team Zetas, it kind of depends. His leadership Zeta is probably the weakest of the bunch. Sith Empire allies can’t have their TM reduced. It’s nice to have, but not really an issue. Conqueror is the most recommended to prevent assist attacks against DR. Villain sounds like a great Zeta, but you almost never see it trigger. If DR’s health falls below 50%, he equalizes with the healthiest ally. This can happen an infinite number of times. Unfortunately, all that Ferocity usually means that if DR is weak enough to drop below 50%, he just gets taken out completely.

You already have Fallen Bastila’s Zeta, so I can skip that. Both HK Zetas are good. Loyalty prevents enemies with bonus protection from gaining TM, but that only really matters against teams that actually get protection up. It’s mostly just an anti-Jedi Revan Zeta. Self-Reconstruction is better, since you’ll have a lot of Fear being thrown out. Both of the Malak Zetas are crucial.

The nice thing about DR is you can get away without any Zetas on his team (without Malak) and he’s just as good. The Zetas give a small edge or are designed to counter Jedi Revan. Jedi Revan teams tend to need more Zetas to get to the same level. You want all of Jedi Revan’s Zetas ASAP and Jolee’s Zeta is the most important in the whole team. GM Yoda’s Battle Meditation is also good to have.

But you really want Malak with your DR, so going for Jedi Revan first is probably the best thing to do. He’s the easier of the two and better than Palpatine or CLS overall.

5. Joebroni

Joebroni New Member

Thanks again. Very helpful. Wish I asked sooner

6. Electricboa

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You are going to eventually farm all the Old Republic characters anyway. And having Fallen Bastila where you do right now should keep your Palpatine team pretty stable in the arena. That will let you work on gearing the OR characters for the event without suffering any downsides in the arena. Your next arena team change would be switching over to Jedi Revan.

7. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I would agree with all of boa's assessments. I would also add that it's really tough to advise where to put zetas on 'younger' accounts for me because I've been using these characters with their zetas for so long, it's hard to remember what they were like without it. In many cases, they've also been reworked since then so there isn't a real comparison. If you're set on using it on one of those two, I would probably do Thrawn just because he's more universally useful. He has his ship and he can be plug and play in many teams. I use him right now on my alt in my JKR team to climb every day in arena vs maxed DR teams. Many people use him before having Darth Malak in a Darth Revan team as well. He's just so useful on so many teams for many different reasons. R2 has his uses too, but to be honest, I mostly only use him anymore for P1 JTR team and usually as an extra droid in my JTR team in TW/GA to take out a BH team. Honestly could probably use a different droid in that spot now that I think about it because Dengar pretty much makes him mostly useless aside from his stun chance on basic. I'll sometimes use him with CLS, but usually just throw Old Ben in with CLS if I'm not going with 4 in GA.

8. Joebroni

Joebroni New Member

Good stuff. Thanks Dagor. That's what I ended up doing. Figured R2 will only be used in GA right now so not necessary.

9. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

That's not to say that Numbers Crunch isn't a great zeta though. You'll probably want it eventually. The trouble with zetas though is that it's incredibly hard to "catch up" as there always seems to be something new coming out (or that you acquire) that demands zetas for what you're doing right now. There are quite a few that I regret not doing back in the day (and a few that I regret doing to be fair) now because I don't know that I'll ever get to a point that I can afford to go back and place them. A good example would be C-3PO's second zeta on Wait for Me!, I was short on zetas at the time, so I didn't place that back then. Now with Geo TB being a huge priority for guilds in my range, the priority is on characters that will help with that, so that has put C-3PO on the back burner even though that is a pretty good zeta for GA/TW and raids.

I don't have many that I regret for any reason other than I don't use the character anymore or the kit has just not kept up with the current state of the game at least. An example would be Qui-Gon Jinn. He was great at the time I placed the zeta, but he's just fallen out of favor. I actually just looked because I figured there had to be more zetas that I would have regretted, and there really aren't that many. I probably would say that Embo's zeta is a little bit of a regret for me. It's good, but it's hard to see value in a zeta when that team is pretty much only used on defense.