1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

    If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Darth Vader Rework/Buff

Discussion in 'Characters, Skills and Equipments' started by Electricboa, Jun 22, 2020.

  1. Electricboa

    Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2015
    Messages:
    2,779
    Likes Received:
    524
    Darth Vader's kit will be receiving some changes in today's update.

    [Developer Insight - Kit Update]

    UNIT NAME: Darth Vader
    ALIGNMENT: Dark
    CATEGORIES: Dark Side, Attacker, Leader, Sith, Empire

    ABILITIES:

    Changes in Green

    NEW ABILITY Special 3: (ZETA) Merciless Massacre (Cooldown 9)

    FINAL TEXT: Gain Merciless and take a bonus turn after this one. All enemies gain Merciless Target, which can't be evaded or resisted. When Darth Vader uses an ability, Merciless Target is removed from the targeted opponent and Darth Vader takes a bonus turn. If the target did not have Merciless Target, then Merciless expires, and Merciless Target is removed from all remaining enemies. Darth Vader can ignore taunt effects when targeting enemies with Merciless Target.

    While Merciless, Darth Vader is immune to Fear and Turn Meter manipulation, and his bonus turns do not trigger other characters' effects based on bonus turns or Turn Meter gain.

    Merciless Target: Darth Vader must target a unit with this or a taunt effect, can ignore Taunt to target this unit, and takes a bonus turn after using an ability while targeting this unit

    Merciless: +50% Offense, +25% Critical Chance, and +50% Critical Damage; immune to Fear and Turn Meter manipulation


    Unique 1: (ZETA) No Escape

    FINAL TEXT: At the start of each encounter Darth Vader gains 8 Speed until the end of the encounter for each of the following: Empire ally, Sith ally, Jedi enemy, Rebel enemy. Darth Vader is immune to Turn Meter reduction and recovers 5% Health whenever a Damage Over Time effect on an enemy expires. Whenever Darth Vader activates Merciless Massacre, dispel Stealth from all enemies.
     
  2. Electricboa

    Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2015
    Messages:
    2,779
    Likes Received:
    524
    I think there’s lots of potential with this one. I was on the fence about going for Jedi Luke, but I saw the rework and had the gear to get Vader to G13 and did it. I would say this is a lot of impact for early and late game.

    Early game, Empire is going to keep viability a lot longer. I haven’t used it under Palpatine, yet, but I suspect it’s going to be very good. I’ve heard that the reworked Vader is viable against Geos. Not sure the team exactly, but I can imagine from how Merciless worked for me under Kylo.

    Basically, you use the special and everyone on the other team gets Merciless Target. Vader can then hit each enemy once. He can also AOE and only the character you specifically have targeted will lose Merciless. So first turn, you use Merciless, then AOE, then you can use Culling Blade or basic on everyone else. In a normal 5-character team, when you hit the last Merciless Target you get one more turn and your AOE is off cool down. Against Geos, you get one extra turn after that.

    Under a Vader lead, that’s up to 6 DoTs on everyone since you have 2 chances to use the AOE. And under Palpatine, that’s a ton of debuffs to start the TM train.

    For end game, I threw Vader on my arena team in place of Malak:

    GL Kylo (L), Hux, FOO, GBA, and Vader​

    It was terrifying. Everything I already described about it before still applies, but the real benefit under Kylo is you get to charge his ultimate. By my math, against a normal 5 character team, Vader can charge Kylo’s ultimate up to 70% on his turn alone.

    We’re assuming 100% crit chance. You get +25% charge from the first AOE. Then +5% each for hitting the last 4 characters for 20% total. Then you get one more bonus turn and your AOE is off cool down, so you can get another +25%.

    There are a couple caveats here. First, Vader gets +25% crit chance from Merciless, so you would need a 75% crit chance base for it to be 100%. My Vader only has 51% base, so only 76% with Merciless. I have mine modded for offense, potency, speed, and crit damage. I kind of just threw him in the arena to see if it worked.

    The second caveat is the jury is out on how the AI plays Vader. The person who hit me after payout said that the first time, said the first time Vader hit Merciless targets and the second time didn’t. Worst case scenario, the AI is going to do it randomly, so you won’t get optimal play. So the first turn, you have 100% chance to hit a merciless target, the second turn you only have 80% and so on down until the AI hits a non-Merciless and it’s all broken. Still a bit of RNG thrown in there to mess with people.

    Edit: And apparently has anti-GL potential:
     
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  3. Marc Tessier

    Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2016
    Messages:
    1,827
    Likes Received:
    334
    This is awesome. I maxed Merciless Massacre right after I read the description.

    Just used Vader in the Places of Power assault battle in challenge tiers 1 and 2. He's so much fun to play.
     
  4. Skywlkr76

    Skywlkr76 Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2018
    Messages:
    370
    Likes Received:
    115
    Just when I'm about to loose all faith in CG, they turn around and do a solid for the community.
     
  5. Dagor

    Dagor Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2018
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    110
    The reeks of when it was discovered that Palp lead could destroy DR+Malak right after they released. It was swiftly nerfed to prevent them from beating the new meta. If they are seeing Vader come in and beat GL's at a high rate, I would imagine we will see a buff to GLs or a nerf to Vader (something like how JKL's speed down doesn't work against GL teams most likely).
     
  6. Electricboa

    Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2015
    Messages:
    2,779
    Likes Received:
    524
    I agree, there’s probably no way CG is going to let it stand. It’s too accessible for FTP and too good at countering. That being said, it does seem like Vader is a solid counter to Rey and Jedi Luke is a solid counter to Kylo.

    I seriously doubt that was planned (because CG), but they could decide to roll with it. The Vader rework has gotten an overwhelmingly positive reaction and that’s right on the heels of a positive reaction for the Luke event. Given that CG is trying to get some goodwill back and make people forget about the whole Ahnald thing, they could leave it. Especially because GL users are putting Luke and Vader on their own teams. I give it 55/45 chance in favor of leaving it.
     

Share This Page