1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Dark Trooper

Discussion in 'Characters, Skills and Equipments' started by Electricboa, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

Developer Insights - Kit Reveal ]

[​IMG]

UNIT NAME: Dark Trooper
    ALIGNMENT: Dark Side
    CATEGORIES: Attacker, Droid, Empire, Imperial Remnant, Imperial Trooper
    An Imperial Remnant attacker whose abilities are modified by the amount in Dark Trooper Squad

ABILITIES:

Basic: PNEUMATIC PUNCH

[​IMG]

FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage to target enemy once for each stack of Dark Trooper Squad. This ability can't critically hit unless this unit has Advantage.

Special 1: BOMBARDING REINFORCEMENTS (Cooldown 3)

[​IMG]

FINAL TEXT: (ZETA) Deal Physical damage to all enemies. If Dark Trooper has 3 or more stacks of Dark Trooper Squad, Imperial Remnant allies gain Advantage for 2 turns, otherwise Dark Trooper gains 1 stack of Dark Trooper Squad.

Special 2: PERFECT SOLDIERS (Cooldown 5)

[​IMG]

FINAL TEXT: Imperial Trooper allies gain 10% Turn Meter for each stack of Dark Trooper Squad the Dark Trooper has. If Dark Trooper has 2 or more stacks of Dark Trooper Squad, Imperial Remnant allies gain Offense Up for 2 turns, otherwise Imperial Remnant allies gain Offense Up for 1 turn instead.

Unique 1: DARK TROOPER SQUAD

FINAL TEXT: Dark Trooper has 4 stacks of Dark Trooper Squad, 25% of its base Max Health and Max Protection, is immune to Max Health and Max Protection changes and can't be defeated or destroyed while it has more than one stack of Dark Trooper Squad.

If Dark Trooper would be defeated while it has 2 or more stacks of Dark Trooper Squad, instead dispel all debuffs on it, reduce the number of Dark Trooper Squad stacks by 1 and recover 100% Health and Protection.

Dark Trooper has +25 Defense for each stack of Dark Trooper Squad it currently has. Dark Trooper can't be revived and can't be critically hit.

2. Electricboa

So it begins.

Alongside Dark Trooper, Moff Gideon, Death Trooper and Stormtrooper will be given the “Imperial Remnant” tag, with the latter two receiving kit touch-ups to make them even more powerful within their new faction.​

It’s looking like we’re starting to get the Gideon trooper team. Death Trooper and Stormtrooper getting updated likely means they will be the ideal choices for Gideon. Throw in Dark Trooper and all that remains is one support unit to satisfy Gideon’s leadership. I’m guessing Scout or Flame Trooper. Curious they didn’t throw in Shoretrooper, since they appeared on the show.

Stormtrooper’s zeta is getting updated: “to provide Bonus Protection to all Imperial Remnant allies at the start of his turns. (And remember, Stormtrooper is an Imperial Remnant ally of himself)” and Death Trooper has a new basic: “Deal Physical damage to target enemy with a 70% chance to inflict Daze for 3 turns. If the target was already Dazed, Stun them for 1 turn. If the target is a Rebel or the unit in the Ally Leader Slot is Imperial Remnant attack a second time.”

Not great, but better than what they were.

Though with Dark Trooper able to hit multiple times, Range Trooper could be pulled away from Veers. It depends on how it all works out. The Developer Insights imply that Range can assist for each hit, so potentially lots of them. Same with Death Trooper attacking twice under Gideon.

Not sure if Dark Trooper being a droid will matter much. Nothing really jumps out at me, since Grievous won’t be triggered until the final stack is gone.

3. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

Does the synergy suggestions mean that Stormtrooper will get a rework so he won't be the most worthless tank in the game?

Edit:
    Nevermind, I just saw @Electricboa's post. That answers that question.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  4. Themistocles

Themistocles Active Member

Ok so my question for folks like me currently prioritizing resources, unable to pursue a 2nd Imp Trooper team, and therefore using Moff Gideon as a 4th in the Veers Squad (which makes that Imp opener absolutely delicious, you should try it sometime if you haven't)....What should be my stance on making this my 5th and final well geared Imp Trooper?

I was surprised that there wasn't overt synergistic call outs to Moff Gideon himself. I suppose my decision comes down all to the power of that basic and how much damage it doles out without and with Advantage. It looks like to my rudimentary eyes that the kit is set up to make his basic super OP, which given the frequent assist calls in a standard Veers squad with Piett, that's not a bad thing.

And then that special stacking up even more TM advantage to the team? Could be some mind blowing Imp Trooper openers if I keep him and Gideon with my Veers.

That being said, I am a somewhat defensive player, and I do prize Rangetrooper's ability to recover protection. It seems like the choice is going to come down to - do I want overwhelming offense/TM (Dark Trooper), or do I want some protection recovery and nice buffs in case things go awry (Range)?

P.S. To put in perspective my current opener looks like: Piett subterfuge --> Starck buffs --> Veers Mass Assist #1 --> Gideon Mass Assist #2 and TM strip --> Piett AOE --> Starck AOE, and by this point there's not much left alive. I may never get to really use Dark Trooper's TM special or AOE special. But if his basic hits hard enough (even if without critical damage), he might be worth it in this opener...

P.P.S. There might be a shout out for making Dark Trooper the 3rd fastest toon in my Veers squad so I can hit his AOE special to get the advantage, and THEN Veers calls my 1st mass assist as the 4th in that slot.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  5. Electricboa

It’s tough to say just by seeing the kit on paper, but my first impression would be to skip Dark Trooper if you’re just doing one Trooper team. You already have Veers, Starck, and Piett so you’re doing a Veers team. I’ve got Gideon at R5 and he’s amazing. As far as I’m concerned, he should be done either way. Plus for Conquest, removing TM is going to come in handy.

So we’re operating under the assumption that those four are set and you’re just looking for a 5th. The TM special for the Dark Trooper is nice, but I’m not sure it matters. Troopers gain 10% TM under a Veers lead for every buff. Range gives out retribution and protection up, so 20% TM every 3 turns vs 40% from Dark Trooper every 5 turns. But Range lets you call in extra assists, which I think largely eliminates your need for an attacker on your team.

The basic TM order you would want is Gideon > Piett > Starck > Veers > Range

If you put troopers on defense, this helps the AI because Gideon uses the Darksaber first turn. So him going first means he’ll get all the TM from Piett and Starck to get to his special almost immediately. Really, there’s an argument for using the Darksaber first even on offense. Gideon uses Darksaber, Piett uses Imperial Ambition to mark Starck, Starck uses Scan All Wavelengths, then Veers uses his mass assist (preferably on whoever Gideon put armor shred on). That will take out most characters. You’re attacking with offense and crit damage up. Then Range goes and gets retribution out there or Gideon then strips TM and gets another mass assist with all those buffs.

Now, if you think you might want to use Gideon in non-Trooper teams, then maybe Dark Trooper is back on the table.

6. Themistocles

I suppose another consideration is gear crunch. Dark Trooper's kit is definitely intriguing but if it costs me 150 Kyro, 200 stun guns and 300 carbantis to get to G12, it can go take a hike as I can meet my Imp Trooper objectives with the cheaper Range.

Skywlkr76 likes this.
  7. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

That would be a cheap gear if he's a requirement for a new GL.

All signs are pointing to the next pair of GLs coming from the Mandalorian series. But we shall see...

8. Themistocles

Oooooh good call out Marc, forgot that we were going to get new GLs. I think I will gear Gideon for sure and then I'm going to sit on the decision for my 5th Imp Trooper slot as my very last project before I potentially go after SLKR.

This is the wrong forum for this, but I would be slightly lore-miffed if they pulled 2 new GLs from the Mando series. I love me some Mando TV, but let's be real - nobody in that series deserves GL status.

Skywlkr76 likes this.
  9. Electricboa

It’s a new character, so kyrotech is almost certainly going to be required.

I’m not sure about Mandalorian GLs. I mean who would they do? Gideon is the obvious choice for DS, but we already have him. Maybe Snoke in some roundabout way? No idea on the LS version, we already have two versions of the Mandalorian.

As far as who should or shouldn’t be a GL, it’s all subjective. I know a lot of people who are not happy that all the GLs have come from the sequel trilogy. The Mandalorian TV show is the big moneymaker right now and, unlike the sequels, has near-universal praise.

I wouldn’t mind a Thrawn GL, but it seems a bit far out for that.

10. Themistocles

Annnnnnnnd I think that seals the decision for me: https://swgoh.gg/characters/dark-trooper/gear/

300 Kyros just to get to G12, and then of course the finisher for 400 total.

I am reasonably confident that I will still have a lights out Imp Trooper team with Range as my 5th, even if Dark Troopers is utterly amazing.

11. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

My line of thinking is that every GL has had at least a couple of new characters required who become farmable shortly before or after the GLs are announced. The only new characters not farmable at the moment are Dark Trooper and Armorer.

Personally, I have no issue with Mandalorian-based GLs other than that I think it's too soon. They could easily wait another season or two due to its popularity before bringing out Din Djarin and Gideon GLs. As you said, we have 2 versions of Mando already and one of them pilots the Razor Crest. Most players still don't have BAM or Gideon yet, so adding new versions now strikes me as odd.

Would they give us a GL Grogu? Again, that makes no sense to me at this point. I expect we will get multiple versions of him as the show progresses and he gains power and control of his abilities.

Thrawn/Maul and Ahsoka make a nice pair.
    Fallen Anakin and Master Kenobi would probably be the top choice among players.

I'd definitely love a GL Yoda and Master Windu. But that would likely necessitate another version of Sidious/Palpatine, perhaps Chancellor Palpatine.

Unless new marquees come out from another era, I'll be shocked if the next GLs aren't from The Mandalorian.

12. Electricboa

Or maybe not a GL, but something like Malak or GAS. Or even a Hero Journey character. That would get around needing a DS character to balance out a LS GL.

I wouldn’t say no to a Chancellor Palpatine, though. Or even a hologram Sidious. We have Han and Chewie teams, why not Palpatine?

13. Themistocles

Oh dammit, I'm watching Ahnald's stream and that 4x punch basic with an R7 Dark Trooper looks like it's doing some crazy good damage. Argh. Still leaning towards Range though. I'm not planning on relic-ing Gideon and my 5th in this calendar year, so I think I'd rather get all of the buffs and protection that Range throws back on the team.

EDIT: Looking like a 4x punch basic with NO advantage and therefore no crit is landing for 100K+ on relic'd toons like Malak...argh. All those Kyros...

EDIT 2: R7 Dark Trooper just one-shot SEE. He got advantage on him this time, and his basic hit for ~220K+.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Marc Tessier likes this.
  14. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

You do you, but personally, I don't know if I'd base my farming priorities off of one video by an uber kraken that blames his audience every time he screws up.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  15. Themistocles

Haha it was temporary eye wanderlust. I went out, picked up my kids from school, went for a walk, cleared my head, and am resolved to stay on target with Range. I can't afford that many Kyros on that team, when Gideon himself already needs 100 or 150 to get to G12!

16. Electricboa

I haven’t watched anything, but keep in mind all that R7 stuff may as well not exist. The fact that Ahnald takes characters to R7 and just tests them like that is a disservice to everyone who watches. Almost no one will ever R7 Dark Trooper. R5 is more reasonable, but even that isn’t going to be common.

Of course, all that requires a 7 star unit, which we won’t be able to get for months.

My guess is Dark Trooper is going to be more designed for a Gideon team, which will end up being separate from Veers, Piett and Starck. Not going to lie, I’m going to be very tempted to go for a Gideon team because I like Troopers and have Veers, Starck, Piett, Range, Shore and Gideon at R5. I have the gear to take Death Trooper to G13 and have a lot of saved kyrotech. But I need to see the ‘final’ Gideon team to actually make a decision.

Marc Tessier likes this.
  17. Electricboa

I got around to watching Ahnald’s stream (skipping everything but the battles because I value the little sanity I have left).

Dark Trooper seemed interesting, but it really does seem like he’s designed for a Gideon team. The basic hits really hard, but if you’re looking to gear a single Trooper team, I’m not sure he fits. The main problem I see is if you really wanted to fit Dark Trooper on a Veers team, Starck would probably be the one kicked out. He’s a little redundant with Piett there. You need Veers. Gideon is always going to be great with his TM removal. And Range lets them assist, bumping up the damage a lot.

But the vast majority of people going for Trooper teams are going for SEE, who requires Starck. So kicking him out of the final team would be a painful waste of gear, since he’s not all that great anywhere else. I guess you could not use Gideon, though with Conquest, his TM removal is really useful. He does have non-trooper uses.

Right now, Dark Trooper seems like an imperfect fit in a Veers team. There’s little incentive to use his specials (which would make it bad to put Troopers on defense because the AI will use them). Veers is mostly about just powering through someone.

So far, Gideon’s team looks to be more balanced with Stormtrooper and Death Trooper in there. I have no doubt there is at least one more missing character. Whether it’s Scout trooper, Flame trooper, Purge trooper, or whatever. And there’s room for future Troopers like Sandtrooper or Shadow Stomrtroopers.

As far as how much Dark Trooper helped the Veers team, they were able to beat GAS. That was impressive, but not particularly useful since that would have been horrible for banners in GAC. They could stomp SEE, but Troopers could win before, so that’s not a huge difference.

Themistocles likes this.