1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Darth Malak

Discussion in 'Characters, Skills and Equipments' started by Electricboa, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear it. While I liked the function and design of the event, doing it with no notice and running it for such a short period of time does make it the worst event I think we ever had. Especially when the LS involves so much RNG, it's asking a lot for someone to be able to do it over and over again when each attempt takes a long time to to. You don't know if it's going to work or not until you've actually gotten to the end.

How much GET did you save up beforehand? I was a bit short with only 61k. You figure we need 68,400 in total. I currently need 80 shards to finish him. At 380 GET per shard, that's 30,400. I currently have 23,528. We should get 25 or 26 stars in Geo TB, so I'm assuming worst case scenario I'll gte 5,700. That leaves me with 1,172 short of what I need. TW rewards are only 500 GET for a win, so I pretty much have to wait until the end of August for the last Geo TB of the month. The only way to get it earlier is if we got 27 stars this TB, which I don't think is going to happen. People are starting to have viable Sep Droid teams, but it's not quite there, yet.

I guess on the bright side, that does give me the opportunity to get the rest of the gear I'll need to jump straight to G13 without spending a bunch of crystals. Climbing with a 6 star Malak is infinitely better than what I had been using in his place--Nihilus.

2. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

I agree that it was frustrating to reach near the end and watch Malak use Drain Life repeatedly. The 3 days is rather harsh too considering the amount of RNG at the end.

I'm set for GET. I have 70k in the bank right now after buying 15 Malak shards. And I bumped him up to G11, just need the Kryo piece to go along with the two that are locked until he's 7 stars. I have the super stun gun ready, but that leaves me 50 stun gun salvage short on the other piece. As for G12, I have one old G12 visor ready and one G12+ thermal detonator in stock. The rest will take a while, but no complaints since I was worried I wasn't even going to get him until earlier today.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  3. Electricboa

Actually, I take that back. I'll have a 7 star Malak much sooner than my estimate. I completely forgot that the HST gives GET. Now, I just need 2 of them to get what I need. That should work out much more nicely. I'll be able to get the gear I need by then.

4. Marc Tessier

Got my Malak to 7 stars and G12 this morning. He needs a multi-tool, chest protector and the finisher for G13. Ended up with 10K GET left, so I should be able to acquire the old G12 gear relatively quickly. I have very few of the kryo salvage he needs for the finisher though, so that will take some time. All in all, pretty pleased though. Malak and D. Revan will be my next two G13s.

Kevthejedi likes this.
  5. Electricboa

Nice. I’ll have enough to 7 star mine by the end of this TW, win or lose. Of course, I might need to refresh the shop a couple times because my luck probably isn’t good enough to have 5 shards there when I’m ready. I already have everything to take him straight to G13. The nice thing is I’ll be able to have it all done before my arena climb. So that should make things even easier now.

And I can start getting G12 gear again. You figure G13 is the next goal post, so I’ll have to start working towards that. As of now, I have 36 G11s, 79 G12s, and 4 G13s. But I have several characters that only need the finisher to get there, like Bossk, Jedi Revan, Padme, GK, etc. I’m thinking about doing Brood Alpha, though, to use in my DR arena team.

Kevthejedi likes this.
  6. Marc Tessier

That's great to be able to take him straight to G13. A big accomplishment to feel good about.

Our collections are similar in numbers, but probably vastly different in the details since you favor the DS and I'm into the LS. Malak gives me exactly 79 G12s and I have 5 G13s (JKR, GMY, Anakin, GK and Grievous). You probably have a pretty good cushion on me in G11s though.

The characters in my collection only needing a finisher include D. Revan, Jedi Training Rey, R2, Raid Han, Chewie and Thrawn.

7. Electricboa

I was curious, so I checked how my LS vs DS looked

G12 LS – 32
    G11 LS – 25
    LS Zetas – 38

G13 DS – 5
    G12 DS – 48
    G11 DS – 10
    DS Zetas – 45​

So I do favor DS, but it’s too one-sided. I actually kind of blame that on the game a little. You figure the DS has Sep Droids, Geos, Sith, FO, BH, NS, Imperial Troopers and general Empire. LS doesn’t have as many teams. You’ve got Jedi, but it’s basically Revan-only. Republic is really only a Padme team right now. Rebels are the biggest group. Phoenix and Rogue One then a CLS team. Ewoks, Old Republic and Resistance, That’s about it. The rest of the Rebels are just random from past metas or pilots. You’ve got about as many teams, but more of those characters can be used in different ones. The DS tends to be more separated.

And you figure I just finished a big push for Geo TB. I’ve not got everyone except Tambor to G12. My guess is when we get the LS version and I have to start gearing Clones, it’s going to get more even again. All my G13s are DS, but that’s entirely because DR is meta and Grievous needs to be G13 to reach his full potential.

A majority of my characters than just need the finisher are LS because Jedi Revan was the last meta and before that, I used CLS to beat Jedi Revan before I got my own. I took a look and here’s my list of those who just need finishers:

CLS
    Jedi Revan
    Bossk
    Jolee
    Chewie
    Thrawn
    Padme
    Traya
    GK
    Sion
    Nest
    Sun Fac
    Sith Trooper​

It’s basically a list of my last two arena teams plus an odd ball like Padme or Nest that I did just because. Rebel Pathfinder, Palpatine, GM Yoda, Geo Soldier, and Nihilus need one G12+ and the finisher.

8. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

My G13 is definitely DS-centric. Between the DR arena team (all G13 for me) and my NS (again, all G13), that makes for a quick 10. I've also done Geo Spy and GG. GBA will probably be next, and then I don't know which direction I'll go after yet. I've been starting to finish gear on Padme's team and clones will likely follow closely after.

9. Marc Tessier

Cool. This made me curious about how my collection breaks down.

LS
    G13 - 4
    G12 - 44
    G11 - 13

DS
    G13 - 1
    G12 - 36
    G11 - 7

Just need a finisher: Darth Revan, Rey (Jedi Training), CLS, Thrawn, Chewie, Traya, R2, Sion, Nihilus, Han Solo, Nest, and Vader.

Those who need one G12+ and a finisher: C3P0, BB8, Bastila Shan, HK-47, and Jolee.

Then there's Padme and Malak, both who need a finisher and one old piece of G12 gear.

My collection isn't as lopsided as I expected, which like you said makes sense since the game swings from dark to light and back again. We naturally just get caught up in the flow.

10. SumiXam

SumiXam Moderator Staff Member

I thought I'd poke around at my collection and see how I stood. Granted, I haven't been overly focused on G13 until recently, so I'm a bit behind the curve there.

LS
    G13 - 2
    G12 - 33
    G11 - 19

DS
    G13 - 0 (though I'm getting close with Grievous)
    G12 - 29
    G11 - 20

Not a huge difference overall, but a slightly tilt towards LS characters. I am working on more DS characters than LS characters right now, so my balance is likely to shift over the next several weeks.

11. NoNames

NoNames Member

12. AhnNu Rie

AhnNu Rie Active Member

I think most people left Juhani and T3 off the list, I know I did the first time around. Hoping my second account can squeak through with a few of them at G11, though I suspect I'll be moving arena mods for them.

Light side was way harder than Dark side.

13. NoNames

NoNames Member

But if JKR/Bastilla/Jolee are G12+, do i need to be worried about Mission and Zaalbar?

Between Juhani and Canderous, Juhani seems an easier gear. And useable in Jedi teams. Not sure what I;d do with Canderous.

14. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

For Darth Malak you need to have all 5 characters you choose to bring in at 16.5k gp minimum. The Light side portion of the fight is MUCH more difficult to beat. And actually a zeta Zaalbar is kind of key to beating the fight with his armor shred. I used JKR, Jolee, Bastila, Mission and Zaalbar. Everyone with their zetas and all at G12. Watch a few videos on the strategy for sure because it's key.

For the Dark side event, it's again important to check out the strategy videos. The fight is MUCH easier since you can abuse the Ferocity mechanic to ramp up Darth Revan's damage to nuke Darth Malak pretty quickly. Gear wasn't super important on your other 2, but they do still need to meet the minimum GP requirement which basically means either G12 or zetas and G10 or G11.

Definitely want to move your best mods over for Light side at least.

15. AhnNu Rie

AhnNu Rie Active Member

I see a lot of Canderous in Old Republic teams with Carth as lead, in my own I run Carth (L), Mission, Big Z, T3, and Canderous. All in all, Juhani is only good for this event, and not much else. Canderous with his constant application of DOTs helps the others in that team.

16. Electricboa

Once all is said and done, you’ll have almost a full Old Republic team, so Canderous would be used there. I think most people had to Zeta Carth to get DR, so you do have a solid team for GA or TW just waiting for you.

Juhani is easier to gear, but she’s not that great. She really doesn’t fit into Jedi Revan teams and he’s pretty much the only worthwhile Jedi team right now. That being said, I chose to gear Juhani over Canderous because she was easier to gear. I didn’t really care too much about an OR team, I just wanted Malak. I do use OR on defense (Carth, Mission, Zaalbar, and Juhani) and I put someone else in the 5th slot like Wampa or Nest. You could always choose to gear up both and have a full OR team. In an OR team, Canderous is better than Juhani any day.

But it really doesn’t matter which one you pick for the Malak event. They really won’t affect the outcome. It’s all about DR, HK, and Bastila Fallen. They do all the work.

17. NoNames

NoNames Member

Whats the mechanic around Malak's energy?
    Do I want to maintain it right above 50% or right below 50% while building Armor Shred stacks?

18. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

I'm not sure what you're referring to with energy. I'm going to assume you mean his health. Ideally you want to keep him right above 50% until you're ready to do a big burst on him with JKR's focused assault thing. The end goal is that you want to burn him far enough below 50% in one go that when he drains someone from his bonus turn, he doesn't go back above 50% so that you can continue burning him without him triggering that bonus turn from going under the 50% mark immediately each time. If I remember correctly, I sought to get 2-3 stacks of armor shred on him and then time it so that I can use JKR's mass assist when Malak is right around 55-60% and go for the kill right then.

It's helpful to let him 'eat' the tenacity up jedi and the crit immunity jedi, since being crit and applying a debuff both trigger fear on your guys. So if you let him get both of those buffs, you'll find yourself getting feared much less frequently.

19. NoNames

NoNames Member

yes, sorry meant health
    Thx. this is helpful.

20. Electricboa

This might be helpful. It more or less covers everythng you need for the LS version of the event: