1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Crystal spending

Discussion in 'General' started by Kiwi, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

I am wondering if it is worth saving crystal for gear. I have 13 charters, including my full rebel team needing fusion furnaces and it takes weeks to months to get the great from raids

Would it be with it to spend the 1400 crystal to buy the gear to upgrade me characters to the next tier? I figure it would take a week or so but that is a lot faster...

https://swgoh.gg/u/kiwistarwars/collection/

2. Empleror Palpestine

Empleror Palpestine Active Member

Here's the way I see it: you can patiently wait and do that, but the Raid gear pack, or use the crystals for refreshes to get the gear yourself, painstakingly, but you KNOW you're gonna get THIS gear and not another f*cking carbanti sensor. However, save crystals either way.

3. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

First, I would stick to refreshes until you have reached the max level. Right now, you're 83 and the cap is 85. Until you hit 85, you want as much exp as you can get. Because once you get to 85, you get a better daily reward than what you get now.

Once you do that, it becomes a little complicated. You're talking about Fusion Furnaces, which are Rancor-specific gear. I'm guessing that the rest of your Guild isn't high enough to be donating raid gear. At that point, it's probably worth it to buy the gear outright, if that is only think holding you back. The same will be true for Tank gear down the road. Gear is the most important part of a character, so if you need it, you need it.

As far as non-raid gear, like Stun Cuffs or Stun Guns, that's more up in the air. If you're high enough in the Arena, it can be worth it. But with three 50 Crystal refreshes now, you can probably end up paying significantly less by doing energy refreshes.

You mock the Carbantis now, but there will come a day when you'll wish to get them from raids.

4. Marc Tessier

Marc Tessier Well-Known Member

there was a time when i had 500 carbanti sensors. Then along came GK and they vanished. And everybody needs them.

5. Electricboa

My story is even worse. Way before GK came out, I had so many Carbantis I just blew them on characters like Fives just because I could. I wish I could take them back now. Fives isn't bad, but I'd rather put them on Baze now.

6. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

I do save crystals for gear, it's the biggest bottleneck in the game. I always use my 50 crystal refreshes first though. There's economics with which gear to buy, some is overpriced junk, others are actually good value.

Mk 5 Fusion Furnace - in the early days the only thing I would buy. For 1400 (11.57 per salvage) crystals this is a bargain, as it contains 50 of the pit raid salvage, 50 mk 6 syringes (challenge gear but need 1000's) which go for 1400 crystals on their own, 20 mk 3 holoprojectors which go for 300 crystals on their own.

Stun guns - mk 4 you'll have 100's of from the challenge, these sell for 1400 (70 per salvage). Avoid at all costs, imo this is here to trick people.
    Mk 5 are the ones you want, these sell for 1274 (25.48 per salvage) for the stun gun part only (which I might buy if I have the carbanti's available), or for over 2500 (25 per salvage) crystals fully crafted (including the carbanti's). Definitely not worth 2500 crystals when the carbanti's only require patience.

Stun cuffs - sell for 1400 (28 per salvage), I have bought these on occasion as drop rates can be horrible. As long as you are getting an average of 2 drops for every 120 energy it's cheaper to farm them.

Mk 3 holoprojectors - 300 (15 per salvage) crystals, and need loads of them. IMO these are worth buying, but only when you need them for a gear blockage.

Other pit raid crafted (scanners, design tech, droid callers) - personally I don't, I wait for these to be farmed from the pit. I might buy the pit salvage from the shard shop when I have someone who needs it and it's causing a gear level blockage.

AAT raid gear - I buy this if it's blocking me from getting an arena toon to the next gear level, otherwise I wait for it.

750 (15 per salvage) crystal gear that goes with gold challenge gear - same as aat raid gear, I will buy this when it's blocking me from getting a toon to the next gear level, and only if I have enough of the challenge gear to craft it (which is always).

1400 (23.33 per salvage) crystal gold challenge gear - avoid, you get it from challenges and will end up with 100's you can't use.

7. Electricboa

^Everything @Kevthejedi said.

I'll only add that the MK 3 Holoprojectors do actually show up for Credits in the same shop. If you're really strapped for Crystals, you'll usually see it maybe once or twice a week. But they are definitely worth getting for 300, if you can afford it. Even with 50 Crystals per refresh, it's very likely to end up costing you 300 or more with the drop rates.

The only one I might see a deviation is the Carbantis. They are free from the Gear Challenges, but they are used by so many characters that it's very common to have them hold you back. General Kenobi is a prime example. He needs 450 of them to get to G11. It's possible to earn a max of 25 Carbantis each time the Challenge is open and it's open 3 times a week. Realistically, you'll probably get 15 because RNG hates us. Is 1,400 Crystals worth a week of your time? If you're ranking high enough in the Arena, it might be.

So it really does come down you. You said on another topic you were staying in the top 200, so that's 75 Crystals per day. Unless you're buying that month-long Crystal pack, It won't be practical for you to save up for much of anything, unless it's raid gear that you never get. At 75 Crystals a day, it would take you 19 days to earn enough to buy a Fusion Furnace. That does only count Arena earnings, but you're still talking a good 2 weeks. In that time, you could probably earn any farmable gear with the natural 45 Energy increases supplemented by a 50 Crystal refresh or two.

I would almost go further. For anything other than Raid gear, I wouldn't consider buying anything outright unless you're getting rank 20 or better. At 50-21, you get 150 Crystals, which will let you use all three 50 Crystal refreshes. Again, that's assuming you're completely FTP. If you're not opposed to spending a little the 21 Day Daily Crystal pack is the best deal they have. You get 2,200 Crystals over 21 days for $10.99

8. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

This is a valid point, I made the assumption that all gear for credits in the shipments store is always bought at every refresh. The cost is covered by your normal energy expenditure anyway, always make sure you buy all of the shipments salvage that is for credits.

I count the carbanti's from the challenge to average at 1 crafted a week. I know it's slow, but an aat gear piece you need could take months to drop so I always prioritise that above the challenge gear. I know what you mean though, I'm in carbanti hell at the moment, I need another 212 to max GK on unlock (got everything else), then I'm looking at Nihilus, Chirrut, Baze, the last 2 stun guns for R2, phoenix squad needs a bunch if I get them to 5* on time for Thrawn.... ARGH!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  9. Marc Tessier

Carbanti hell ... ain't that the truth.

I need one stun gun to get Poe to G11 and then my Resistance squad will all be at G11 and just needing a zeta on Finn.
    I also need 2 stun guns for R2 and torn on whether to give them to him now since they won't bump him up a gear level.
    Baze needs 350 carbanti. I've got him sitting at G7 and 11/65. Would love to start on him, but .....
    I have been neglecting the Dark Side of late and was thinking I should finish Nihilus next since I managed to finish his shards last week.
    Then of course, Jedi Luke looms and I will want to have gear ready for him. I'm thinking I will do what I can this month gear wise and then starting hoarding everything for Jedi Luke.

10. SumiXam

SumiXam Moderator Staff Member

@Kevthejedi hit the nail on the head. I also buy the full mk3 holoprojectors for 300 crystals, but only when I need them.

@Empleror Palpestine has it all wrong with carbantis. Sorry man, you just do. There are so many good characters that need carbantis it is absolutely ridiculous. It is the one challenge gear piece that I never mind getting as Rancor raid rewards because I need far more than I can reasonably farm right now. Clones need them, Baze, GK, and pretty much any other decent character needs at least 150 of them, usually more.

The funny thing is that I finally unlocked GK last night and had all of the carbantis saved up that I needed, but I came up short on stun guns. :mad:

11. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

Good job on getting GK, is he going straight into your arena squad? I have 14 haats to go until unlock, my Jedi are already making the top 5 regularly in arena so I'm hoping he'll be the boost I need to get more defenses as well and secure a top spot.
    I've been farming stun guns for the past few weeks to get enough saved up, I get about 1 a week with 3 refreshes a day and working around guild activities.[/user]

12. Marc Tessier

Congrats on unlocking GK. Me thinks you're going to enjoy using him.

13. SumiXam

SumiXam Moderator Staff Member

As soon as I get him to G11 I'm going to start messing around with new arena comps. I think I need about 20 more salvage and then it's on.

Thanks!

14. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

Very very helpful thanks.

Here is another question. At this point I use extra Crysta on Cantina battles. Is it smarter to not do that and use the crystal on regular battles?
    I also generally use energy on hard battles for extra shards. What are your thoughts there? Use the three 50 crystals refreshes on shards or on gear items like stun cuffs ECT which I have farmed before.

15. Kevthejedi

Kevthejedi Active Member

This is always the balancing act. I only refresh cantina energy when it's the guild activity, because gear is the biggest bottleneck and cantina energy just gives me more mouths to feed. The exception to this is when you're specifically farming a cantina toon to enhance your arena team, although to max out gear takes so long there's little point in getting someone to 7 stars before they're viable anyway - do you really want 40 7* toons you can't even use because they're all under-geared?

My normal energy I currently use on 3 hard nodes to farm shoretrooper, baze, and nihilus. This fulfills my daily requirements, and they're all power toons to benefit existing teams. The rest of the energy is aimed at gear I need for my current priority toon. I work on one toon at a time until I get blocked by raid gear, then work the next until I can go back to the top priority.

16. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

I like that. That makes sense. I can still farm RG and when I'm high enough base. But doing the rest on gear is probably the best. Yes I'm pretty stuck on raid gear ATM...

I guess using energy to level and get gear is best then maybe use crystal on gear such as raid gear.
    Changes my perspective quite a bit. I'll just use normal Cantina energy on tie fighter piolet to finish that for empire.

17. Empleror Palpestine

Empleror Palpestine Active Member

@Electricboa I mock my 587 of them now, but I'll wish I had more than 282 of them later.

18. Marc Tessier

It is a balancing act. There are a lot of great characters in the Cantina missions, but you will almost always have more characters needing gear than the other way around.