1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Darth Malak

Discussion in 'Characters, Skills and Equipments' started by Electricboa, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/200778/showdown-at-star-forge

[​IMG]

Looks like Malak is coming and he's going to be the hardest character in the game to get ever. I don't have much of a chance. I'm still working on gearing DR and HK, so getting all these other characters to 17,500 is just not going to happen in 4 days. Zetas might have given me a slim chance, but I decided to use all mine on Revan and HK.

I guess I know who my gears are going to be after Revan and HK are done. I guess that Zeta Carth I have won't get wasted after all. I guess it isn't the end of the world. I'm only really looking at gearing 3 characters.

Jedi Revan, Bastila, and Jolee all are ready. I would probably do Mission and Zaalbar because of their synergy. T3 might be decent, but mine is still level 1 and no gear. At least the other two are G7 already. On the other side, Darth Revan, Bastila, HK, and Carth all are the right GP. That means I only need one more. I would rather do Ordo, but Juhani is already G8. She would be the easier one since I only need one Stun Gun to G9. I need a Stun Gun, Cuff, and Carbanti to get Ordo to G8. She's also not too bad to gear after that.

But all that is academic. There's no way I'll have that in time so Malak is out for me. And that puts even more pressure on me to finish Darth Revan and switch my arena team. Malak will probably kill off what's left of the Jedi Revan meta.

2. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

I suspect there's going to be a lot of players in the same situation as you.

Ultimately, our Arena fates will depend on how many players in our respective shards end up getting Malak during this first window.

The big question, in my mind, is when will this event return. Will it come back before the next Darth Revan window opens? Or does CG create a pattern in which the Malak event always returns shortly after the DR Journey?

I'm fine on the Jedi Revan side as both Mission and Zaalbar are already G12 with zetas. Of course, Bastila Shan and Jolee are up there too as they've been in my Arena squad for quite some time.

As for DR, well I won't have him until his event returns. In the meantime, I'll be gearing up the characters needed to unlock him. I already have Bastila Fallen and zCarth at G12. Now I'll move on to HK-47, who is at G9 right now. Both Canderous and Juhani (94/100) are at G7 so I'll have to gear at least one of them up to G12 to eventually qualify for the Malak event. And once those characters are ready I'll probably have to save gear for Darth Revan's return so I can have him at G12 as soon as possible.

I hadn't seen today's update until I came across a Mobile Gamer video with the news. Boy, was he ever pissed at having to gear these OR characters. It doesn't actually bother me at all. I like that they have introduced a new way to get a character. It's also cool that Malak unlocks at 5 stars and then we finish farming him with Guild Event Tokens.

3. SumiXam

SumiXam Moderator Staff Member

The power gate for this event is kind of low blow with this kind of short notice.

Here is where I'm at with characters:
    JKR -- G12, 27,129
    Bastilla -- G12, 21,330
    Jolee -- G12, 21,400
    T3 -- G8, 13,828
    Mission -- G8, 12,861
    Zaalbar -- G7, 12,544

DR -- G12, 24,033
    Badstilla -- G11, 20,331
    HK -- G11, 19,902
    Carth -- G10, 17,904
    Juhani -- G9, 14,313
    Canderous -- G8, 13,785

Not terrible, but I still don't think I will be able to gear characters in time to get Malak. Oh well ... just another reason to continue my dislike of squad arena and GA.

4. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

Have they released the kit for Malak yet?

5. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

It got released today, looks decent will be pretty tanky, but annihilate will still work.

6. SumiXam

Well, I got Juhani to G11 and dropped a zeta on her to bridge the power gap. The DS battle against Malak is pretty easy and I beat it on my 1st try, though I did lose HK. I've heard the LS battle is brutal and I don't want to spend just to unlock Malak. I'll just start gearing Mission and Zaalbar for the next time it comes around unless I decide to get crazy over the weekend. :p

7. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

The LS version is brutal. It took quite a few attempts and I have Mission and Zaalbar at G12 both with their zetas and a piece or two of G12 gear. It really comes down to a bit of luck and 'some' strategy. You have to essentially stall the fight by continuously killing the droids and whittling down the jedi in the tubes, but you have to let him drain at least the Crit Immunity jedi. It can also be helpful to let him take the Tenacity up jedi too, but I only did the Crit Immunity one. The reason is that whenever Malak gets debuffed, he applies fear to the character that did the debuffing. This will affect Mission and Zaalbar who both apply dots on crit. If you just let him get crit immunity, that will allow you to keep stacking armor shred with zaalbar. You just want to make sure there is an add up when you use it since it has to crit something to apply. Basically you just keep stalling until you have several stacks (4+) of armor shred on Malak, then line it up as best you can to push him well below 50% within one Direct Focus and hope to god that he doesn't pick Jolee to drain. If he picks nearly anyone else, he will remain below 50% and you have a window to nuke him down. If he drains back above 50% you kind of have to go into another holding pattern until your cooldowns are back up.

It took more time than I figured it would with the power level on my squad being well over the minimums for entering the event. I did play around with mods a little bit on zaalbar to give him more crit and damage and speed, since my default mod set on him is super tanky and slow, but that was about it. And my Jedi Revan team is now team B in terms of speed mods and such.

DS was super simple, I got it on the second attempt without even breaking a sweat. You basically stall in a similar fashion while you stack Ferocity on Darth Revan and kill off the jedi in the tubes with AoE's. Then once they are all down and Darth Revan is over about 40 stacks of Ferocity, you nuke the crap out of Malak.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  8. Electricboa

The nice thing with missing Malak this time is I can decide who to gear up. I’d already decided on Mission and Zaalbar for Jedi Revan, but wasn’t entirely sure about Ordo or Juhani. I had Juhani geared more and she’d be easier to get to the required GP. Apparently, the DS battle is all about Revan, Bastila, and HK, so no need to seriously invest in Juhani past the GP minimum.

The tricky part is going to be LS. I really will need to go all the way with Mission and Zaalbar. I should be able to start on them in a week or two. Darth Revan is a few days from G12 and then I have to work on HK. Getting from G11 to g12 doesn’t seem that bad for him.

9. Marc Tessier

I agree that we benefit from the experience of the players who unlocked Malak this time around. I'm set for the LS part although I may give some of the G12 gear to Mission and Zalbaar. As for the DS part, Bastila Fallen is ready and HK just needs two pieces to reach G12 (no zeta, but already 18k+ power). I will probably put at least one zeta on him, but have time to wait right now. Canderous seems to be the consensus choice over Juhani, so I'll gear him after HK. After that, I'll have to hoard gear for the return of Darth Revan's journey.

I'm not sure how many players unlocked Malak in my guild, but I did see 8 on defense in TW. One of them took 15 squads to take out. The others stood for around 3-5 battles.

10. Electricboa

The only reason I'm probably going to do Juhani is because I already have her at G9. Getting Ordo to G9 would take more gear than taking Juhani to G10 would be and she's not too difficult to gear past that point anyway. It's not like anyone other than Revan, HK, and Bastila matter for the DS half of the event. I'll probably get around to Ordo eventually, but Juhani would be for the sake of being ready as quick as possible

And they're buffing Malak more to make it so enemy Sith can't gain TM. A direct counter to Palpatine for no reason.

11. Marc Tessier

There's definitely a reason. It's to stop all the whales from complaining that the hardest character in the game to unlock can be countered fairly easily.

It may not be a good reason, but this is how CG has been operating.

Skywlkr76 likes this.
  12. SumiXam

In reality, you only need Revan for the DS mission. I lost HK early on during my run. Stacking Revan by taking out the droids gets you to the point where you can take out Malak in 2 hits. Everyone else is just fodder.

13. Electricboa

14. Marc Tessier

These events are tough. Taken a couple of cracks at the DS version and once at the LS, but haven't made it yet. I'm at work, so will probably have to wait until later tonight.

Maybe I need to switch to arena mods.

15. Electricboa

Here’s a good guide to what you need to do:

It took me two tries to get the LS one and DS one was easy. LS does require special modding, but DS can pretty much be done with your arena set (I was using DR in arena anyway). HK, DS Bastila, and DR are the only two that matter. I had Carth and Juhani, but they didn’t really do anything worthwhile. Maybe if you had Canderous, but it’s all about getting Revan the kills. Stack up a ton of Ferocity on him and then hammer Malak.

LS was way harder and that video does give you how to mod everyone. It’s not quite what you’d expect. It takes a while, but the gist is to stall until you have 5 Armor Shred on Malak and then hope you can take him out without him bouncing above and blow 50% health. My advice is to make sure Zaalbar has some potency in addition to making him the fastest. One of the reasons I lost on my first attempt was Malak resisted a couple of my Armor Shreds. By the time we got to the final stretch, he only had 2, but I had hit him 5 or 6 times. And the mod set I put on him has +34.83% potency, so he had just shy of 49% potency total. The second time I got 5 stacks. Even then, it was close.

16. Marc Tessier

I'm having a brutal time so far on the LS. No luck at all. I keep getting in a spot where Malak bounces above and below 50% health. He just uses drain life over and over. It's really annoying.

17. Electricboa

How many stacks of Armor Shred are you getting? You also want to mod Revan and Bastila for offense. Crit damage is worthless because Malak will get crit immunity with that strategy. And if you crit, you get Fear anyway. That's why I lost the first time. Without the Armor Shreds, I couldn't get him far enough below 50% that he couldn't heal above it. I almost want to say it's a do or die moment. If he starts bouncing, I'm not sure if you can recover it. You might have one shot if he doesn't take out Revan or Bastila. You can lose Mission and Zaalbar, but the Jedi are key to winning.

What you could try is save your direct focus and get Malak as close to 50% as possible. Then do the mass assist. All you really need is to do enough damage that when he heals he's still under 50%. Then you have a shot at following up.

I did have my arena mods on everyone except Mission. She was only G11 so no Mk 6 mods for her. Zaalbar got my fastest set. Jolee got my 2nd fastest. I have an offense set that went to Revan. Mission and Bastila got non-arena offense sets. For whatever reason, I ended up with way more offense than crit damage sets. The only Zeta I didn't have was on Zaalbar.

Also, make sure Zaalbar doesn't have Shock when you use Street Smarts. I messed up a couple times and wasted it. Don't target Malak when you use it, that will just Fear Mission. It might be too late, but if you don't have an Omega on Zaalbar's basic or Mission's Now You See Me, that might help. Zaalbar's Omega applies DoTs, which trigger Fear. Mission's unique boosts her potecy until she applies a DoT. Ironically, both those hurt you in this event.

18. Marc Tessier

I've been getting 4 or 5 armor shreds. Offense mods are probably my weakest sets. Zaalbar and Mission have all their omegas and both have zetas. Maybe I will strip a bunch of MK6 mods off everyone and start redoing their mods again.

Thanks for the tips.

I am following Ahnald's video guide, so I understand the strategy, but it does seem like a lot of things can go wrong.

19. Electricboa

It could. I don't know how long it took with trial and error to get that strategy. I could have gotten really lucky. My Revan and Jolee had all their G12 and G12+ gear. Bastila just had basic G12 gear. that could have made a difference. Plus, my offense mods were good. That could be why I didn't have to deal with as much RNG. The time I got it was close. I could see how weaker mods could have ruined it for me.

What you could do is use this site to get your best offense set:

https://mods-optimizer.swgoh.grandivory.com/

It could be your best bet to get the most out of what you have.

20. Marc Tessier

I got him. Finally! Was starting to think I wasn't going to get Malak.

What a relief.

Overall, it's a very cool event and I like the Jedi being trapped in stasis to be consumed by Malak. The overall strategy behind the battle was also rather clever. Just wish I didn't need to spend so much time repeating the battle. 5-10 times .... okay, not a problem. But around 30? No thanks.

Geared him up to G9, but am now stuck behind a couple of Nubian Scanners, but I only need small pieces for those. So, I'll farm them later today.

Skywlkr76 likes this.