1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested, PM NeoCHI.

Capital Ship Redirect?

Discussion in 'Squad Help' started by Themistocles, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

So same guy who posted the post-Thrawn resourcing thread. This is a decision that I can make in parallel to my current build up...

When I reentered the game a couple months ago and discovered ships - I was elated, and in a fit of Star Wars nerd fan nostalgia, immediately started hammering Ackbar, Home One and various light side ship grinding as that's where my movie tastes guided me.

...unfortunately now, after researching, I realize I should have plowed that time into Executrix. Especially since I already have a 50ish Moff Tarkin I should have been levelling instead of Ackbar. Doh.

So here's the deal. I know I need rebel light side ships to get a 7* Chimera. And I've got some of those in Biggs/2x Phoenix. They're all fairly leveled by now (~70 3-4 star). Home One is 72, 4*. Should I bite the bullet and finish out Home One? I'm a hell of a way's out obviously from Han's MF. But is it worth unlocking Chimera at say 5-6*?

OR...should I raise my hand, say I screwed up, and start at this point on enhancing Executrix? Problem is I don't have much in the way of dark side ships, and I won't be working on DS toons for a while as I'm still working on Phoenix. I'm now at the point where everyone's 5*, Hera/Ezra's 6. I could redirect my fleet creds towards Tie Advanced, but I like saving those to get Ezra to 7* at the moment. I think no later than 2 weeks, everyone should be 7* for sure and I should be freed up to pursue Moff Tarkin's stars (and Tie Fighter Pilot if he's really necessary? Not sure?) hard. Other than that, I've got a crap Imp Tie and FO Tie with crap toons backing them up right now...

2. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

Yes, Chimera is a great ship even at 5 or 6*. It's no longer considered the current meta for fleet arena or GAC, but I regularly use it for Dark Side Geonosian Territory Battles. In fact, it almost guarantees a won mission in combination with Hound's Tooth. So it will remain useful for that purpose. We use it as well for Territory Wars with the Geo ships usually for our defense, though I expect this will change over time as more people get the new four capital ships and fleets up to snuff.

The primary problem you'll find by focusing in that direction is that Executrix is needed for the fleet challenge which awards zeta materials. This is one of the most consistent ways to earn this rare currency. The zeta materials are needed to unlock some of the more powerful skills on your characters. Basically the next tier to the omega abilities. If you browse through some of the abilities that are unlocked by them, you'll see why they are powerful. There are really only two primary ways to acquire these materials, one is the 3x weekly challenge that uses Tarkin's ship. The other is the fleet arena shop. You need 20 of them for each zeta ability you upgrade, so they are something that you'll need a lot of (I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 95 zeta abilities unlocked). There are many of these abilities that are considered essentially required for your teams to function properly.

As I mentioned in the other thread, coming up with a plan is going to be key for you. You can't work on everything at once. Ships is complicated by needing not only the ship leveled up, but also needing the pilot(s) leveled up. In your situation, I would probably work on the rebels you're already working on and then shift to darkside ships when you start working on empire and bounty hunter characters for Credit Heist and R2-D2.

This is one of the nice things about the pillar system, it takes both fleet and normal characters into account in the plan it creates. If I remember when I get home from work today, I'll find the link to a spreadsheet you can use to help you. If you don't already have it linked, I would recommend going to http://www.swgoh.gg/ and set up an account on that site and link your game to it. It makes it much easier to view your roster and has some nice tools like being able to see what gear will be needed for your characters before you unlock them (or the gear level required to see it in-game). The spreadsheet I'll find for you can connect to your swgoh.gg link and import all your character data and help you see where you need to focus.

Themistocles likes this.
  3. Electricboa

Electricboa Moderator Staff Member

You can use LS ships under a DS capital ship, but you are sort of forced into DS at least a little because of Zetas. Dagor covered that. Zetas are one of the most valuable resources in the game because of how scarce they are and how much they can improve characters. It’s also something you can’t really buy, which is unusual for CG. The earlier you access the Zeta challenge, the better. You’ll want to start collecting them ASAP.

As far as capital ships, things are more skewed towards DS early on. Even if you don’t take Zetas into account, the DS capital ships (Tarkin and Thrawn) are just generally better than the LS ones (Ackbar and Windu). And it’s mostly because the DS ships don’t really have a lot of synergy. They do boost Empire ships a little, but most of their stuff really can work with anyone.

Chimaera (Thrawn) – The best of the early ships because it combines key features of other capital ships into one package. It can heal, give you buffs, and debuff the enemy. Its ultimate is an instant kill that also heals one of your own ships and stalls the enemy capital ship ultimate for a turn. Another very useful feature of this ship is its basic is just having one of your own ships attack with bonus damage. In most cases, the capital ship basic is the weakest ability because it doesn’t do much. Thrawn calling a ship in opens up a lot of possibilities.

Executrix (Tarkin) – Very aggressive capital ship that’s mostly used to boost the offense of his allies. He can give his team offense up, which is why you often see Geonosians used under him (until Malevolence) because a Geo team with offense up and a mass assist can do a ton of damage. The other key feature for Tarkin is his Ultimate. It’s a 12-hit attack spread out over the other team. It’s more valuable in the early game when those hits can do some serious damage to weaker ships.

Home One (Ackbar) – If you have the Falcon, it’s one of the best teams outside of the top meta. Without the Falcon, it’s a mediocre capital ship. The whole gimmick for this ship is healing and assist attacks. Its basic calls in an assist, but unlike Thrawn, it’s random. It has an AOE mass assist. You get to do a lot of attacks, but if your ships can’t hit hard enough, it won’t matter much. That’s pretty much where the Falcon comes in. It makes or breaks the Rebel fleet.​

Endurance (Windu) – Pretty much the worst capital ship in the game. It has heavy Republic synergy, which limits it to general use ships. Unlike the other ships, everything about the Endurance is defensive-based. You have to win pretty much purely though your ships.​

I guess I can talk about the others, though keep in mind all these are going to be wy outside your reach for a while:

Negotiator (GK) – One of the top two capital ships in the game, and the reason that Windu’s ship will pretty much be the worst ship in the game forever. This has heavy Republic synergy to the point that (outside of a couple exceptions), you pretty much have to use Republic ships with it to be any good. But people who were going for GAS ended up needing to gear most of the pilots for the event or the 501st team afterward, so you ended up with people rocking a largely G13 fleet of Republic ships. Outside of the Negotiator, most Republic ships really don’t fare that well. But that’s what happens as you get towards the end game. High synergy is what makes or breaks the top teams.

Malevolence (Grievous) – The other top meta fleet right now. It’s less common because the pilots really didn’t fall into place with another event. You basically need Separatist and droid ships here. It’s a mirror of the Negotiator. High Separatist synergy keeps everything together. The bright spot is you don’t have pilots for the Vulture Droid and Hyena Bomber, which make it slightly easier. But most people go for GAS anyway, so it’s kind of moot. Both this and Negotiator require GET II currency, which is the hardest to get right now.

Raddus (Holdo) – The first of the two newest capital ships, and probably the weaker of the two. Heavy Resistance synergy and reliant on Rey’s Falcon to be a threat. For the most part, the reason it’s ‘better’ than the first four I listed is because the people who are using it went for Galactic Legend Rey and have G13 pilots. That makes a ton of difference in viability. The lower geared pilots you use, the weaker this ship gets. And on top of that, it requires specific obscure ships to unlock that are mostly designed to make people spend money.

Finalizer (Hux) – Pretty much the same as the Raddus, but with FO instead. You need obscure ships to unlock it, so the only reason you’d get it at all is if you’re really into ships or specifically going for GL Kylo. But of the two, the Finalizer is probably better than the Raddus because the FO ships are generally better than Resistance. Both the Finalizer and Raddus can play with the Negotiator and Malevolence, but we are talking with G13 pilots, which you’re only going to have if doing Galactic Legends. No one is taking FO TIE Pilot to G13 for kicks.​

So there is a ceiling with ships, and it usually comes into play if you’re doing an event for a specific character. Malevolence is probably the least tied to an event, but you’ll end up going for GAS or a GL when you’re in the end game anyway. Chimaera is going to be your goal before you can get the Falcon. Once you can get the Falcon, then Ackbar. Tarkin is primarily for Zetas and maybe as a filler fleet in TW.

4. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Hi guys - so just picked up my 6 star Executrix. I've mostly focused on getting the zeta fleet challenge knocked out, which then put me in a position to 6 star Executrix. Now with my next ship focus being Han's MF, I suppose I'll naturally have to 7 star 3 DS bounty hunter ships.

Is it worth putting in the time and effort on the other DS ships to 7 star Executrix? I am going to of course continue to level up my Hound's Tooth and my Darth Vader Tie Advanced, so I suppose I'll be putting in the effort regardless. Or should I direct my focus more towards gearing up my Ghost/Phantom/Biggs/Wedge to take on Chimera? I already have her 5 starred.

Also I can't find any articles online that speak to the gear levels needed for the 7 star Executrix or 7 star Akbar challenges. Is pilot G10-G12 needed for 7 star tiers in general for those fleet events?

5. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

6. Skywlkr76

Skywlkr76 Active Member

It's been awhile since I've done them, but I don't seem to remember the gear requirements being that high for these.

Themistocles likes this.
  7. Dagor

Dagor Active Member

If I recall correctly, the target is like G9-10 for all the original capital ships and Chimera

Themistocles likes this.
  8. Electricboa

I’m afraid I don’t really remember the gear minimums for the basic capital ships. It’s just been too long and back then fleet battles were 5v5. By the time they switched to a 3v3 format and adjusted events accordingly, my ships were so powerful I just autoed everything. I'd go with Dagor. G9/G10 sounds right.

As far as getting the Executrix to 7 stars, you’ll get that naturally when you go for the Falcon. All the BH ships are DS and you’ll need them at 7 stars to get the Falcon at 7 stars. It just works itself out, no need to go out of your way for it.

Themistocles likes this.
  9. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Hi all, my Vet question of the week is now around zetas.
    My first two zetas I put on Bossk since Chewie 7* is my primary focus. Next focus after that is JTR.
    That being said, I'm halfway to my next zeta. Thoughts on my next one? My thoughts are:

1) Greef - I'm loving the playstyle of the BHs. I know they're not top tier, but they're fun for me. I am levelling up Greef and will gear him to an equivalent standard of my Chewie-capable BH team. I think Greef's zeta might really help solidify them as a defensive presence on my GAC team.
    2) Palpatine - Empire is my current squad arena team, although obviously not forever. Faction changing zeta, but limited lifespan right? I am currently hovering around 490 in squad arena, and sometimes get bumped back out to the 500s. The 400 folks are obviously better geared than my squad (which is 74K and has no zetas). A zeta on Palp could help keep me more consistently competitive and keep my squad currency higher?
    3) Jolee - I know everybody zetas Eh That Looks Bad, so I could knock this out, but this seems rather early to do so.
    4) Mission - looking ahead to Malak, I could zeta her Big Z and Me to just knock that out of the way.
    5) Looking past JTR, I plan on levelling Chief Chirpa on the side to get ready for C3PO. I could zeta his lead. I've seen G9 successful videos based on his zeta lead, and I'm willing to make the tradeoff in order to save gear.

I'm leaning towards Palp for bang for the buck although it might get outdated in the long run. Or is that a massive mistake?

10. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

PS I also have Chewie and R2D2 if one of them for some reason has a zeta that is super valuable.

11. Electricboa

Do you mean Jedi Training Rey (JTR) or Jedi Knight Revan (JKR) is your goal after Chewie? Rey is not really worth it at this point unless you’re going to go all the way on GL Rey.

Greef has two zetas. The one you would be looking at is Sweeten the Deal. Bring them in Cold is less useful. That being said, he wouldn’t be any help to you getting Chewie as he is not farmable right now. He would increase the effectiveness of your BH team, but I’m not sure it’s worth boosting your BH team when you’re still trying to finish other teams.

Palpatine also has two zetas, but I’m assuming you’re talking about the leadership. It’s a very good zeta. Palpatine might not beat the top of the meta anymore, but his zeta leadership is very solid and gets a lot of use even in the end game. His unique is decent, but more of a marginal improvement than game changing.

Jolee’s zeta is key to a JKR team. It’s what makes it such a resilient team and great. It’s also useless if you don’t have a Jedi team, so it’s probably not worth it right now. You will do it down the road, but there’s no real immediate benefit.

Mission’s Zeta is not really necessary, but could be important for getting her to the minimum GP needed to qualify for the Malak event. She either has to be G12 + 1 gear or G11 + Zeta to meet the minimum. Zaalbar should be G12, so a lot of people make the judgement that it’s easier to give Mission a zeta than to give her gear.

As far as I know, the Chirpa zeta is all but required to get C-3PO at lower gear. I’m sure a full G12 or G13 team could do it without, but it isn’t worth going that far on Ewoks. Once you have C-3PO, they start to lose viability quickly. You can beat low end FO teams with Ewoks, but that as people gear FO more. If you have the rest of your Ewoks geared and can go ahead and do C-3PO now, I guess you could. But if you still need to gear or farm the rest of the team, it isn’t worth tying up a zeta like that for nothing.

Chewie’s Loyal Friend zeta is nice for some passive healing. It’s not that big of a deal. I don’t think it’s the best one you’re looking at. The Raging Wookiee zeta isn’t all that useful. You can easily skip it. That’s the thing, you might see a bunch of people have a particular zeta, but they could have gotten it when that character was meta and wanted them to be as strong as possible, even if the zeta wasn’t that great. Or they might just have a bunch of zetas and not care about spending them.

Both of R2’s zetas are very useful and I would say long term, you will want them. But they’re only useful on LS teams, specifically Rebel, Resistance, and Republic. Right now, you really won’t be able to take advantage of them. But keep it in the back of your mind, you will get around to it eventually.

Overall, I’d say Palpatine’s leadership is probably the one you would want to do. Maybe Chirpa, if your Ewoks are already ready for the event.

Themistocles likes this.
  12. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Whoops! JKR not JTR is my target after Chewie and a G12 BH squad.

13. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

And thanks for confirming my hunch Electricboa. Palp it is for the bang for the buck.

14. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

So...RNGesus was with me and I managed to unlock 4 star Y-wing. So...one of my side projects is to get Home One to 7 stars so I can start progressing against Chimera.

In my rush to get DS levelled up and fast, my LS ships got neglected a bit, and I realize I really don't have a tent pole ship I can rally around like my DS fleet does with Houndstooth.

So which of these LS ships should I level up first to give me that cornerstone LS Home One ship?

1) 5 star HMF? I am probably 6 weeks of IG-2000 grinding away from unlocking 6 star HMF. Han Solo is 5 star and I'm 2 weeks of raiding away from getting him to 6. Chewie is 5 star and Im about 3 weeks away of Jango and Bossk grinding to get him to 6 star.

2) 4 star Y wing? There's no way Im going to get it to 5 star by the time the event ends.

15. Electricboa

Well, the best LS fleet you can build at the moment will be Rebels. Everything Rebel revolves around the Falcon. You lose the Falcon, you just lose. So that’s your cornerstone ship. But you really don’t have to split DS and LS ships. The challenges are really the only place it happens and it’s something that’s going to be a non-issue in time, since they’re not that difficult.

For everything else, you can use the HT with the Falcon on a Rebel team. Most people do. HT can work with just about any fleet.

Down the road, you’ll branch out into multiple fleets and eventually synergy can lead you to specialize more. But HT is kind of the exception even then. I use my HT with my Negotiator fleet.

As far as Rebels, it kind of depends on how far you want to go with them. Here’s the ‘ideal’ pure Rebel Fleet:

Falcon, Biggs, Bistan

Phantom, Cassian, Y-Wing, and Ghost/Wedge

There are some issues with it. First, you probably don’t have Biggs geared. At one point, he was meta (so was his ship), so a lot of more longtime players will have him ready. Phantom and Ghost are a little like that because at one point Phoenix was required for Hoth TB, so people geared them. With Geo TB the new focus, there’s not as much incentive for gearing the Phoenix beyond just getting Thrawn. Same with Cassian and Rogue One. Used to be needed for Hoth, but not so much now. Wedge is a remnant of the time when Biggs was meta.

The hardest one is Bistan’s U-wing. Only people who were really into ships bother to gear Bistan and Scarif Pathfinder because they both characters are pretty much trash for squad teams and they both happen to be incredibly difficult to gear. Unfortunately, Bistan ends up being the ship that takes the Rebels to the highest level. Almost certainly not worth it for you.

So what do you really need? Falcon is required. You can get away with Biggs and HT as the rest of your starting three and it would be solid. Phantom makes flooding the field with ships easier, so would be recommended. Cassian is soft required for any Falcon mirror matches. It’s key to taking out an enemy Falcon. As long as you have the Y-Wing, I guess it doesn’t hurt. It might make fighting enemy HT easier.

The Falcon needs Rebel ships to actually assist, so the more you have, the better. It’s basically going to come down to how much you want to invest in them.

Right now, the two best fleets are Separatists and Republic. Both of them require specialized ships and the capital ships are locked behind GET II currency. Unless you’re in a guild doing Geo TB, that’s a bit of a deal breaker for the time being.

Outside of those two fleets, I would say the Rebels/Falcon is the nest best fleet you can do. It can win on offense against both of the top fleets, so it’s not like going all the way would hurt you down the road. And you can feel pretty safe that Rebels will eventually make a meta comeback. The Rebel Y-Wing is a solid boost to them.

The other two fleets are FO and Resistance. Neither is worth considering. They’re really just a side-effect of getting a galactic legend. Both capital ships require obscure ships to unlock and even then they aren’t that great.

16. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

Thanks as always for the advice Boa, but I should clarify - my near term objective is with getting Home One up to 7 stars, and ashamedly I can't even clear the 6 star event due to lack of oomph - one ship usually nearly gets wiped out in the first wave. So to that end, what can help me progress Home One faster? A tanky Y-Wing or a beefed up Han's MF?

Last edited: May 27, 2020 at 4:15 PM
  17. Electricboa

For that, the Y-Wing or Biggs. You need a tank. Or maybe wait until your ships are stronger.

Themistocles likes this.